I switched over from tmo to vzw for the storm and I'm wondering what other ... BlackBerry Storm forum

tkolgen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304A9987

Is Tethering Work paying extra

Advertisement

I switched over from tmo to vzw for the storm and I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts are about paying an extra fee for tethering my phone to my cpu? I liked this feature about blackberry's but I don't know if I would pay extra for it.

what are some thoughts about it????

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I know on ATT they charge double your data plan for tethering. I have heard VZW is cheaper so i might be inclined, double is just overcharging!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Verizon does have a charge. If I recollect correctly it was an additional $15 a month. Sprint however does not charge for tethering on their BB's it is included in their data plan.

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    If you tether your BB on Verizon your data plan will cost $60/mo total, regardless if you're on the $45 or $30 plan.

kdkng no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3049A487
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I pay it and its well worth it. I travel a lot and it is good speed everywhere I go

russ65 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    318985d
    Quote Originally Posted by tkolgen View Post
    I switched over from tmo to vzw for the storm and I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts are about paying an extra fee for tethering my phone to my cpu? I liked this feature about blackberry's but I don't know if I would pay extra for it.

what are some thoughts about it????
    It's also part of bb data plan with US cell

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can try and do it for free but if they see you using over about 5mb of data they will either shut your data off or charge you the extra fee. Verizon gets your money any way they can!
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
    You can try and do it for free but if they see you using over about 5mb of data they will either shut your data off or charge you the extra fee. Verizon gets your money any way they can!
    5 GB not MB is Verizons upper threshold. As far as I know you can't do it without a tethering plan.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68
    I've been doing it for years on Verizon (yes, paying), and it's always worth every penny. But I would guess it would depend on how much you want to use it. For me, I use it 2-3 times a week on the bus to/from work.

skelzer no está en línea Stack level 3
    If I recall correctly...

- 15/mo if you're on BES
    - 30/mo if you're on BIS

If you don't use it frequently, there's no need to pay the full monthly fee.
    Verizon lets you call to "turn it on" and then call back to "turn it off".
    Then they simply prorate the 24-hr usage periods and apply the charges to your next bill.

As example, I only turn it on when I take the Acela to NY for the day.
    I call VZW in the AM and again in the PM... all in, it costs me about $2-3 total for a single day of usage.

Be careful though... don't try to get the 15/mo plan if you're not actually on the more expensive BES plan. Some junior CS reps will incorrectly add you to the 15/mo plan without telling you that it automatically triggers a switch to BES pricing. Put simply, if you're on BIS, ask for the 30/mo tethering and the CS rep should punch in the right code.
    Last edited by skelzer; 12-13-2008 at 01:57 AM.