Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by StefanSmith And here is a quote from the boy genius review: " ... BlackBerry Storm forum

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by StefanSmith View Post
    And here is a quote from the boy genius review:

"
    SurePress / Typing
    This is going to be a hate or love it experience again, and we really aren’t feeling it since we’re power users. We would have loved a straight capacitive screen here. The button presses get tiring after you type a lot and we find that we just want to type less in general than we do on our Bolds and Curves. (I’m not going to out the one lone writer here at BGR who still has a Curve.) Here’s the issue… if you’re in SureType mode it’s not that bad, but when you switch to landscape mode, your finger covers up the letters and blue halo does little to reassure you what letter you’ve selected. The other issue is the actual hardware. I took apart the unit and found that there is one button in the middle of the screen which explains why it is so damn hard to press the screen on the edges. If you need to type an “a” key or “z” key or even select a menu option that’s on the edge of the screen, you will have to press very, very hard. This makes it really a chore to use sometimes.
    The auto-correction on here is a total joke and barely works for anything we’re trying to type, and you just can’t type fast. Your typing speed is hardware-limited."
    It sounds like one way to significantly fix the speed issue is for the Storm 'screen button' to not be one button int he center... in other words an actual hardware redesign...

Maybe a button in the center of each quadrant of the screen? That makes a bit more sense... and would help out the problem of that one button having to return to the original position before being able to be pressed again. You'd have 4.
    Last edited by snipes mcgee; 11-22-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

StefanSmith no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206839C0
    To SuplerKing15:

I don't think I am being too fussy. Seriously. I am making a separate post but I really think if you are hard bb user, the Storm is going to be a disappointment unless you are prepared to compromise.

I'm sure the iPhone has been purchased by a lot of non-professional people who at most send text msgs and skip the email. To be honest, I can see the Storm appealing to the same groups of people. And so the device is more than adequate for that kind of use.

I really think the issue is for real crackberry addicts. You know what it's like - if you have used BB's for a few years, your navigation of the menu's and typing becomes so incredibly quick. And so for this type of user - I think the Storm fails. But then to be fair, I am not sure the Storm was aimed at them! That's why RIM have the Bold

In a nutshell - I think the Storm holds a lot of excitement for existing BB users, but in truth, I think the Storm may be pitched at attracting new users who may email but are not such heavy duty users like those who would perhaps be considering a Bold. In other words, it has a lot of attention and excitement from hardnosed BB users who really require way more than what the device can offer in terms of usability.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    It sounds like one way to significantly fix the speed issue is for the Storm 'screen button' to not be one button int he center... in other words an actual hardware redesign...

Maybe a button in the center of each quadrant of the screen? That makes a bit more sense... and would help out the problem of that one button having to return to the original position before being able to be pressed again. You'd have 4.
    how do you know there's one button? to me it feels like there are several buttons under the screen.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

blackharleymike no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2568EF6D
    Hi Stefan,
    you´re totally right. The landscape keyboard is a nightmare. It was a nightmare with the old os (4.7.0.65) as well as it still is a nightmare with the new os 4.7.0.78.
    I agree with you, that the portrait-keyboard (SureType) is working much better.

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Mp ptpnlr.s jrtr.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thymaster no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't know about you guys but I was really annoyed at the landscape and suretype keys during my first 2 days of usage because I keep missing letters which I though at first it's just me not getting used to the new screen click.

Then I read somewhere suggesting to put a credit card or a 2 to 4 layer of business cards between the battery and underneath the back cover. I tried this method and it really works for me. Typing is just as fast as my old curve and with fewer errors and no missing letters. with this trick you will also notice the screen doesn't rattle anymore when you shake the device.

I think this is due to 2 hardware reasons. First the battery is too small. Second the plastic screen is centered everytime a press is released, therefore if you type back to back clicking left to right on the screen really quick, some keys will missed the click registration.
    Last edited by thymaster; 12-14-2008 at 05:19 AM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Why is this thread sticky-ed anyways ?

As for the landscape keyboard i must admit im faster on suretype but ive gotten pretty fast at the landscape one and my storm has NO clicking problems whatsoever.
    But yeah the business card trick apparently does the trick (haha) for some people

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123