I've had my Storm since release day, and while I'm getting used to it (especially ... BlackBerry Storm forum

bigdany24 no está en línea Stack level 1

List of Storm Issues

Advertisement

I've had my Storm since release day, and while I'm getting used to it (especially the typing part). However, I've got some key issues that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

1) Accelerometer - Lags tremendously. Often times when it's locked in a pocket/holster and I'm walking around the city, it takes up to 10-20 seconds! to reorient itself after being unlocked for use. This is perhaps the most frustrating of all. Also, when in use the accelerometer is fickle as well.

2) Battery Life - Is terrible. I've removed VZNav and VVM, along with other applications I never use. Don't have the GPS on. With light to moderate use (browsing, messaging, phone), it needs an extra charge just to last through the day. Worse than my 2.5 year old 8703e battery. This is poor.

3) LAG - Overall, the device really lags when navigating between messages, or even programs. Hopefully an OS update will fix, but i'm so used to instantaneous reaction on my other BBs

4)Sound Quality- Overall, it's pretty decent. However, when dialing, the dial tone sounds awfully fuzzy/tinny. Almost sounds like the signal strength is about to cut out, but when someone picks up the sound is great (especially on speaker). Odd.

5) Mute button - Seems like the phone mutes rather easily while on a call. Button is too sensitive

6) Camera- photos are good, but takes far too long to boot up. This is my first berry with a camera, is this normal?

7) Miss the small things from my old berry...mainly keystroke shortcuts to access applications (m for messages, r for refresh while in browser, etc). Understand that's a limitation of the touch screen, but oh well

Overall, still on the fence about this device. Would love to have the Bold, but AT&T is such a complete joke in NYC it's not an option. Hope the OS updates will solve this....

Anyone have any similar problems/solutions?

toddone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Its funny you bring up those issues, because I have all the same problems with my storm. I'm sure the updated OS will make it right...until then happy clicking...lol~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Wow, there are some issues there. I heard that they are working on a fix for those type of glitches. Hope it comes out soon. Good luck guys! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DHol437158 no está en línea Stack level 1

Storm Issues

I have 4.7.0.109 beta and it resolved all the listed issues. Also added option to switch between keyboard views while in portrait view. Its beta so they may still be making changes for a main stream release.

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I would say MOST of these issues are fixed in .109. The accelerometer is a lot faster/more responsive. The camera boots up faster than my Curve did. I don't have any lag with the menus. I don't make many calls but the quality is great and I do not notice myself hitting any of the buttons. I think you can maybe bring up the keyboard to do shortcuts? Maybe not, I never really used the shortcuts to begin with.

The only thing I notice is the battery life still sucks on mine. I never used it with .75 so I guess I don't know how bad it was. I received my device Wed night and right after activating it I upgraded the OS. My GFs is on .75 and her phone lasted the whole day yesterday as mine was down to 5% before I left work (8 hours off charger). I didn't really use my phone any more than I used my Curve but I feel I will need to charge it more. Today it seems the battery is going to last longer. I turned off the GPS and my backlight is set to 10 with a turn off of 10 seconds. I really miss my standby mode so hopefully they bring that back in the official release as well as some other battery/useability fixes.

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by xsists View Post
    The only thing I notice is the battery life still sucks on mine. I never used it with .75 so I guess I don't know how bad it was. I received my device Wed night and right after activating it I upgraded the OS. My GFs is on .75 and her phone lasted the whole day yesterday as mine was down to 5% before I left work (8 hours off charger). I didn't really use my phone any more than I used my Curve but I feel I will need to charge it more. Today it seems the battery is going to last longer. I turned off the GPS and my backlight is set to 10 with a turn off of 10 seconds. I really miss my standby mode so hopefully they bring that back in the official release as well as some other battery/useability fixes.
    how much usage would you say your device gets during a day? I would recommend draining the battery until completely dead, Charging it for a solid 20 hours (even though it says it is full) and going from there. My phone with .109 is capable of getting up to about 50-55 hours with moderate usage. HTH

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I'm talking I have 2 email accounts coming to it with maybe 5 emails a day and a couple hundred texts/BB messages. I don't really use the internet all that much whether I am at work or outside of work. I do however notice that inside my work I do switch between extended and verizon service a lot which is most likely the culprit. My Curve did this as well but the battery life was still good. As of yesterday my phone would have made maybe a 10 minute call after work before it was dead. This weekend I will however test to see how the battery survives outside of this network switching area. I was hoping the Storm would have pulled a bit better service than the Curve and hold the verizon service more rather than switching. It is not 12:30 and the phone has been off the charger for 5 hours today and the battery is only at 75%. I have not texted as much today but I also have turned off my GPS and have my screen backlight set to 10. Like I state before, I really want the standby feature back.

msshorty no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    I get double spaced messages and menu alignment issues with menus after I play games. so I've given up playing games. Tired of having to do batt pulls after every game. Definite lag in the keyboard. Tryna hold out for an official release. :'( hopefully soon.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM
    I listed some of my concerns:

1. Device Error (seems to happen when Im on BB Messenger)

2. Accelerometer lag, switching from portrait to landscape. Sometimes its not even responding!

3. Screen Click issue, although tweaking the torx screw actually works,

4. Overall lag, sometimes unlocking and locking does not respond at all.

5. Camera is slow when snapping photos

6. BATTERY takes a loooong time to charge! Although my battery lasts me the whole day, off the charger at 8am, its up til 3am.

Well that's all I can think off. LOL. Despite that, I am still lucky I got this bad boy. Its been a very reliable device compared to my Old curve, my messages are all intact, doesnt go on automatic freeing up of memory by deleting my crap! LOL.

I love it!
    Last edited by xtasyboi_00; 03-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Hammer75 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i've noticed that even with the .109 s/w:

- the Battery life is still very low (full charge up to 10 hours) and down to 1/2 bar by the end of the day (that's with moderate call volumes and internet browsing). However, i am configured to a BES and have ALL work emails come through as well as two BIS accounts (at most, receive maybe one or two emails a day on the BIS accounts)

- camera still slow (takes forever to take a pic...not sure if this is a feature of the newer smartphones as the Javelin did the same...maybe to help "focus" {that's a REALLY long pose to keep though...lol})

- accelerometer is still very slow (i don't think i'm being biased because of the iPhone's quickness, but it IS considerably slow)

- ringtones in regards to email/sms/bbm alerts take a while to "mute" if the phone has been sitting "dormant" for a while...i've hit the "end", "esc", "lock" keys as well as the touchpad itself and the ringtone is still going. And then there's the time it takes for the screen to actually light up as well.

Overall, the phone CAN be great, but am i WISHING for too many fixes for the next s/w version?...=(

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Did u try .113?? They an a biz card behind the batt worked well for me.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~