Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I walked into the store to give the Storm a go... just playing around with ... BlackBerry Storm forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Just back from the VZW store

Advertisement

I walked into the store to give the Storm a go... just playing around with it for a few minutes...

Within those few short minutes, I quickly formed an opinion of the device: Great build quality and ergonomics, poor software. I realize this is an opinion that many others have shared, but there is one bug I found while using the Storm that I havent seen reported elsewhere.

I click the MMS and SMS icon and then clicked the compose message icon. I was then prompted to select what type of message to compose (even though I had just click compose from within MMS and SMS). I selected EMail message and then turned the device to landscape for the full length keyboard.

In the To: field, I attempted entering an email-to-txt address (##########@txt.att.net). Here is where the bug comes in: the default keyboard at that time was the number pad with a few other back buttons, and ABC button for alphabet entry (in landscape mode)... I proceeded to enter a number in the To: field, but letters corresponding to the number keys on a normal bb showed on the screen. It was odd... so I pressed the ABC button, got a full qwerty keyboard, and tried entering letters. The only letters that produced anything were those that also had number assignments, and they gave numbers, not letters.

So, the letters and numbers were switched, and the remaining letters not assigned to a number key (or vice versa) were not typable...you could click them, with a screen graphic showing that you'd clicked, but nothing would happen at the cursor.

I called the VZW rep over, reset the device, and did the same thing again in the exact same order, and the same issue resulted. I neglected to check the device OS, but how widespread is this issue?
    Last edited by jzarowitz; 12-02-2008 at 05:37 PM.

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    I walked into the store to give the Storm a go... just playing around with it for a few minutes...

Within those few short minutes, I quickly formed an opinion of the device: Great build quality and ergonomics, poor software. I realize this is an opinion that many others have shared, but there is one bug I found while using the Storm that I havent seen reported elsewhere.

I click the MMS and SMS icon and then clicked the compose message icon. I was then prompted to select what type of message to compose (even though I had just click compose from within MMS and SMS). I selected EMail message and then turned the device to landscape for the full length keyboard.

In the To: field, I attempted entering an email-to-txt address (##########@txt.att.net). Here is where the bug comes in: the default keyboard at that time was the number pad with a few other back buttons, and ABC button for alphabet entry (in landscape mode)... I proceeded to enter a number in the To: field, but letters corresponding to the number keys on a normal bb showed on the screen. It was odd... so I pressed the ABC button, got a full qwerty keyboard, and tried entering letters. The only letters that produced anything were those that also had number assignments, and they gave numbers, not letters.

So, the letters and numbers were switched, and the remaining letters not assigned to a number key (or vice versa) were not typable...you could click them, with a screen graphic showing that you'd clicked, but nothing would happen at the cursor.

I called the VZW rep over, reset the device, and did the same thing again in the exact same order, and the same issue resulted. I neglected to check the device OS, but how widespread is this issue?

Way to go RIM!
    just tried this with my device, no problems like you are talking about - I am running .75 though, maybe they fixed it, so way to go RIM :-P

jdow2405 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30FE9E83
    Now I dunno if i am not paying enough attention or can adapt well but I have no problems with mine at all what so ever. It has it's moments but I am patient and don't think about it too much cause it is serving it's purpose. I hear all these issuse ppl are having that I don't seem to be having or am I having them and it just isnt bothering me. Am i making sense? I feel left out lol, i have nothing in common with anyone cause I am not complaing about my phone and over analizing everything it does or doens't do. Grrrrr. SOmeone back me up on this? Are ppl expecting too much from this phone and could that be the problem? Or am I just the one with problem by not over examining every little silly thing and complaining about it everytime something new comes up and just figuring out myself how to work with it. Mine has never done half this things ppl are complaining about. Hmmmmm. Is it all in my head I wonder? Anyhow good post, you got me really thinking!
    MrS.OfFiCeR

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    dont mean to sound like a whiny little bia, even though i am; please forgive my tone of writing. my energy to continue pounding new devices stems from two issues... firstly, you can find a new cell phone for free these days, so anything that has a cost should exceed expectations, not just meet them. and second, previous generation blackberries have completed tasks better than some newer generation devices.

with these two things to consider, rim has their work cut out for them. costly new devices launched with known issues is a consumer headache and turn off (and it wasnt just with the storm... the bold also still suffers immensely running native ATT OS). and for my previous curve to outperform both the storm and bold in technological business execution says quite a bit, albeit unfortunate, about the future of rim devices.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    this storm is great!
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

my previous curve to outperform both the storm and bold in technological business execution says quite a bit, albeit unfortunate, about the future of rim devices.
    not really sure that is very accurate... I havent had any of the problems you are speaking of and Im pretty sure you havent been exposed to the new OS either, The ones that are in the VZ stores are bottom line, and im sure lots of people have done alot of stupid things to help them get worse and worse (just like a computer)... I think that everything the curve can do the storm can do, but it has the wow factor as well as a few more unique features - quite worth it

PIN/ID
    30FE9E83
    I see the issues totally. I just hear all this complaining and no one seems to be returning just keep complaining and to top it off buy another RIm device lol. My first BB was the curve and i upgraded from palm treo 700wx, that too had all this negative feed back but i loved it. I loved that phone cause it was easy to use and the touch screen not really cause the brand at the time. The curve was just what i was missing except for the touch screen and the bb service is so much better with all the options and most of them free, i never knew a thing about bb's before i bought one, i use to get irritated when ppl had them and thught they were so cool, then i got one and understood why it was so much nicer. i just was wondering If I am loosing my mind cause I don't expect too much and I have trust RIM will do it's best to fix whatever problems. As for the cost I was very smart saved my upgrade and already had my curve sold since it was only 4months old. So after my rebate I will be ahead 50$ and I am not made of money but I would have paid alot more cause it is a great design and everything has it's flaws you know =), nothing that can't be fixed is all. When i pay for something I expect it to work or know it is fixable. I do see both sides. I mean with out RIM we would have anything to talk about right now I probably would have never met some of the great ppl on pinstack.
    MrS.OfFiCeR

SuzieCreamPuff no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dean0uga View Post
    I think that everything the curve can do the storm can do, but it has the wow factor as well as a few more unique features - quite worth it

I really hope it is worth it! I have been sitting on the fence trying to decide whether or not to get this phone for so long it is starting to drive me batty!

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    not really sure that is very accurate... I havent had any of the problems you are speaking of and Im pretty sure you havent been exposed to the new OS either, The ones that are in the VZ stores are bottom line, and im sure lots of people have done alot of stupid things to help them get worse and worse (just like a computer)... I think that everything the curve can do the storm can do, but it has the wow factor as well as a few more unique features - quite worth it
    you said it perfectly! the wow factor is the problem though. if RIM stopped messing around with wow, and put their R and D into making existing features better, new devices would probably excel at launch (not sales, but performance). they knowingly launched a device with issues... thats like buying a car where they didnt get the steering wheel on in time for it to ship. your argument with my analogy says that if the car looks cool enough, and has some nice features, its ok to skimp on the basic meat and potatoes. i therefore almost wholeheartedly disagree with your post. i havent seen the new OS on the storm... hopefully that will help it overcome its initial faults.

no im pretty sure i said it has everything now that the curve does, and does it just as well! I understand where youre coming from, but until you actually own the device and have the upgraded OS - not like a car without the steering wheel, because the phone "drove" well, just not as well as it should have, and after a little over a week, alot of the problems are fixed. Not trying to bash your post or anything, just a little over the edge, especially being that youre speaking based on an experience in the VZ store and other people's complaints... sorry

PIN/ID
    30FE9E83
    BTW how do you like you 9000 JZ? Did RIM make that one perfect and bugless? =)

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by jdow2405 View Post
    BTW how do you like you 9000 JZ? Did RIM make that one perfect and bugless? =)
    dont even get me started... most of my aggression toward these devices stems from the fact that i just gave up on Bold after 4 tries...

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    no im pretty sure i said it has everything now that the curve does, and does it just as well! I understand where youre coming from, but until you actually own the device and have the upgraded OS - not like a car without the steering wheel, because the phone "drove" well, just not as well as it should have, and after a little over a week, alot of the problems are fixed. Not trying to bash your post or anything, just a little over the edge, especially being that youre speaking based on an experience in the VZ store and other people's complaints... sorry

no problemo! im not a forum hot head looking for a fight! we are all fellow pinstackers...i see your points too. just integrating what some respected technology writers (nytimes, etc.) and my brief experience with it at the store yielded. im locked to att for a while, but about 15 min at the store and reading a few well written reviews was enough for me not to get one.

PIN/ID
    30FE9E83
    LOL you should try the storm w/ the newer os.
    MrS.OfFiCeR

no problemo! im not a forum hot head looking for a fight! we are all fellow pinstackers...i see your points too. just integrating what some respected technology writers (nytimes, etc.) and my brief experience with it at the store yielded. im locked to att for a while, but about 15 min at the store and reading a few well written reviews was enough for me not to get one.
    there is a very well written article putt http infront
    advice.cio.com/al_sacco/blackberry_storm_blasted_by_david_pogue_why_nyt_st orm_review_is_a_dud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast