Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

I won't do another review since I think we have plenty out here. I will ... BlackBerry Storm forum

  1. #1
    PacketRat's Avatar
    PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    PIN/ID
    26267461
    Posts
    374

    My thoughts on the Storm

    Advertisement



    I won't do another review since I think we have plenty out here. I will say from a corporate view, I don't think this is the road warriors device. This is more of a consumer type handheld. I have been using blackberry's since the 857 model days and have found the keyboard to be a necessity more then just a feature. I have had my storm since Friday thanks to some great people in the Lexington Verizon store, and have sent and received over 600 messages this weekend and my freaking thumbs hurt. I don't condone txting while driving or at the dinner table, but have to say. If your a hardcore email, txt, messenger person this device is not for you. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by PacketRat; 11-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    -------
    PacketRat
    8330,8900,9630
    258CDFE8




  2. #2
    jrockett's Avatar
    jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    962
    Good to know PR. I had some VPs ask me about this very thing and I couldn't give them an answer. Most of my users are hardcore mobile emailers so I might have them stick with the Bold.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

    Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

    Follow me on Twitter!


  3. #3
    MWPatterson's Avatar
    MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Posts
    1,031
    Good info. I will probably wait till 89xx series as I like the size and keyboard.

  4. #4
    tstrike's Avatar
    tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    153
    I dont find the Storm that much of a problem. It is a great exercise for the hands.... I want to see how the Storm works on the road.

    Today I am gonna test tethering to see how the speeds are.

  5. #5
    flyaway's Avatar
    flyaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    66
    i can see how the storm may not be the right phone for hard core users (600 texts and emails since Friday is hard core to me!). I like the idea of this phone, love the screen etc, but seriously - the bugs and lockups??!! How and why was it released like this?!

  6. #6
    zantopad's Avatar
    zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    157
    I hope for everyone's sake they release an OS update soon! I don't know how they sell these things to people who just walk in the store without knowing what it is, because the demo unit I played with had .65 and man was it slow.. It locked up about every 5-10 seconds for at least half a minute. With patience I was able to actually try out typing/navigating etc, and I will say that typing is actually pretty satisfying for light sms/email usage. Unfortunately, I don't believe enough was done to the OS to make it touch screen friendly.. For example, the menus that come up in apps or the browser (that are identical to other blackberrys that you have a trackball for) are not conducive to touch screens. Also the lag between portrait/landscape modes made it pretty much unusable! I understand that most of these issues are software related, but I can't say that I was awestruck by the hardware either.... I think I have finally discovered (for myself anyways) that touchscreens are not for me, even a blackberry.... I'll wait for the 8900 or BOLD when I can afford it lol

  7. #7
    flyaway's Avatar
    flyaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by zantopad View Post
    I hope for everyone's sake they release an OS update soon! I don't know how they sell these things to people who just walk in the store without knowing what it is, because the demo unit I played with had .65 and man was it slow.. It locked up about every 5-10 seconds for at least half a minute. With patience I was able to actually try out typing/navigating etc, and I will say that typing is actually pretty satisfying for light sms/email usage. Unfortunately, I don't believe enough was done to the OS to make it touch screen friendly.. For example, the menus that come up in apps or the browser (that are identical to other blackberrys that you have a trackball for) are not conducive to touch screens. Also the lag between portrait/landscape modes made it pretty much unusable! I understand that most of these issues are software related, but I can't say that I was awestruck by the hardware either.... I think I have finally discovered (for myself anyways) that touchscreens are not for me, even a blackberry.... I'll wait for the 8900 or BOLD when I can afford it lol
    I must say, when i played with the demo, and when I got mine home, it was really slow. However, after being powered up for a while and using it for a while, it did speed up. That said, I have had several lock ups and issues with the screen not rotating from portrait to landscape. I pulled the battery some ridiculous number of times yesterday. I don't do a ton of emailing and texting, so the touch screen is fine for me - when it works...

  8. #8
    zantopad's Avatar
    zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    157
    Yeah my flip had the same slowness (slow at first, but then seems to speed up after a little use) before I upgraded to the rogers OS. Now it seems to be fast all the time! But as far as the storm goes, I think a solid OS update should fix most of the issues.

  9. #9
    djdeerock's Avatar
    djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    Posts
    115
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think that the .65 release is infinitely faster than the previous version that was on the first demos. In my opinion, this is indicative of the fact that good things are on the way. Granted, I know this is idealistic, but I understand verizons rushing the device out. It sucks for us, but money is money for them. I think the storm is pretty solid considering that this sort of device is a new venture for RIM.

  10. #10
    bbguy2's Avatar
    bbguy2 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14
    Good info, PacketRat. I am a heavy email user and was wondering how the Storm would feel on the thumbs after a while. I might just stick to my Bold or wait for the Javelin instead

  11. #11
    catstide's Avatar
    catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by bbguy2 View Post
    Good info, PacketRat. I am a heavy email user and was wondering how the Storm would feel on the thumbs after a while. I might just stick to my Bold or wait for the Javelin instead
    i'm sorry guys ...but if your storm makes your thumbs tired...i suggest you have a bad unit. the buttons are no harder to push(probably easier) than my pearl.
    lighten up...life's too short

    my favorite cydia apps and hacks

  12. #12
    laxmetal23's Avatar
    laxmetal23 no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    30B63ACF
    Posts
    118
    either that or your not typing on it the right way or your using it WAY to much. And as for the slow "flip" i find that if i go from portrait to landscape or vice versa if i tap the back of the phone lightly twice it makes the transition much faster. And until a new os release comes out this will have to do to speed up the phone for me.
    Matt Urenovich
    E-Mail:MUrenovich@vzw.blackberry.net
    Pin:3048D85A
    Verizon Wireless Blackberry Storm 9530

  13. #13
    djdeerock's Avatar
    djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i'm sorry guys ...but if your storm makes your thumbs tired...i suggest you have a bad unit. the buttons are no harder to push(probably easier) than my pearl.
    I agree with catstide. Teh arthritis, maybeez?

  14. #14
    flyaway's Avatar
    flyaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by laxmetal23 View Post
    either that or your not typing on it the right way or your using it WAY to much. And as for the slow "flip" i find that if i go from portrait to landscape or vice versa if i tap the back of the phone lightly twice it makes the transition much faster. And until a new os release comes out this will have to do to speed up the phone for me.
    I agree in the typing... Seriously people - sore thumbs?! It is slower to type on than a regular berry, but I don't see how it could make your thumbs sore. About the tapping on the back when rotating, I had noticed the same thing but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it since it only sometimes helps. Right now for example, on pinstack, I can tap and shake this bugger all I like and it WILL NOT ROTATE...

  15. #15
    marcrott's Avatar
    marcrott no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    73
    I wanted this fone sooooo bad, and I got it today finally. And I'm nowhere near satisfied. It's upsetting. It lags terribly, to the point that its annoying. And it's sad because it has such potential. I'm just gonna stick with my 8320.

    My heart hurts lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •