Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've got the app installed but for some reason I cannot connect even with 3G ... BlackBerry Storm forum

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0

Advertisement

I've got the app installed but for some reason I cannot connect even with 3G (1EVX) coverage... it just says not sufficient coverage??

Anyone else experiencing?

As far as Slacker (Free) vs Pandora.... I've found Pandora's collection to be far more extensive and specific.

Slacker may group music based on similar styles or genres... but PANDORA...WOW

They go to lengths (and have cataloged attributes) I've never even thought about when listening to music!
    «BlackBerry: Storm 9530»

Trongod no está en línea Stack level 3
    The thing about pandora is that you grade what music you like and you dont, and pandora later on after having enough info just plays the kind of a music that you like. That's one of the reasons why I like pandora more than slacker.
    STORM 9530 OS 4.7.0.122v3.5h

rhs1979 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3068886F
    I get the impression that nearly everyone in this thread is completely clueless to the benefits and customizability offered by Slacker, and how it differs substantially from Pandora.

For one thing, and this is extremely important - Slacker is not entirely reliant on a network connection to work.

Meaning, you can cache a station (this could add up to many many hours of music, depending on how much you cache) onto your memory card, and play it back at anytime, anywhere, no matter what kind of signal, no matter what kind of network, or no network at all. Meaning that it isn't simply an energy-sucking "internet radio" app.

I could go on - the ability to build custom stations through an excellent wizard (as opposed to having the pandora automaton guess for you), the artist and album information and lyrics, the beautiful UI, the great sound quality... Don't get me wrong, Pandora is cool. But to compare the two fairly you should become acquainted with the full functionality of both. I find it a little hard to believe that an informed consumer could believe that Pandora is somehow a vastly superior Blackberry application.

The thing is you can say all that stuff but there's preference. I mean you like Slacker, I like Pandora someone else can like Rhapsody... The whole fight which one is better will go on and on and on, but it will end up with people that don't care about radio and they just pick anything, and people that like one of the radios that are offered. Saying by you that we are clueless is just trying to make us think that Slacker is better but the thing is we choose Pandora over Slacker radio and the argument will go on. IMO you shouldn't be telling people that they are clueless, everyone has different preference and little things that you have listed won't change some people minds.

I can give you a good example. My girlfriend likes Rhapsody. She pays $12 a month to use it, but why when she can pay $4 per month for either Pandora or Slacker were two of those radios can do the same thing that Rhapsody can. The reason is that it was her first radio, and she got use to it sooo much that she doesn't care about $12 a month for the radio that does the same thing that Slacker or Pandora can do for $4 a month. The only difference between them all is the price.
    Last edited by Trongod; 04-16-2009 at 11:53 AM.

rhs1979 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3068886F
    Preference is one thing. There's no accounting for it, and I agree with you on that point.

The validity of an opinion is another matter. Several people in this thread insist that Pandora and Slacker provide the same service, and that Pandora's service is inherently superior. This is simply not true. The services, and thus the functionality of the software, differs substantially. Pandora is not a better version of Slacker and vice versa. They are both good at what they do, and what they do is not as similar as people make it out to be. That's all I'm saying.

I agree with you on that part. Slackers was my first online radio that I have ever used, then I moved to Rhapsody (which I don't like because of it price $12 is too much imo) and then I switched to Pandora. I just like the idea of a radio that makes my song picks base on my preference, plus I'm to lazy to make my own channel LOL

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rhs1979 View Post
    I get the impression that nearly everyone in this thread is completely clueless to the benefits and customizability offered by Slacker, and how it differs substantially from Pandora.

For one thing, and this is extremely important - Slacker is not entirely reliant on a network connection to work.

Meaning, you can cache a station (this could add up to many many hours of music, depending on how much you cache) onto your memory card, and play it back at anytime, anywhere, no matter what kind of signal, no matter what kind of network, or no network at all. Meaning that it isn't simply an energy-sucking "internet radio" app.

I could go on - the ability to build custom stations through an excellent wizard (as opposed to having the pandora automaton guess for you), the artist and album information and lyrics, the beautiful UI, the great sound quality... Don't get me wrong, Pandora is cool. But to compare the two fairly you should become acquainted with the full functionality of both. I find it a little hard to believe that an informed consumer could believe that Pandora is somehow a vastly superior Blackberry application.
    I have been a Slacker Premium user for almost a year now. Believe me I know the quality Slacker offers and some of the great functionality it brings!

The only point I was arguing on Pandora's behalf was that the way it catalogs and brings you fresh yet similar music on a very consistent basis out does Slackers ability to do the same.

Having used Slacker for a long time now, I've noticed that they play A TON of the same stuff over and over, I'm a fan of listening to songs I love again and again, but to a certain point. When I created my "Trance \ Techno" list in Slacker and customized it via my PC through that wizard, I was thoroughly impressed. However, while listening to it I come to find they are missing some of my favorite artists and songs. Other times, after I've added some great new stuff I've heard via Slacker, it will start playing things by artists who are perhaps similar to the new artist, but really get away from the original direction of the station.

Just my 2 cents... knowing me I'll probably continue to pay for Slacker (because again, I enjoy it) while using Pandora at the same time.. Nothing beats the consistently fresh and on target music that Pandora provides, and Nothing beats the ability to customize, CACHE, and even skip tracks as much as Slacker provides....

Beyond all of that - It really comes down to preference (As always).
    Last edited by BradBlick; 04-16-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    «BlackBerry: Storm 9530»

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM
    i love pandora!! finally!! if not on my Mac, on my Storm sound quality is a bit better on Slacker, but i seem to save more battery with Pandora

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12