Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, Ive searched the site about batteries being poor with the storm and apparently this ... BlackBerry Storm forum

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask

How to improve battery..

Advertisement

Well, Ive searched the site about batteries being poor with the storm and apparently this was an issue with a lot of them earlier on. Well, I have had this issue with .86 and now .90. The battery just sucks. I can go 3 days with out charging my curve. With my storm, example, today...Unplugged it at 2:10pm. Used it for few IMs on AIM, few BBMs, and used BB maps with the GPS. Its now 832pm and the phone is dead. I think that is pathetic. Is it possible I have a defective battery? What are some settings I can change to help improve the battery? I was reading in a previous thread that I can auto things such as turn stuff off at a certain time? turn it back on at a certain time. blah blah. Any help would be appreciated and if the final answer turns out to be call VZW CS for a new battery. so be it!!
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

PIN/ID
    Ask
    That was going to be my step after calling VZW CS but is there anything I can do in my phone? turn things off, change some things I can do first to see if that helps?
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

The GPS could possibly be a factor in the battery life. I have the following on my 8120 and get between 14-18 hours daily:

Auto On/Off: Off at 4 AM On at 5 AM
    Backlight Brightness: 10
    Backlight Timeout: 10 seconds
    Network Indicator LED/BlueTooth/WiFi: All Off
    Heavy data usage: BBM/E-mail/IM/Web
    Text Usage: Light
    Phone Calls: 1-5 daily 2-5 minutes each call (I barely use the 300 plan minutes I have)
    MP3 Player: Light-Moderate (If I don't take one of my iPods with me)
    GPS: No use right now because I don't have a unit to connect it with and I don't drive.

Another thing that can DRAIN your battery is coverage. Is the area you're using your phone in well covered? This is why I'm dumping T-Mobile next year. I don't get the same coverage at my house or school I got just 6 months ago.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Please review Hayden's post on the subject:
    http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/10_tips_help_extend_blackberry_battery_life-50079/

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Thanks berry!!! i just changed those features. See if that will work. I also read to let the battery die completely, fully charge it until the lighting bolt is gone, then pull the battery and restart it up. That will help. So we shall see! Thanks for the post!
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    Thanx everyone for the informative stuff about battery life, and how to maintain it, and make it last longer, but I'm just gonna cheat....I'm gonna buy a stronger battery, the bold has more powerful batteries, some that are higher in size meaning...1600V or an 1700V, this way I won't have to worry about battery life...but thanks for the tips and tricks... via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    The GPS could possibly be a factor in the battery life. I have the following on my 8120 and get between 14-18 hours daily:

Auto On/Off: Off at 4 AM On at 5 AM
    Backlight Brightness: 10
    Backlight Timeout: 10 seconds
    Network Indicator LED/BlueTooth/WiFi: All Off
    Heavy data usage: BBM/E-mail/IM/Web
    Text Usage: Light
    Phone Calls: 1-5 daily 2-5 minutes each call (I barely use the 300 plan minutes I have)
    MP3 Player: Light-Moderate (If I don't take one of my iPods with me)
    GPS: No use right now because I don't have a unit to connect it with and I don't drive.

Another thing that can DRAIN your battery is coverage. Is the area you're using your phone in well covered? This is why I'm dumping T-Mobile next year. I don't get the same coverage at my house or school I got just 6 months ago.
    Erica you said ou turn it off for an hour. Is this while it is plugged in? Does it matter if you turn the phone off while its charging? Does that really make a difference?
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    My battery also died on me after 5 hours of non use, just bad signal.. Im also using .90 hope this isn't something that is going to happen daily..
    -Josh

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0
    my battery life improved GREATLY since installing .86 - i havent installed .90 yet but I do heavy data, BBM\Browser everything.... Tons of texting, probably an hour of phone calls a day... I keep my screen at a dim setting with auto dim enabled, so unless theres alot of light shining against the screen it isnt brighter than it needs to be.

hmm my LED indicators are all on all the time, my Signal isnt relaly that great here and constantly changing between x \ 1X \ 1xev \ 1XEV -

Its confusing how many different experiences people are having with these phones..

I'd be more than happy to upgrade to .90 and post any differences if anyone could send me a link to it or something

Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    Erica you said ou turn it off for an hour. Is this while it is plugged in? Does it matter if you turn the phone off while its charging? Does that really make a difference?
    I normally charge at night while asleep. I use the Auto On/Off feature to clear the memory, browser cache, cookies, etc overnight. I found that it does give a little better battery life. I get 14-16 hours use during the day if I charge with the phone off and plugged in to my laptop at night.

Keep in mind that this is referring to the OEM battery that came with the phone. My Seidio extended battery, for some reason, will no longer charge when I put it in my 8120 but charges fine in my 8100.

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by BradBlick View Post
    I'd be more than happy to upgrade to .90 and post any differences if anyone could send me a link to it or something
    Here you go this was posted a few days ago...

-Josh

phinger23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    battery life bad? for real? storm has better life than my curve, and blows away my G1

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0
    Well after some tinkering with .90..

I've noticed a couple small things that have caused my battery life to decrease a tad bit.
    One was my BBlight settings. If you have and use BBlight you may want to check to make sure that settings for "Always On When:" settings to be all turned off... not sure why they were on but it was draining the battery..

Another thing is I seem to be getting better signal than I used to.. perhaps .90 tries a bit harder in recieving signal? No Clue. But an observation.

So far i love .90 =)..

I think the most quick and effective way of increasing your battery life will probably end up being to buy that extended life battery that fits under the same backdoor (listed above).
    Last edited by BradBlick; 01-23-2009 at 07:08 PM.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    One thing I have not seen metioned is one i use more recently and has a med-high effect on my battery. I don't use WIFI and Bluetooth as much as I used to, so when I am not using them I turn them off and this helps out a bunch!

Hope this helps. . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast