Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Originally Posted by Xader That's a joke, right? "Large volumes" have nothing to do with ... BlackBerry Storm forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    That's a joke, right?

"Large volumes" have nothing to do with it.

Volume is an independent variable.

You only have to write the software once!

I call shenanigans!
    GREAT point !

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    I love threads like this, much more interesting than the usual "downloading now..." stuff (which is good too, but..). While I'm not in most people's league when it comes to getting all the latest phones (still have my 8100 over 2 years) I do pay attention to what's going on in the world, and I think that the RIM dude's statement is pretty benign. He probably wishes he hadn't said it, but they probably wish they hadn't botched the Storm launch too. It aint' that tough to do a launch right IMO. And here's how:
    1. Launch no later than mid October for the holiday crowd. Black Friday is way too late. Classic botch example: Microsoft Zune Mp3 player. Classic example of doing it right. Ipod launches. Classic launch that was too late: Storm. All the big money had been spent, only the crumbs were left by the time the phone became widely available.
    2. Know that only about 10% of people will ever change the OS that comes with the phone. Etch that in stone, pay attention. Even if the update icon appears on the Storm screen it ain't gonna happen. So make it work the first time, that's the only chance you'll get 90% of the time. Don't tell yourself that's gonna change with time, because it isn't. Just cause you want it to be that way won't make it happen.
    3. Because people can take the phone back within 30 days means it has to make them happy right away. Not after reading about it and updating. Right away. Apple gets this right most of the time. RIM used to, then the Bold/Storm came along. People took them back, people that I know. Not people here because they're diehards and are willing to mess with it. I'm talking about the nonbusiness users. The business users do what their company tells them to do. Barack Obama uses an 8700 for goshsakes. My pal who's a VP for a national title company has an 8700 too. She can afford any phone but that's what she has. And she doesn't know how to do squat on it, only talk and email.
    4. ATT has problems with their network. Word is getting out. Before you release any more ATT phones make sure their network is fixed. They were part of the iPhone and the Bold launch screwups. You will not see this with the 8900 launch with Tmob, mark my word.
    5. Archer will fire up one of his BBs any day now!
    Last edited by TheBigNewt; 01-27-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    sadly, for all my blunt honesty, the final truth for me is that there is no better group of handset/os combo on the market that covers the needs of corporate/consumer with the level of reliability/useability and the nearest would be nokia/symbian. google's android has a lot of promise, but still quite a ways to go, and understandably so seeing the difference in time frame between it's development and the more established names. WM is still utterly unacceptable, Palm has yet to prove its new OS (though it also looks promising), and the rigid and feature lacking OS of the fisherprice phones (sidekicks) are not even worth an honorable mention. end of the day I really am forced to take the abuse or to go a inferior product, but the one thing that has changed is I now will be looking for a new upcomer and will happily make the change when a superior product arises.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    The iPhone doesn't work at all for you. I realize WM is a laugher and the GPhone is pretty new, but the OS for iPhone is very easy to figure out (one of my points), it's a good telephone (at least 2/3 of cellphone users still rate this as the most important thing).
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Arch is just protesting for a brief while. And I agree with his sentiments regarding the audacious arrogance and ineptitude expressed by Mr. Balsillie who's attitude I hope changes dramatically, and very soon.
    Respectfully my position is not one of protest, but rather one of calm acceptance of RIM's choice. I am the CEO of a huge international company which I founded. I would never speak to any of my customers in the inappropriate way that RIM has. Anyone and everyone is free to stand up and provide excuses for RIM. That is their right.

My right is to immediately stop using their products. A right that I have invoked in a flash. I am a man of decisive action, not reaction. I was prepared for the worst, as I always am, therefore I simply removed the sim from my Bold, and immediately switched to my newly recieved Android powered smartphone.

I saw this coming. Did I expect this exact statement and detail... no. However I just had a feeling that the other shoe would drop soon, as they have gone on for too long without responding to the issues at hand. Then to issue this "in your face" statement was the final straw. I have no time for that type of attitude.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
    ATT has problems with their network. Word is getting out. Before you release any more ATT phones make sure their network is fixed.
    Here is my experience and that of my company, a large scale enterprise that is centered on the AT&T network. For well over a year I have personally used the AT&T 3G network on a variety of new smartphones. Beside usage in my local area I travel all over the state of CA. My findings with smartphones based on WM / Symbian / Android & Recently the 3G Bold reveal a network that is stable, very fast, and one that provides terrific reliability as well as great voice quality. Is it perfect? No. Have there been outages? Yes. However it's also important to note that I have other smartphones activated with T-Mobile and Verizon (until terminating VZW two days ago) and of those three the AT&T network has served me best. Finally do I claim that AT&T is the best 3G network in the US? No, and why? Because in my experience the best network for you is not based on what phones they offer, but rather how strong the coverage is in your area. That is why when people ask me who has the best network I say to them, go out and try the top three in our area and decide for yourself. Remember Stackers, the coverage maps from each carrier are designed to sell you their service and are notoriously wrong. That is why they each offer trial periods. By taking advantage of that you will be certain to find the best network for you.

Cheers

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Good point archer

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I do not live or die by a BlackBerry,
    I'm more than happy to change my usage patterns and enjoy another smartphone.

Nothing like being prepared I say.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    As Archer said, Apple is really really looking good right now ...
    Apple has always looked good. The GUI is very nice and works great. As an iPhone 3G owner and Bold user I just wish Apple would issue a few more updates. I have a love/hate relationship with Apple & RIM right now and I really want to resolve it

Xader no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    the best network for you is not based on what phones they offer, but rather how strong the coverage is in your area.
    That is EXACTLY what pushed me from Sprint to T-Mobile.

When I was going to school, Sprint had the best service in the town my school was in, and on the road to home.

Now that I have begun a career in my hometown, I have found that Sprint's service is sub-par within my town, and have migrated to the best service locally, TMO

PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Lol I'm waiting for something awesome through Verizon currently storm is awesome for me!

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    archer, without a BB........ I dont know what to say.....I agree, but still shocked...... sell your stock in RIM if you have any.. cuz its gonna be an ugly year! The inflated BB ''hype'' will start coming down. Now I dont think they will lose a vast amount of followers, however they wont be increasing market share the way they have done in the last 2 years. Everyone I know personally, including myself who got a BB in the past year, has either given up on BB, or is carrying a 2nd non BB device.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 01-27-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with Apple & RIM right now and I really want to resolve it
    There is a message here: from you, to you, it's time to make a change.

Personally I am so relieved to have made the move I did and today is only day one. No issues, just enjoy it and get on with life. I'm loving every minute of it. Android is going to surprise a lot of people. And you know what? So are a lot of other great smartphones.

Why allow RIM to flip you off, and still take more of your money?
    What is wrong with people that they are so weak?
    BlackBerry Users are being mocked by RIM and eating it up.
    Sad really , where are the people with a backbone?
    To allow a company to tell you to "deal with it"... are you kidding me?
    And all day today there are people here defending RIM.

RIM is laughing all the way to the bank with your money.
    And people cant wait for the next new BlackBerry so they can cough up another several hundred for a do it yourself (don't call us) BlackBerry....you gotta be kidding???

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    ..therefore I simply removed the sim from my Bold, and immediately switched to my newly recieved Android powered smartphone.
    Well since you made the change and all, mind hooking a ninja up, mr. CEO? No point having it collect dust.

I'll cover the shipping. ;0)

PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Lol man I wish I had a personal ninja!

williamsj83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305845BF
    Wow is like hes saying if you dont like buggy phones then dont by a phone made by RIM.....