My friend at work is looking into getting a storm. He has never owned a ... BlackBerry Storm forum

Angus_413 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Need Stackers help with Storm questions!!!

Advertisement

My friend at work is looking into getting a storm. He has never owned a smartphone and has some questions, and I thought maybe the great members on Pinstack could help me help him out.
    1.He is worried about haing to get the data plan, he was told you HAVE to have a data plan with the storm? Is this true?
    2.He said another guy here at work told him that the storm devices have been flawed and that new models will be avalible sometime in April? I haven't heard anything about that at all...just wondering.
    3.And he wants to know what's the best service plan to get with it?

I told him the data plan isn't a big deal, he is worried that if he has to pay the 29.99 for the plan that he won't use it enough. I told him I didn't feel the same way when I got my curve but I use the crap outta it now that I have it.

I know most of this stuff is personal preferance, but I told him about the Stacks and tought maybe you guys with storms could help shed some light for him. Being as I don't have a storm I didn't want to tell him anything without geting the facts.

Hope that made any sense lol
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    1. Don't know if verizon is going to force your friend, but they probably will... And you can barely use any of the apps if you don't have data though...

2.Don't think much will change at all in the physical hardware, but there are new OS's out and they have made the storm an amazing machine...

3. Get a blackberry unlimited data plan... He'll realize soon enough that even unlimited isn't good enough...

Hope that'll get ya started... And really, no fun without the data...

Let us know if your buddy needs any more questions answered to convince him to get a storm...

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    1. Never heard of Verizon allowing a BB without a data plan.
    2. The Storm is a great device. Even with everything I've read about it not being great if you do a lot of email with, I disagree. I can type faster on it than I could on my curve. No joke. The beta OS have come a long way, and an official release can't be that far out. It hasn't been long enough that I can't imagine there is a new model coming out. New OS yes...new model, no.
    3. If he can't afford a data plan, there's no point. Personal opinion. Please nobody hit me.

pigigi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Is he with Verizon now?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Yes he has verizon and is due for an upgrade, he saw I had a blackberry and was asking me questions. I however have the 8330 curve and don't know much about the storm.

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981
    If he does do it he can keep his plan and just add data. Sometimes the newer plans do not have the same amount of minutes as yer older one. That is what my wife did.

Yes Verizon can not sellu any BBERIES without a data plan on the account.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    thanks everyone, im just trying to get as much info on the storm for him as i can. Anybody else that has any insight into this please share!!

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    There is no point in having a smartphone without the data. If you don't want data get a dumbphone.

Another thing I would like to add is if he does end up getting a storm, be patient with it. I have had a few bbs before the storm and the storm still frustrates me at times (I have only had it a few days). First going from a dumbphone to a bb is enough headaches for a first timer but going right into the storm is another whole monster.

Great phone and I am really enjoying it, but there are some things I would change and want to be different. A lot of improvement in .109 than .75. My GF has .75 and I have .109 and I do not like using her device but I do enjoy using mine.
    Last edited by xsists; 03-06-2009 at 12:11 PM.

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    everyone else has answered the data plan question - hands are forced with this,
    but its not as bad as it may seem. I think they do you a favor forcing you to have the BB unlimited data plan - you use it more than you may think. He may think he wont use the internet or applications or email much, but thats exactly what he will do. The storm just makes life alot easier - when in a pinch, you dont need to find a laptop or worry about having a laptop around to look something up or keep correspondance with work etc. Also, I know that I personally use my phone instead of my computer bc the apps are actually more helpful. Here are a few examples:
    When I want to find someting to eat near me - looking it up online, not the easiest of tasks and sometimes locations make my zip code misleading and even annoying - but with Poynt or wHere, it looks up types or foods/rests. based on your GPS location, which is very helpful.
    Sometimes I just want a quick overview of sports/updates and going to espn.com requires a few clicks to find out what I want, whereas launching the espn mobile shortcut - it is very user friendly and has a large list of updates/news on the first screen, as well as current scores of sports happening at that time.
    Google maps now work with the VZ storm and is fantastic - It literally finds me in the room I am in within my house. When youre driving it shows you which direction you are going etc. All the fancy google tools!
    Weatherbug - I know computers (vista etc) have weather widgets, but again, based on location if you want on the phone and even within a zip code, you can pick different stations to base the weather off of. Furthermore, the alerts are pretty handy for those not glued to a television or radio!
    I love my storm, I would recommend it, and have done so. As to the April update - like everyone else said, no hardware update, just OS, which can be done as you know with your blackberry via the phone or using desktop - between now and then, he can use the stacks to get updates and some leak information!
    With that in mind, they are releasing the 9630 - niagara supposedly late summer/early fall. This is rumored though and with VZW and RIM, id take it with a grain of salt!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Just an update, my friend did get a storm and he told me he "freaking loves it" he still has a lot of questions but I think I can help him from here on out. I'm gonna go over to his place show him the ropes of berry life lol thanks for all your help guys!

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Glad we could convert another one gus...