So, after three days with the Storm, here's my take: For what it's worth, of ... BlackBerry Storm forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

My Initial Impressions with the Storm

Advertisement

So, after three days with the Storm, here's my take: For what it's worth, of course...

1. Screen - The touchscreen is awesome and, personally, I love the "clickable" screen feature. It does, in fact, eliminate mistakes. One thing I will say, though, is that within web pages and smaller selectable texts, it's often difficult to actually highlight what you want before you select it - That gets frustrating. Basic selecting of menu items, settings, etc. is pretty intuitive and works as it should. Hiding the Keyboard by swiping your finger downwards seldom woks as it should and can be frustrating.

2. Display - Let's just say that I was blown away by the video quality and display properties. The device comes with a trailer for Babylon AD and let me tell you, if all videos play like this one (I doubt they will) you too wll be happy. I have a feeling that this trailer was probably optimized for the device to show it off, but it's as good as any TV I've seen - smaller of course.

3. Buttons - They work and are reminiscent of the Bold - Flush, shiny and solid.

4. Sound/Volume - Like any other BB I have ever owned, it's sufficient but not as "loud" as say a Moto Q 9H. The speakerphone quality was passable if you're in a quiet environment. I remember with my Moto Q, I was able to put the thing on my passenger's seat with a window down and could hear "loud and clear". Not so much with the Storm but good enough.

5. Feel/Heft/Weight - Don't let the sze fool you - It's heavy and I like it. A Lot. The battery back door is metal, not some flimsyplastic, and is coated in a rubbery material. The device feels good to hold and you definitely will not forget it's in your pocket. While this may not be actual, take 2 Curves, tape them together, and you have the Storm.

6. Accessories - One thing I LOVE about Verizon stores, is that they always have a ton of accessories available for sale, in store, for the phones they sell. When the Storm launched, they had several different cases, even screen protectors custom designed for the device - That's just awesome planning. I can't begin to tell you how annoying those pre-cut protectors are and the fact that almost every other store carries them (Tmo, Sprint...). To find a retailer that has all you need to get goin is perfect. Unfortunately, BB ships the device with a lot of suff you'll probably not need and could/should have been substituted for "better" things. Do you need all the international plug adapters? generally...no. It would have been better to get a holster, extra battery, extended battery option..you get my drift. The seasoned overseas traveller already has these adapters anyway.

7. Battery Life - So far, I have left the phone on - getting 95% on the battery after 24 hours with a few calls and web browsing - not bad but too early to tell.

8. OS - A little glitchy but overall solid. I had a "4" and voicemail icon on my phone that I couldn't get rid of regardless of message count - Only a hard reset did the trick. Some menu items appear as blank lists only to be populated next time the phone is booted on - Annoying, yes. Deal breaker, No. Web pages load quickly, videos stream nicely, and I was able to acquire a GPS fix using BB maps in under a minute - Nice.

9. Overall - It's a great device and I'm happy I got it when I did. There's a supposed update in a few weeks so maybe some of these issues and concerns will be better addressed by RIM/VZW. Even if they're not, this is a device I see myslef keeping and using a great deal. After using it, the Curve and, to some degree the Bold, seem like last year's old news - Yes! The design and UI is that cool and innovative. I was glad to see that ROM didn't create just another touch screen phone like almost every other manufacture out there. While Time Magazine may have ripped the clickable screen, personally, I LOVE it. BGR also commented that, if you look closely, you can see "dots" and "x's" on the screen - That's the build of the screen and, I suppose, is simply the sensor for touch and push. They continued to say that this will probably bother people who will always think their device screen is dirty - NONSENSE! It's only visible, number one, at certain angles. And anyone who ould possibly mistake perfectly aligned sensors for dirt or debris has problems that no RIM device could ever fix.

10. Ooops, I forgot...The price... If you've read a few of my other posts, then you know how I feel about the $399 AT&T is asking for the Bold; that's just nuts. To pay for a souped up Curve on the nation's seemingly most "unreliable" 3G network is just bananas. We all know that AT&T has had issues with the iPhone and Bold compting for BW, and $399 (yes, you get, in three months, a Visa gift card) for a new 2-year deal is absurd. And really, the screen resolution and 3G "speeds (a new look too) on the Bold are, in my opinion, not worth the premium price. Now, the Storm, at $249 ($199 after another ridiculous gift card) is a great price - Cheap in fact. Users of VZW, for $250, can upgrade (if eligible). That's just cool. That price point is spot on and, believe me, it's worth every penny...

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Cool info, thanks for sharing. Question for you... You talked about the weight, how about the size? Wider than the pearl I imagine, but is it as the curve or even wider? How tall is it? Over all, is it as big and bulky as the iphone? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Carter View Post
    Cool info, thanks for sharing. Question for you... You talked about the weight, how about the size? Wider than the pearl I imagine, but is it as the curve or even wider? How tall is it? Over all, is it as big and bulky as the iphone? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Not bulky at all.... I carried the Storm on a night on the town and to be honest, the pouch was not cumbersome.

I have a car with bucket seats and holster didnt break once. The phone is VERY comfy to hold in your hand but a pain in the *** if you want to type while lying down. You have to sit up to type.

The protector that Verizon gave me has held up quite nicely.

flyaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Carter View Post
    Size is very similar to the curve, but it is heavier. I believe it is a little shorter than the iPhone. If the iPhone is "big and bulky" to you, this phone is probably NOT for you. When did the iPhone become a "big and bulky" phone anyway?!

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    The iPhone is probably one of the best designed phone, period. like it or not, the design is exceptional. the storm is shorter, yes, but much thicker and heavier. it's overall larger than the curve

check here - http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...&products=1326

flyaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    The iPhone is probably one of the best designed phone, period. like it or not, the design is exceptional. the storm is shorter, yes, but much thicker and heavier. it's overall larger than the curve

check here - http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...&products=1326
    I agree that the iPhone is a great phone. It's not for everyone, just like BB's aren't for everyone - nor is ANY phone for EVERYONE!

I currently have a Storm and a Curve side by side and I would say that the size is very comparable

bbslice no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2437ACFE
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is reassuring thanks for a good review!

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think the iphone is big to carry around in your pocket. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~