Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ok here is my dilemma. i currently own a bold. att is charging me outrageously ... BlackBerry Storm forum

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8

is the storm honestly worth it??

Advertisement

ok here is my dilemma. i currently own a bold. att is charging me outrageously for minutes that i never used, which they insist i did. but they cannot show the usage to me. so im not paying the bill and i am thinking of transfering to verizon. if i do this i will more than likely want the storm. (which buying would still be less than what att is trying to charge me for one month.) anyways what im asking is....is the storm worth it?? are majority of the problems worked out of it? do the beta os's fix most of the software issues? does the phone lock-up especially when rotating the phone to portrait mode to type on the qwerty key board? does verizon actually have good service? they both (verizon and ATT) apparently according to their coverage maps have perfect service around me but i am always getting missed and dropped calls with att. So you all know i am going to be very picky with this phone because of the fact that i have never had any good experience with touch screen or slide phones. any input would be extremely helpful.

thanks in advance,

Pat
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    You just opened up a whole book of storm bashing now haha. I honestly think it is worth to get the storm. Out of the box, the storm has bugs and flaws. If you install one of these leaked OS's that RIM is losin money on then you will find the phone to be amazing and never want to part with it. BUT now that you know RIM is losin money, make sure you smile as you install the new leaked OS :-p. The coverage for verizon honestly depends where you are located. Im in a building right now and service sucks. You're going to have some people complain that they can not hear you because you are muffled. This is a known problem and Ive read this will be fixed with firmware.

So I would say yes, the storm is VERY worth it!!
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    IMHO Verizon has really really good service, I rarely get dropped calls and only in rare situations do I miss calls, but not to the point where I even really remember. I have also had verizon since they took over Cellular One(about 8 years ago). That being said, the storm is not yet perfect, but a new OS should leak soon. .75 is a relatively stable OS and the betas are getting better and to the point where it is almost flawless, its worth it, especially if you are going to switch to VZ - one thing about them - the service is great, but they dont have the best selection of phones and I love my storm

williamsj83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305845BF
    I read what people say about the Storm being a problem phone but honestly i havent experienced a lot of what i read and the minor things i have i understnad that they will be fixed in time... Its a solid Device i would reocmmend playing with the device for some time to see if you like the click screen as for me i love it .. Also remember Verizon lets you test drive them for 30 days so you can use that to help you make the decision. in terms of call quality and reception i think Verizon is far superior to all the other networks i travel alot across the east and central states and ive never dropped a call even on those backroads where you wouldnt expect to have coverage. the Storm is responsive could be better but its going to get there soon. I love watching movies on it because theres no lag and my battery life is excellent something that GSM devices usually have trouble with because of the power requirements of GSM. Plus Verizon lets you insure any phone on their lineup unlike ATT do they allow you to insure the Bold?

Its a good phone and Verizon is unmatched in quality, take the 30 day test drive and see if its a device that works for you.....

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    As far as coverage I would say over the next few months it should improve a great deal. Not to mention the 80 million IN people you will be able to talk to free of charge. If you don't care for the touch screen then they also have the 8330 and 8830 but coming from the Bold that probably wouldn't work for you. I am curious to see the response here because I plan to as soon as I am able to jump to the Storm.

HotCelica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Meh
    I would say yes, I haven't experienced any problem thay people complain about and I am on.86. I love my phone and the signal ajd voice quality is great. I would recommend getting att to unlock your bold before you leave that way you can sell it for a ton and make your money back easy. Cdma gets. Better signal than gsm. Its well worth the transition and. The bold doesn't even have a true html browser.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

phinger23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ill be honest, i was a storm hater wen it first came out....after playing with new releases of it it changed me and now i own one and like it. i dont LOVE it yet....but im not in any rush to toss it across te room and or return it. bugs will be fixed and it seems to be going fairly quickly too.

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    my only concern is all the cracks around the keys and dirt getting in

airin11 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was new to Blackberry when I got a Curve in November, then I switched to Storm. I love it. My biggest complaint using it the first day was the corners on the right side of the touch screen don't click, so if theres a link there, you can't click. Solution is to rotate in horizon view the other way. I thought that would be annoying, but am used to it now. Typing texts and emails is no problem. Coverage is not a problem for me. Once in awhile, its slow to rotate the screen or move from menu to menu. Same level of annoying when a webpage is a little slow to load on your computer, at least for me.

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't think its worth it, but I recommend trying the 30 day test drive and deciding on your own. I did the 30 days and just didn't like the phone enough to be tied to it for 2 years. Maybe in March, i'll reconsider, but I'll keep my current phone for now and my freedom to move networks.

There are lots of bias reviews here, so read them with a grain of salt. There are people that hate blackberry and never tried a storm and there are people that blindly follow VZ and RIM and say its the best phone ever.

