Hey stackers. I guess this is a multi-part question. I am fairly ignorant of network ... BlackBerry Storm forum

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3

network question

Advertisement

Hey stackers. I guess this is a multi-part question. I am fairly ignorant of network use and what-have-you, so since I am through alltel, how would I be able to use the storm? Is it just as simple as buying an unlocked storm, or will there be a way to unlock a vzw storm? Thanks for your help.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    You should just need an unlocked storm, or buy one and have it unlocked.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    I have never actually figured out if it's true or not, but I don't think Verizon sells retail phones to non-customers. Meaning if you don't have a current plan expired or not they may not sell you the phone.

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseman225 View Post
    Hey stackers. I guess this is a multi-part question. I am fairly ignorant of network use and what-have-you, so since I am through alltel, how would I be able to use the storm? Is it just as simple as buying an unlocked storm, or will there be a way to unlock a vzw storm? Thanks for your help.
    No there is no way to use a Verizon BlackBerry on Alltel. However, after the merger you won't have a problem. But you cannot "unlock" the Storm to work on ALLTEL.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    Wow, didn't know that. I know I've been told by tmo reps I can unlock whatever phone I plan to use and bring it to tmo, heard the same about AT&T and sprint, thought everyone was the same. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah I thought about the merger after I posted this. Supposedly its gonna happen beginning of next year, so I guess I don't have too much longer to wait til I can get my hands on one. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hotice_ no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by volscian View Post
    Wow, didn't know that. I know I've been told by tmo reps I can unlock whatever phone I plan to use and bring it to tmo, heard the same about AT&T and sprint, thought everyone was the same. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    He was right. Any GSM-based phone (ie phone that uses a SIM card) can be unlocked and used on either AT&T or TMOBILE.

This is one of the core functionalities of GSM technology.

Other carriers such as Verizon & Sprint uses CDMA technology (NO Sim card) where you cannot EASILY unlock a phone and port it to another network. I say easily because in theory it is doable BUT you need the Carrier to add your phone to their network on their side before you can use it. Whether this is done at all on the field, I have no clue...been a GSM user all my life.

Sum it up, AT&T, TMobile, Rogers/Fido (Canada) phones are all interchangeable if you unlock them.

Verizon, Sprint, Bell/Telus (Canada) are NOT interchangeable

Hotice, I know it won't matter after the merger, but which is alltel? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    From my understanding, the Storm is CDMA and GSM. Therefore, it should be possible to unlock a Verizon Storm and use it for AT&T. Or am I missing something here...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ you would have to call alltel and see if they would allow the ESN from a verizon phone on their network. Might have to go into verizon and ask for a phone to check the ESN and call while your in the store. If it works you can just buy the phone outright.

As far as unlocking the device, Verizon will unlock it, but only if your a customer and had the line open for atleast 6 months.