Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A coworker bought a Storm 9530 from ebay. It didnt come unlocked but came with ... BlackBerry Storm forum

pooyanc64 no está en línea Stack level 1

Permanently locked Storm?

Advertisement

A coworker bought a Storm 9530 from ebay. It didnt come unlocked but came with an unlock code. He got me to punch in the code which didnt work. After I tried a few times I told him to contact the seller and make sure he was sent the proper code. Well I guess he tried putting the unlock code in a few times as well and it still didnt work. He then contacted an unlocking service and got a new unlock code (different from the original sent with the phone), he gave me the new info, but now when I enter MEP2 the unlock dialogue box does not come up. Is the phone permanently locked? and if so, is it possible to get it unlocked? Firmware upgrade? - Its Verizon branded with a Verizon/Vodafon SIM...he wants to use it on Rogers.
    Thanks

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Your friend should have bought a Pre-Unlocked Storm.
    Buying an locked one knowing that you are going to be using it on a different carrier than the one it comes from is really risky.
    That said, i have never heard of "too many attempts locking the phone forever". Try hard reseting the phone (battery pull) and retry the manipulation.
    Also are you sure you are doing it right?

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    from what I understand you only get 10 attempts with the code before it wont unlock the sim. You might try calling RIM

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Oh wow i didnt know that. Thanks for clearing that up.
    So what happens after those 10 attempts ? phone is locked forever ?

PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    dunno! and Im glad I never found out. But VZW support told me that when walking me thru the unlock for the storm and I have seen that in several directions for unlocks over the years with every single blackberry I have owned! I am imagining it wont take that code anymore but just a guess. GEEZ...I REALLY must be insane buying all of these BB over the years. Only one I haven't tried yet is the new 8900 Curve but since I just got my storm thats not gonna happen!! Especially since Im on VZW and not Tmo anymore. If wasnt on Storm I would be back on my BOLD or 8210 Pearl Flip. That's a really cool phone and a lot of power inside a small device.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    We might be confusing our terminology here regarding "unlocking".

BG, I think you are referring to when you have a password to lock your device's keyboard. If you enter the wrong password 10 times (or whatever you have it set to, with 10 being the max), this causes a device "Security Wipe", basically resetting the device to factory defaults.

The other "unlock" refers to being able to unlock the device so as to be able to use it on another carrier's network.

Regards,
    Roger

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    We might be confusing our terminology here regarding "unlocking".

BG, I think you are referring to when you have a password to lock your device's keyboard. If you enter the wrong password 10 times (or whatever you have it set to, with 10 being the max), this causes a device "Security Wipe", basically resetting the device to factory defaults.

The other "unlock" refers to being able to unlock the device so as to be able to use it on another carrier's network.

Regards,
    Roger
    Good point Roger i hadnt thought of that. +1 on Roger's team now.
    But then again bglawrence did mention :
    But VZW support told me that when walking me thru the unlock for the storm
    And i dont see why VZW would bring that up during the unlocking of the storm if theyre talking about the unlocking of the device when locked with a password as opposed to the unlocking of the GSM bands.

Hmm ... lol confusion confusion

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    i agree, good points, but confusing...

There could very well be a set limit on the number of attempts for unlocking the device as well. I don't know for sure, though.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    No. He IS talking about unlocking the phone (I'm confused about which CDMA BB's use SIM cards) so that he can use the BB with another carrier's SIM card.

There is only a 10 attempt try to unlock a GSM device (I've unlocked every BB I've had except the 7105t, which I sent them both back before I was able to; and a 950 because it was the ONLY 'Berry I have had that didn't come with a SIM which is unheard of on a GSM network). Not sure about CDMA.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 12-23-2008 at 09:26 PM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    No. He IS talking about unlocking the phone (I'm confused about which CDMA BB's use SIM cards) so that he can use the BB with another carrier's SIM card.

There is only a 10 attempt try to unlock a GSM device (I've unlocked every BB I've had except the 7105t, which I sent them both back before I was able to; and a 950 because it was the ONLY 'Berry I have had that didn't come with a SIM which is unheard of on a GSM network). Not sure about CDMA.
    Thanks for the confirmation Erica !

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, Erica. Good to know for future reference.

PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    I was actually talking about the SIM unlock using the MEP2 etc, not password. You do have limited attempts to unlock the SIM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    You're welcome. That's one thing I like about GSM. I can swap a SIM card back and forth anytime I want LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast