Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have had both and the ONLY reason I went back to the bold is ... BlackBerry Storm forum

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

I have had both and the ONLY reason I went back to the bold is for the following:

The fact you must completely release the screen after pushing in to type another letter. I can type ridiculously fast on my Bold and you never realize how close you are to pushing in the other key before you release it. I LOVED the storm for the first month until I realized I was physically limited by my typing speed. Another part of the bold which I like (not a deal breaker for the storm, just added emphasis for the bold) was that I could navigate through all the apps and menus incredibly fast. This is just from years of previous blackberries. The cut screen times alone for the storm negated how fast I was. I am by nature very impatient and when it comes to quick texting, emailing, or adding of tasks and calendar events; the Bold was superior. If I was a new blackberry person and couldn't type as fast or make use of the shortcuts to the fullest extent, I would have the storm right now. Wifi on the Bold in my opinion blows so that shouldn't even be a consideration.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade View Post
    I have had both and the ONLY reason I went back to the bold is for the following:

The fact you must completely release the screen after pushing in to type another letter. I can type ridiculously fast on my Bold and you never realize how close you are to pushing in the other key before you release it. I LOVED the storm for the first month until I realized I was physically limited by my typing speed. Another part of the bold which I like (not a deal breaker for the storm, just added emphasis for the bold) was that I could navigate through all the apps and menus incredibly fast. This is just from years of previous blackberries. The cut screen times alone for the storm negated how fast I was. I am by nature very impatient and when it comes to quick texting, emailing, or adding of tasks and calendar events; the Bold was superior. If I was a new blackberry person and couldn't type as fast or make use of the shortcuts to the fullest extent, I would have the storm right now. Wifi on the Bold in my opinion blows so that shouldn't even be a consideration.
    Good point, this is what I first noticed when I got the storm coming from an 8830. It wasn't really an issue for me once I got used to the screen though.
    8830 Verizon

One time Storm user. Returned it.

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba View Post
    Good point, this is what I first noticed when I got the storm coming from an 8830. It wasn't really an issue for me once I got used to the screen though.
    You can get used to it, but the physical time can't be changed hence the problem with me. I will say I am much faster than normal, so my experience is definitely not what most people have. If they split the screen into two buttons (left and right) I would have this phone right now and never look back.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    ok well first off let me thank all of you who have posted so far. and please keep them coming. as of yet i still cannot decide on what to do. in all honesty i would rather keep my bold but i cant do that and switch to verizon. but anyway i still am for the most part liking what im reading so far...so please keep the comments coming. i havent read anyone posting on if the input of the txt is fast and if the screen is slow when rotating it.

Thanks for the help,

Pat
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

williamsj83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305845BF
    The clickable screen does take some getting use to... I had the Curve 8330 then tried the Samsung Omnia before landing with the Storm. And each day my typing and texting using the screen is getting faster and faster with greater accuracy... as with anything new there is a learning curve that you must establish and overcome. I verizon would add a feature that shows the letter your pressing or hovering off that would reduce the mistakes crossing my fingers for that to appear in the next software upgrade.

My first storm the clicking was as crisp but the replacement device was much crisper in its clicks which leads me to believe they probably made some physical modifications to make this better. I had to have my device replaced because it had trouble recognizing service books.

I wish the predictive text words was more intuitive and not come up with crazy words that would never fit what you were trying to type....

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Another one for the Storm!

I've enjoyed this phone since I got it and like others have posted before, there is an adjustment period but if you are willing to try a new device, then why not?

I went from the LG Dare where all it needed was a light tap to recognize a letter. Then, I got the Storm and had to make adjustments on how to properly type the letters, but it wasn't difficult to learn at all. Now, I can type as quickly as I did when I had the Pearl (and this is using it in landscape mode, which I have found I prefer). As always, I suggest handling one for yourself to get a better idea as to how the phone will work for you.

It's a great phone and it's fun once you get the hang of it.

Join us!

PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    Looks like I'm going to go for it if I can sell my bold first and see how things go. I really am not enjoying att's service right now. Anyone wanna buy a bold?? I still have all the original books,cd,cables,charger, ill include my 2g mini sd card with it too. Just incase anyone is interested.

Pat~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

All right!!!!!

HotCelica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Meh
    Call att and have them unlock that bold before yoy leave that way any gsm user can buy it
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Good call TMo, it will higher your resale value too.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    I have a good advice, pay your bill. unless you are in the 30 day trial, youre under contract. By not paying the bill, you will most likely be in default soon, and you will still get hit with early termination fees. Also, verizon plans, you might want to check out the prices for the service. Especially if you are about to make this big sacrifice to jump to a new provider for a new phone.
    I would advise you to change your plans with the bold and its their obligation to show your usage to you, to see if your munites needs to be modified. But i, and maybe its just me, would not risk jeopardizing(sp?) my credit because of just minutes i feel im not using. Overall, even if you say you will pay the fees and fines for jumping ship, then you will still be paying more than what youre gonna pay with verizon. Considering the fees you will owe to att plus your monthly bill with verizon.
    I jumped ship with cingular for sprint a lil over 6 years ago and i had to pay like a total of 140 dollars for 7 months of early termination. They didnt have good service where i lived and since sprint did, that was the pill i had to swallow for better service. Or let them hit up my credit. Thats just me though...

odysseyinspace no está en línea Stack level 1
    I think the Bold is the best BlackBerry around and probably the best smart phone on the market right now.

I've had the Storm since its initial release and I can tell you it is still flawed. One or two more OS updates may fix this. Its still a solid device and its global. I don't see any harm in getting it.

However the Bold is my personal favorite. If you are pressed to go to Verizon I would also suggest the LG Dare, which is awesome for a touch screen phone.

In regards to the Dare, if you like smartphones, don't go with the Dare. You will not be able to do much of anything with it if you are used to the abilities of the smartphone. I had a lot of limitations with that thing, hell, I couldn't use it outside because the sunlight completely washed out the screen! You cannot download apps except for whatever Verizon gives you access to....I was very miserable with that phone. Granted, it's not a bad touchscreen, but that's about it.
    Last edited by goldengirl75; 01-20-2009 at 04:39 PM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have to say goldengirl makes a good point, the LG Dare is a great phone but not a smartphone.
    It is a touchscreen PHONE, a lot of people tend to assume that touchscreen = smartphones nowadays.
    Thanks for clearing that up goldengirl.

PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle View Post
    I have a good advice, pay your bill. unless you are in the 30 day trial, youre under contract. By not paying the bill, you will most likely be in default soon, and you will still get hit with early termination fees. Also, verizon plans, you might want to check out the prices for the service. Especially if you are about to make this big sacrifice to jump to a new provider for a new phone.
    I would advise you to change your plans with the bold and its their obligation to show your usage to you, to see if your munites needs to be modified. But i, and maybe its just me, would not risk jeopardizing(sp?) my credit because of just minutes i feel im not using. Overall, even if you say you will pay the fees and fines for jumping ship, then you will still be paying more than what youre gonna pay with verizon. Considering the fees you will owe to att plus your monthly bill with verizon.
    I jumped ship with cingular for sprint a lil over 6 years ago and i had to pay like a total of 140 dollars for 7 months of early termination. They didnt have good service where i lived and since sprint did, that was the pill i had to swallow for better service. Or let them hit up my credit. Thats just me though...
    well let me say this first off with me being on unemployment and barely paying my bills and car note anyways my credit is already screwed so i dont care about that. majority of the people i know have verizon especially where i live because of their service. att even tho they say their service is leet it sucks. im supposedly in between 3 towers and i am supposed to have perfect service but in fact i dont. my service sucks. also my gf has verizon and she is who i talk to majority of the time anyway. and to top it off the price of the phone and activation will still be less than the 288 they want for one month and the 250 they want for the next!!! so to heck with att and im going to verizon!!

i just got the bold unlocked by att so if anyone wants one let me know!!
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast