Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have given the Droid almost two weeks! I do have to say for the ... BlackBerry Storm forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Looks like the Storm2 is the winner!

Advertisement

I have given the Droid almost two weeks! I do have to say for the most part I really like it and all the things it can do. There are tons of apps and cool things to try but it's just not doing it for me. The touch keyboard isn't any where near as usable as the Storm 2.

I can't decide if its to bunched up or if I really actually just miss the click of the screen. I hate the email handling on this device and wasn't able to find a solution. The gTalk, Yahoo and Live messenger clients are pretty lame and the threaded text leaves a lot to be desired. I think I just miss BBM.

I have been very fair in my trial and just can't find enough good reason to keep this as my primary device. Just like BB it doesn't support Flash Player. Unlike with the BB and 5.0 you can't fully customize notifications and personal ring-tones are only for calls not text and calls. Like I said I do like it and really think its a good start but it's just not me.

Now the questions are? Do I sell it, Keep it, Take it back and spend 35 bucks to restock and try a Windows Mobile Device? What would you guys do?? I am not totally decided because I told myself 2 full weeks and that will be Sunday but unless something drastic changes the Storm has gained its strength back and should be blowing back in this weekend.

I guess maybe I am just a true BB addict and can't help myself.

JGibb no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    pin
    I was thinking about trying the droid but your reply has my now rethinking it. I have the storm 2 and have no complaints and I hear there are improvements coming like open gl and flash. I guess I just was wanted try something different but now I think I'm definitely gonna stay with my storm 2. Thanks for your review.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have cheated on Blackberry a couple of times.....once with the Palm Pre, and again with the iPhone......only to come back with my tail between my legs begging for forgiveness.

To me BB is king, and all others are just not as USEABLE......that is the key point. BB may not be flashy, flowy, or widgety.....but it is a mchine that does what you need it to do.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If you have a chance to try it, I would say go for it. It's just not for me. You might find you like it but for me it just wasn't enough of a game changer. Sure lots of cool apps and neat things to tinker with but for what I use my smartphones for and what I like it just didn't offer it all for me. I am sure it will get better the longer it is out but I will wait until that time comes. Actually after the time I spent with it I would say other than the apps it's not a lot different or anymore exciting than the HTC6800 I had 3 years ago with WinMO.

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    well im glad you are not getting rid of the Storm2, everyone always comes back to their BB... I would say if you do not need that second line I would cancel and take the phone back. You have 30 days to cancel and return with no charge, no ETF or anything. But if you are going to keep the line and want a different device then I don't really know what phone to recommend for you. But I would say cancel the line and get your money back
    -Josh

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    We have a use for the line. May just take it back and get a bare-bones regular phone, because we plan on giving it to my wifes Grandma. That was the plan in the beginning. Just keep the Smartphone on it for the first month then drop it down to a basic call package.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    We have a use for the line. May just take it back and get a bare-bones regular phone, because we plan on giving it to my wifes Grandma. That was the plan in the beginning. Just keep the Smartphone on it for the first month then drop it down to a basic call package.
    Yep that sounds like a winner for me right there... It's all about saving money...
    -Josh

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I still love my Droid! Except for some network issues which may be related to me using it on an Alltel plan. The merger is done but the tower conversion isn't. At home, not too many towers around so phone works perfect, get into town and my signal jumps from 1x Rtt to EvDo rev.0 to EvDo rev.A and my data apps won't work. They say alltel plans use alltel towers and vzw plans use vzw towers so at homw where not to many towers it easily pics up the alltel one. They claim my issues in town are do to their being so many towers that my vzw optimized device has a hard time locking on to a tower on the alltel network. Believable because I have compared side by side to a vzw 8330 which had full 5 bars 1XEV and an Alltel 8330 which had 5 bars 1XEV. I could watch as I was riding around town and the alltel 8330 would sometimes as it was switching towers go to 1x for just a couple seconds then go back to 5 bars 1XEV but the Droid struggled to get a lock. Their claim that it's not optimized for alltel's network looks believable by my experiments. I do have a friend with a Droid on VZW who is going to go to that area and see if they have the bouncing signal issue and they will swing by my house to see if they have good signal here...if they work fine everywhere I may have to suck it up, spend the extra $30 per month and switch to a vzw plan....blech!

The only issues I have with email is the inability to change font size, it's a bit small but I'm getting used to it and it doesn't handle pop3 accounts very well, if I don't open a message it often tells me a few minutes later that I have a new one but it's the same message. It will often repeat this even if I mark them read unless I open or delete them....I only have one pop account set up on it and don't get that many messages on it so it's no big deal.

