Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by SPIRITJCC98 Newbie here, so I am not real Storm savvy just yet. ... BlackBerry Storm forum

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRITJCC98 View Post
    Newbie here, so I am not real Storm savvy just yet. My question is if you do a backup of the phone with DM does that bu include the OS? If so where would it be located? I have done several bu's in hopes of modifying the bb.axl file to unlock more themes but I am not finding that particular file. Just not sure I understand why I would have to download an OS from outside when I have one that works fine already on the phone that just needs a little tweaking. Thanks for your support. BTW, DM= V.4.7.0.25; 9530= V.4.7.0.75 rel. 107.
    After reading through the posts, I think you're looking for blackberry.alx with the purpose of unlocking the "hidden" vendor themes? In order to do that, yes your OS needs to be installed on your computer. Also, in order to find and edit blackberry.alx you need to be using Desktop Manager 4.3 or older. (I might be wrong, but the directory structure is different on newer DMs and I can't seem to find the OS files . . .). After the older version of DM is installed, and your OS is installed, blackberry.alx can be found in the path "C:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\ and then the final directory is your OS name. Blackberry.alx is simply a text file that is a list of instructions to Desktop Manager's Application Loader telling it what to load and not load as it is installing the OS on your device. For example, blackberry alx will have an instruction that says "If the device is a color screen 8700 with java enabled and a QWERTY keyboard and is a T-Mobile device, then load such-and-such."
    Following is an actual snip from a OS 4.5 blackberry.alx:

"<fileset Colour="True" series="8700" Java="1.0" _vendorID="109">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_109_zen_320x240_w.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>"

It says, basically, if the device is a color screen ("Colour=true") 8700 with java 1.0 and the vendor id is 109, then load the file "net_rim_theme_etc. etc."
    Your task, if you want to load other vendor's themes, is to find all the snippets like this one that describes your Storm and alter them so that the theme .cod files load onto your device. Example: If you're a T-Mobile user, which is Vendor ID 100, simply change the 109 in the above example to 100 and then when you re-load the OS this particular theme will be included on your device, whereas it wouldn't have before.

After going through all that, though, I have to advise against doing it. Why? It's a lot of work to unlock other carrier themes that are, basically, boring. You'll get angry at yourself for doing all the work and getting three or four extra boring themes. The blackberry.alx file is very, very large anyway and the first half-hour will be simply to find the appropriate instructions. Boring. Then you have to carefully type in the correct coding, making sure every keystroke is perfect. Boring. Then if you do make a mistake, you have to re-load the OS onto the computer and start over. More boredom. It just ain't worth it. If you want to spend a boring afternoon doing something tedious that gives you only boring results, be my guest: but I say just use the installed themes or other themes written for your device. Much more exciting!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Actually, to find the alx file, you can use 4.3 and NEWER DM versions. However, I would recommend NOT using DM 4.7. I had a weeklong battle with DM 4.7 trying to upgrade the OS on an 8120 3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Actually, to find the alx file, you can use 4.3 and NEWER DM versions. However, I would recommend NOT using DM 4.7. I had a weeklong battle with DM 4.7 trying to upgrade the OS on an 8120 3 months ago.
    What's the path to blackberry.alx on DMs newer than 4.3? I can't find it even with my computer's "search" - - that's why I've never gone beyond DM 4.3

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Ok, but should know that's there are no hidden vendor themes on the storms os from what I know
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

SPIRITJCC98 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks

Mark and all, thanks for all of your prompt inputs and suggestions. I will look around and find some other themes to load. I may modify the bb.axl file just to get more comfortable with working in the BB world as I came from the Apache smart phone platform. Plus I plan on updating the OS in hopes of speeding things up a bit and reducing the memory leak and improving the battery performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12