My opinions:

--It was VERY slow most of the time. There are cool features, but i was overly annoyed by the bad features. Camera is pathetically slow... we're talking 5-10 seconds from pressing the button to viewing the picture. Video is nice, although, half the time there would be an error saving.

--You can't hold it between your cheek and shoulder and talk because the button screen depresses and either mutes the phone or turns on the speaker or hangs up. There are apps that lock the screen, but then its hard to dial numbers if you need too.

--If a phone is designed to have visual voicemail and GPS, I shouldn't have to delete the programs to make the phone run.

--By the time I returned it I had dust around the screen and even under the screen (I rarely put the phone in my pocket and use the holster...i'd hate to see it after a week of straight pocket storage)

--The browser is not as good as the iphone. It may be faster because of VZ's network, but the rendering and interface is nowhere close.

--It's nearly impossible to go back and select where you want to edit a message.

--Screen can be hard to click at the bottom. No, I don't want to have to add a business card to it. It should work.

Again, these are what I based my decision on, you may have a different feel for the phone. I think i'm going to try the iphone. Yes, there are far fewer things I can tinker with, but its interface is awesome, the app store is a year ahead of whatever RIM releases, and its typing algorithm/auto-correct is better. I just hope I can live with ATT's network. They have a 30 day period so maybe i'll be back soon
    Last edited by jabbawabba; 01-19-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    8830 Verizon

One time Storm user. Returned it.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba View Post

--It's nearly impossible to go back and select where you want to edit a message.

--Screen can be hard to click at the bottom. No, I don't want to have to add a business card to it. It should work.
    1. wrong, if you look at the "tips" section of this forum, if you put your finger on the screen(anywhere) for about 5 seconds(dont click) and wait till the blue bar(location of where youre typing) turns to a white box with black outlining, then move your finger left or right to move that box, this moves very similar to the left and right arrow key while youre on a computer

2. this is not every storm - it seems as though there was a problem with early builds and the newer ones seem to be equal to, if not better than the original with the card trick
    Just to keep things straight and fair! The rest is all your opinion and thats cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dean0uga View Post
    1. wrong, if you look at the "tips" section of this forum, if you put your finger on the screen(anywhere) for about 5 seconds(dont click) and wait till the blue bar(location of where youre typing) turns to a white box with black outlining, then move your finger left or right to move that box, this moves very similar to the left and right arrow key while youre on a computer

2. this is not every storm - it seems as though there was a problem with early builds and the newer ones seem to be equal to, if not better than the original with the card trick
    Just to keep things straight and fair! The rest is all your opinion and thats cool!
    Points taken....
    8830 Verizon

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    I think it's worth it... Though I do agree with what Jabba has said.. I've left commentary below, I'm bold italic...

I read review after review.. I just had to get it for myself and decide.. Ultimately, that is what I would advise you do, fellow Stacker. Just take the plunge and see for yourself.

--It was VERY slow most of the time. There are cool features, but i was overly annoyed by the bad features. Camera is pathetically slow... we're talking 5-10 seconds from pressing the button to viewing the picture. Video is nice, although, half the time there would be an error saving.
    I know that the camera lags pretty bad, but I've never used the video.. so I couldn't tell you about that.

--You can't hold it between your cheek and shoulder and talk because the button screen depresses and either mutes the phone or turns on the speaker or hangs up. There are apps that lock the screen, but then its hard to dial numbers if you need too.
    This is true - but I use that slide-lock app which has worked fine so far...

--If a phone is designed to have visual voicemail and GPS, I shouldn't have to delete the programs to make the phone run.
    I don't think the V.V. is with Telus, who I am currently contracted to.. But the Maps/GPS work flawlessly.. Google Maps, not so much..

--By the time I returned it I had dust around the screen and even under the screen (I rarely put the phone in my pocket and use the holster...i'd hate to see it after a week of straight pocket storage)
    I've holstered it and kept it in my pocket - so far I've no complaints...

--The browser is not as good as the iphone. It may be faster because of VZ's network, but the rendering and interface is nowhere close.
    Safari is definitely the better browser..

True, and very annoying... But you'll get the hang of it

I have no idea what you're talking about here..
    Last edited by boxaberry; 01-20-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Apparently there is a way to easily select the text if you hold your finger over the area for 5 seconds. I thought I had tried this and couldn't get it to work. It's in the tips section I was told, so it might not be an issue.
    8830 Verizon

Apparently there is a way to easily select the text if you hold your finger over the area for 5 seconds. I thought I had tried this and couldn't get it to work. It's in the tips section I was told, so it might not be an issue.
    yep, I had problems like you to begin with, i suggest(so you can see the bar change color to hold your finger off to the left and give it enough room to be able to see - it can be a little tricky on webpages, like the quick response, because for some reason that text scrolls around alot on its own. Its best to test this in an SMS or email! It works in both landscape and portrait! HTH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast