So I upgraded to the .85 OS about a week ago. For the first week ... BlackBerry Storm forum

amujahid no está en línea Stack level 2

Major problems with .85

Advertisement

So I upgraded to the .85 OS about a week ago. For the first week everything seemed fine. I didn't see much improvement at all from .83 or .76. But then over the last 4 days or so I have been experiencing several new problems that I never had before. I suppose the answer is to just downgrade to .83 or .76, but I thought I'd share some of the problems with you guys and see if anyone else could relate.

*unlocking - right now, it takes me at least 5 or 6 attempts to unlock my phone with the unlock key on top of the phone. Previously, it only required a single push, but now it's at least 5 or 6 times before it actually unlocks.

*deleting multiple emails at once - previously, I used to be able to select multiple emails and just click on the delete key (red 'x') and all of the selected emails would be deleted. NOW, when I select multiple emails and hit the delete key (red 'x'), just one of the emails is deleted and the others remain highlighted. I have to then delete one at a time. I have found that the only time I am able to delete multiple emails successfully is if I highlight multiple emails, and then press the 'menu' key, and then select 'delete' from the menu. This operation works. But the 'red x' does not.

*lag - EVERYTHING is slower. accessing media files, playing media files, internet browser, accessing email, etc.

*screen freeze - the screen has frozen on me twice since I have loaded .85. The only way to bring it back is a battery pull. I can't even power off with the 'power' button.

*application center - it's GONE! I can't find the icon anywhere on my screen. I didn't notice this until recently, but I assume it's been gone ever since I loaded .85 because previous to .85 I would access this icon at least once every couple of days to check for updates. Anyone else notice this with .85?

*keyboard freeze - sometimes when I am typing a msg. the keyboard will lock up when I rotate the phone to switch between the landscape and suretype keyboard.

*Media card Msg. - yesterday I kept getting the 'Media card has been inserted' msg everytime I turned my phone off and then on again. Finally it went away, but boy was that annoying!

Well....feel free to provide your input...I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced any of these issues as well. Thanks!!

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    well i would suggest downgrading if a previous version was working a lot better for you...

as far as the issues you are experiencing.. those tend to vary for every person with different OS's. it's a case by case thing i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) because previously my locking/unlocking was doing what you are experencing and now my unlocking is smooth. i do still have a lock lag initially where i have to press and hold the lock button or press it then click the screen for it to take effect... IT DOES lock, but it doesn't show on the screen because i still see the icons.

i haven't noticed anything regarding the deletion of emails so i can't respond to that... my lag has consideralbly gone down with .85 as opposed to previous versions. my screen has always froze with my previous storm and previous OS versions EXCEPT for .85

i believe you can reinstall the application center somehow via DM , service books , or re-registering... i am not sure. someone else may explain that better.. i do experience some keyboard freezing as well but not as much as i did previously so i am happier now than before. i ALWAYS use to get the media card message but that was when re-booting on previous OS versions.. also with that message coming up i would get the verizon wireless logo that would not go away unless i re-booted again without the media card inserted. I have yet to experience that using .85 thank goodness...

hope you have better lookg and like i said.. definitely go with a previous OS if those worked a lot better for you... although you could try to re-install .85 and see if that might do the trick.. again i can't be certain, someone more experienced will have to help.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by amujahid View Post
    *screen freeze - the screen has frozen on me twice since I have loaded .85. The only way to bring it back is a battery pull. I can't even power off with the 'power' button.
    That has happened to me twice also.
    -Josh

14str8 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I experienced many of these issues just after upgrading. A battery pop seems to have cured most if not all of these issues for me.

It looks like the devices are behaving differently for many even though the OS versions are the same.

Good luck.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Because they are still beta OSs yes every phone will react differently

So, I just downgraded to .75 and then upgraded back to .85. things seem to working well so far. no lockups, no problems with the lock/unlock key, etc. I'll see how it goes over the next few days. I still am not able to get my APPLICATIONS CENTER icon back though. Any suggestions??

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    um i would just connect to the PC and start up desktop manager... then go to application loader ... add / remove applications... look for application center and install it.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

ok, so I reported yesterday that after reinstalling .85, everything seemed great. In fact, all day everything was wonderful. the phone was speedy, no lag, no freezes, etc. Then today, my phone has rebooted twice, I got the media inserted msg. twice, and it froze once! Back to .83 I suppose.....

liqrsicc no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    ASK 4 IT

Thumbs up

Yall devices must be messed up .85 is working well 4 me. No probs, its more quicker and responsive no lag about it at all! Dont knoe what 2 tell u guys....

hatch.duffy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by liqrsicc View Post
    Yall devices must be messed up .85 is working well 4 me. No probs, its more quicker and responsive no lag about it at all! Dont knoe what 2 tell u guys....
    I'm with you, I have had no problems and everything seems to be quicker, transitions between apps much smoother.

If anyone is upgrading and does not do this, I recommend wiping the blackberry completely before installing the new OS. It could just be my imagination but its seems to work better that way. Then battery pull after the new OS is installed once you have verified the version of the OS you wanted was loaded.

Bigv69er no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hello.
    I been havin the same problems wit the medis Card..and the unlockin..

I have anotha problem need help on..I set up password protect.. N I got annoyed because I lock n unlock my cell a lot..but afta I disbled the feature it still asks me for password... Help plz

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0
    I've been using 85 myself and my problems have dropped too. Just keep in mind these are all beta releases.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hazzmatte no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am still looking for a reason to upgrade to .85. I run on a BES and upgrading is real pain in the A. So far on .75 I seem to have no major issues except with video.

Anyway, thanks for all the grear feed back!

sugarhoodie no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm confused....are we not able to receive videos in an MMS? Everytime I get one it just comes up blank. Anyone else?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    I had all these issues with .85. In addition to that, .75 on the storm was starting to cause reboots and stuff, sent back first storm, got storm number 2. Number 2 on .75 is having the same issues...freezes, lagging on lock unlock, reboots...time to call tonight and get storm #3...if that doesn't work I'm asking for the curve again. Damn. I was so patient with this phone, now I'm getting pissed. I knwo what it CAN do and what it SHOULD do, but it just WONT.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?