It has a puny LED notifier but I have found programs that let me choose the color for some notifications and set up some repeat notifications....it's no berrybuzz but I'm finding myself a bit more relaxed now and not obsessively seeing phantom flashes anymore so that's kind of nice

But I'm loving the apps, getting faster on the keyboards, love the browser and youtube vids in HD. The camera ha some issues that should be resolved with the software update coming in a couple weeks but it can take some amazing pictures. I was using the macro feature yesterday and was amazed at the high quality pics coming from my phone! The widgets are fun, being able to configure multiple screens and place icons and widgets just how you want them is nice.

I really hope they can figure out and fix my network issues so I can keep it! It is not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad for me and because it and Android 2.0 are so new, even Android in general being new, I find it easier to accept flaws. Other things I really love is it handles multitasking very well and does not have memory issues and if an app acts weird no spinning hourlglass forever like on a BB, if it freezes for a couple seconds you get a pop-up to force close the app and most apps easily recover and work fine when re-opened.

If it's not for you Randy, I would try something else new, but not winmo ugh!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I still love my Droid! Except for some network issues which may be related to me using it on an Alltel plan. The merger is done but the tower conversion isn't. At home, not too many towers around so phone works perfect, get into town and my signal jumps from 1x Rtt to EvDo rev.0 to EvDo rev.A and my data apps won't work. They say alltel plans use alltel towers and vzw plans use vzw towers so at homw where not to many towers it easily pics up the alltel one. They claim my issues in town are do to their being so many towers that my vzw optimized device has a hard time locking on to a tower on the alltel network. Believable because I have compared side by side to a vzw 8330 which had full 5 bars 1XEV and an Alltel 8330 which had 5 bars 1XEV. I could watch as I was riding around town and the alltel 8330 would sometimes as it was switching towers go to 1x for just a couple seconds then go back to 5 bars 1XEV but the Droid struggled to get a lock. Their claim that it's not optimized for alltel's network looks believable by my experiments. I do have a friend with a Droid on VZW who is going to go to that area and see if they have the bouncing signal issue and they will swing by my house to see if they have good signal here...if they work fine everywhere I may have to suck it up, spend the extra $30 per month and switch to a vzw plan....blech!

The only issues I have with email is the inability to change font size, it's a bit small but I'm getting used to it and it doesn't handle pop3 accounts very well, if I don't open a message it often tells me a few minutes later that I have a new one but it's the same message. It will often repeat this even if I mark them read unless I open or delete them....I only have one pop account set up on it and don't get that many messages on it so it's no big deal.

It has a puny LED notifier but I have found programs that let me choose the color for some notifications and set up some repeat notifications....it's no berrybuzz but I'm finding myself a bit more relaxed now and not obsessively seeing phantom flashes anymore so that's kind of nice

But I'm loving the apps, getting faster on the keyboards, love the browser and youtube vids in HD. The camera ha some issues that should be resolved with the software update coming in a couple weeks but it can take some amazing pictures. I was using the macro feature yesterday and was amazed at the high quality pics coming from my phone! The widgets are fun, being able to configure multiple screens and place icons and widgets just how you want them is nice.

I really hope they can figure out and fix my network issues so I can keep it! It is not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad for me and because it and Android 2.0 are so new, even Android in general being new, I find it easier to accept flaws. Other things I really love is it handles multitasking very well and does not have memory issues and if an app acts weird no spinning hourlglass forever like on a BB, if it freezes for a couple seconds you get a pop-up to force close the app and most apps easily recover and work fine when re-opened.

If it's not for you Randy, I would try something else new, but not winmo ugh!
    Glad you are still liking your Droid sam, so there is no sign of you coming back to BB in the near future???
    -Josh

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't know, we'll see if they can get the data issues worked out. If they can't these may get returned, or I may just activate my old 8330 if I'm out in an area where I need the data...they said I can just call and they will switch. I really don't want to do that though!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am sure it's the Alltel plan. Even on the Verizon plan I have the same issue but mine is because the tower itself has not been fully upgraded to Vz. I would have to drive 2 hours to actually hit a full Vz tower.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Alright!! Welcome back MC. How dare you get lured into the megatron world?

Glad to have you back with the berrybots . I would advise you to return that silly shenanigan and pay the restore price .
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    So you dont miss your BBM, AZSTAR ??
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    OK, Couldn't take it any more I am now back to full BB. Anyone want a Droid?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    After your review there will be fewer takers... Wellcome back to BB. But, no one really leaves, do they ?
    I had a Droíd (HTC) for a try out but did not last long for the same reasons you bring up. I have a 9700 now, but. come XMas a S2 Will be in my sock !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast