Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Don't need wifi with Rev. A. Also, when LTE gets here wifi will become obsolete ... BlackBerry Storm forum

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Don't need wifi with Rev. A. Also, when LTE gets here wifi will become obsolete on any phone.

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    The only reason I want wifi is so I can have some speed on my internet connections compared to my old poky 8100. Also, with tmo you can have unlimited minutes through your wifi connection, so calls placed while you are connected through wifi do not subtract from your plan minutes. If you have another provider then that probably doesn't mean much to you but to us tmo customers it makes sense. I was able to downgrade my plan today to a less expensive one because I now don't need so many minutes.

I keep getting conflicting reports about g3 in this area. The Verizon store says we have it, but the tmo guy says no. I guess maybe it's just tmo that doesn't yet have their act together on it. But like it or not they are my provider and I'd rather not switch if I don't have to.

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by scootersdaddy View Post
    The only reason I want wifi is so I can have some speed on my internet connections compared to my old poky 8100. Also, with tmo you can have unlimited minutes through your wifi connection, so calls placed while you are connected through wifi do not subtract from your plan minutes. If you have another provider then that probably doesn't mean much to you but to us tmo customers it makes sense. I was able to downgrade my plan today to a less expensive one because I now don't need so many minutes.

I keep getting conflicting reports about g3 in this area. The Verizon store says we have it, but the tmo guy says no. I guess maybe it's just tmo that doesn't yet have their act together on it. But like it or not they are my provider and I'd rather not switch if I don't have to.
    I understand what you are saying about the phone part. For me I meant the data part of wifi. That is great that you can use it and get a break from your minutes!!!

As for the 3G. TMO is GSM 3G and that is not built up yet across the country and in many places is very sporadic. Verizon is CDMA 3G and is covered over much more of the country, therefore if you are on Verizon you will have greater 3G coverage than ATT and TMO combined... just two different technologies....

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by scootersdaddy View Post
    Why in the world would they release the Storm with no wifi? Or am I missing something? It's got every bell and whistle but no wifi? I live way out in a very rural place so no 3g for me...
    The same reason the 8820 has wifi gps and no camera, they didn't have the room

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    I appreciate all the responses folks. This phone stuff is really all so complicated at this point that you almost need a phd to grasp it all. I have a small business and don't have time to follow all the developments but every year or two I want to change phones and the whole thing becomes mind boggling at times.

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxe24 View Post
    Don't need wifi with Rev. A. Also, when LTE gets here wifi will become obsolete on any phone.
    Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I believe not. Wifi is at minimum twice as fast as EVDO Rev A. It's hilarious how people, including Verizon themselves act as if their network negates the need for or advantage of Wifi. I agree the Storm not having wifi is not a deal breaker. It's a great device without it. But Wifi would be a welcomed addition. Especially considering Wifi is much much faster than EVDO or HSPA. Not to mention most corporate users have a data cap and Wifi allows them to download large files, etc and not use their plan.
    Wifi was left out of the Storm at Verizon's request. If you want Wifi on a Verizon BlackBerry wait for the Niagara.

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    I think that what people are missing is all that the device has to offer. All complain about getting rid of the laptop and the PDA, but with all of the radios included and the gps add the chips for the wifi and the antennas and the duplexor for the antenna and you might as well just have oneof the Asus EEE devices as you are nearing to that size. I believe that the GSM version will have the wifi as it will not need the CDMA chip and can replace it with wifi, but that is just my 2 cents worth. I used to have a Verizon Samsung I730 and that had wifi so I don't believe that it was wholly V's fault or choice (come to think of it, the htc vx6700 and vs 6800 had wifi as well). I believe it was cost and size constraints driving their thoughts. Putting CDMA and gsm radios in takes lots of engineering. They chose the wifi over gps and giventhe choice most would choose gps over wifi when asked (at least that seems to be the response from most).
    This is probably one of the worst reasonings for a phone, not just the Storm, to not have WiFi.

What the business strategy is, we do not know... however not having Wi-Fi without that knowledge just seems plain stupid.

This has nothing to do with a CDMA or WiFi with a GPS chip... nothing with the size constraints. This phone is big. I highly suggest you go look at other phones in the market that are 1/3 of the size that have GPS, WiFi, etc.

WiFi is crucial to any device, and is much faster than current wireless internet data even at full reception.

Verizon cripples their phones, and this is just one example. I have to check, but if other CDMA BB's have WiFi, I'm pretty confident Verizon might of decided to just disable it for the phone. They have had similar business practices in the past.
    REVIEW: SEIDIO HOLSTER, BACK DOOR, RUBBERIZED CASE, BEST SKINS EVER!

Contains A LOT of pictures and if you have any questions, let me know!

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxe24 View Post
    No, because we are still dealing with RECEPTION. There is not one network that gets reception EVERYWHERE... and WiFi will still be an advantage, regardless of how you look at it.

I would think they would be developing FASTER WiFi chips (N technology) in phones. The networks would be improving, but as long as you're relying on reception WiFi will always be a heavily utilized asset on a phone.
    REVIEW: SEIDIO HOLSTER, BACK DOOR, RUBBERIZED CASE, BEST SKINS EVER!

Contains A LOT of pictures and if you have any questions, let me know!

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yea wifi would be cool but I've lived these past few years without wifi, so I think ill survive. Plus not to mention I have pretty good service where I'm at 4/5 bars.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    No WiFi indeed. I paid and ETF for my aircard back in march because the coverage where I moved was horrible. And to that is saying a lot, since I live in the middle of a pretty good sized city with pretty good Verizon coverage. And it would seem that now my phones seem to suffer from the same poor coverage. I personally don't mind not having great voice reception at home, but I often use the internet on my phone and not my computer (lazy I guess). It would be sweet for me to just tap into my home internet which I get great speeds all the time. No sense in not allowing WiFi on to the phones, especially BlackBerrys since you already have to pay for the data anyway.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
    This is probably one of the worst reasonings for a phone, not just the Storm, to not have WiFi.

This has nothing to do with a CDMA or WiFi with a GPS chip... nothing with the size constraints. This phone is big. I highly suggest you go look at other phones in the market that are 1/3 of the size that have GPS, WiFi, etc.

Verizon cripples their phones, and this is just one example. I have to check, but if other CDMA BB's have WiFi, I'm pretty confident Verizon might of decided to just disable it for the phone. They have had similar business practices in the past.
    Do you even have an idea what you are talking about and dealing with to develop this device??? I work for a major transmitter supplier to the cellular world and can tell you that the size constraints do make a difference. Contrary to what you believe, there is no single chip that will yield, CDMA radios, GSM radios, WIFI radios, and GPS radios and this isn't even taking in the duplexers and extra antennas that are necessary for all of these systems to work within the FCC guidelines (also forgot to include that the BT radios, antennas, and duplexorsa are on there as well, wow that's alot of RF, study some design and you start to see the issues arise). I know that Verizon does cripple their phones, but when you are developing world devices something has to give. The GSM devices gain this due to the nature of the GSM being a world accepted standard and thus having no need for the CDMA radios, so they can add the other chips instead. If you will reread, I had included three devices that Verizon carried that did have wifi (and I even forgot the I760 which also had wifi), so it is technically possible, but none of those devices were world capable. The I730's brother, the I830 (was a CDMA world device on Sprint) had no wifi because of the need for the GSM chip along with the CDMA chip called for the loss of something to fit all on the board, so bye bye to the wifi chip. If you don't believe me then go to the FCC sites and look at the board photos and you will see no extra space nor the wifi chip. While there you can also browse the board level photos or the Storm and when you see those chips, antennas, and duplexer chips on there then come back here and report such and will retract al of my statements, until then, I still hold to the fact that the size constraints are a major factor in the decision to leave wifi out (the engineering to get everything to play nice within the small package without unnecessary crosstalk would be quite a feat).

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987
    @ squeakr

Go read the BGR review of the Storm. This device can totally accomodate WiFi. It's not a space issue. It's a Verizon issue. He even went so far as to state

The removal of Wi-Fi (actually, a non-inclusion as RIM told us) in 2008 is absolutely atrocious and all three of those named above should be ashamed. Literally. It angers us that in this day and age carriers and manufacturers are still calling the shots for us, treating carriers as customers instead of customers as customers. This hasn’t been Verizon’s first crippling, and we anticipate it will not be their last. You can bet your *** on one thing though, if AT&T gets a version of the Storm, Storm 2, Storm 7, or what have you, it will certainly have Wi-Fi. It’s been confirmed to us by sources at RIM that what we said about Wi-Fi was absolutely correct: it’s not that there wasn’t room on the circuit board for the Wi-Fi chip, it’s that the carriers completely requested it to be not included.
    Here's the link
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...-storm-review/

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Yes, I was just reading that thanks for the attention to it, but BG also fails to state for a fact that it was for sure RIM or Verizon's decisions. In the comment section, when questioned if they have a bonified 3rd party source that will testify to it being Verizons choice, there is no rebuttal or comment. He has stated his dislike for V from the start and his praise of RIM, not exactly bias free there. It is also pointed out that no CDMA BB device has wifi, so was it also Telus, Sprint, Alltel, and the other major CDMA carriers wish to have it removed as well, a bit coincidental at best. I was just stating that Verizon has had wifi devices, so that should be some proof that they aren't totally Wifi restricted and that the design is very hard to incorporate into a world device (Samsung has said this time and again, due to the duplexers and different chips necessary. Also it was specifically stated by the other poster that Verizon has locked it out, which I contested by stating that it wasn't there to begin with. I would really like to see and try the device (and yes I am not currently using V and with the most hated device on this forum) but I have no predisposed loyalty to any company or carrier. I have found BB's to be very reliable and fun devices, as I have the ev"i"l phone and have had palms and WM devices and all of the carriers except Alltel and the non-US variants. It just is what is best and most desired for/by the user. I am not going to result to insults about who is more of a kid or child or business professional based on their choice of device to use. What I think should be the question is why didn't V pursue the 3G rev that would allow concurrent data and voice as that was an option to adopt instead of the current one that they did (I know there is a bean counter somewhere with all of the forecasting and documentation to answer that, but with all of the power users on here screaming about their business needs, why hasn't that question been repeatedly hashed out?? which also points to another need for wifi as the radios can be used concurrently for this)

Xader no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    Igiventhe choice most would choose gps over wifi when asked (at least that seems to be the response from most).
    I disagree.

Given the 3rd party options (i.e. Bluetooth GPS keychains) GPS is readily added to suck a phone for a relatively low price and with great simplicity. AFAIK, no such solution yet exists for wifi connectivity.

A few years back Possio had a device that would do this, but it is no longer available. Also, Spectec is loooooong delayed in releasing its wifi MicroSD, but even when it finally drops, it will eliminate memory expandability by taking up the only sd slot, and it is only slated to be supported for Windows Mobile.

Go given the current options, I believe onboard Wifi, and bluetooth GPS would be a far better option. Verizon, I'm sure would disagree, as it would probably bypass their VZNav subscription requirement.

$.02
    Last edited by Xader; 11-20-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes, I was just reading that thanks for the attention to it, but BG also fails to state for a fact that it was for sure RIM or Verizon's decisions. In the comment section, when questioned if they have a bonified 3rd party source that will testify to it being Verizons choice, there is no rebuttal or comment. He has stated his dislike for V from the start and his praise of RIM, not exactly bias free there. It is also pointed out that no CDMA BB device has wifi, so was it also Telus, Sprint, Alltel, and the other major CDMA carriers wish to have it removed as well, a bit coincidental at best. I was just stating that Verizon has had wifi devices, so that should be some proof that they aren't totally Wifi restricted and that the design is very hard to incorporate into a world device (Samsung has said this time and again, due to the duplexers and different chips necessary. Also it was specifically stated by the other poster that Verizon has locked it out, which I contested by stating that it wasn't there to begin with. I would really like to see and try the device (and yes I am not currently using V and with the most hated device on this forum) but I have no predisposed loyalty to any company or carrier. I have found BB's to be very reliable and fun devices, as I have the ev"i"l phone and have had palms and WM devices and all of the carriers except Alltel and the non-US variants. It just is what is best and most desired for/by the user. I am not going to result to insults about who is more of a kid or child or business professional based on their choice of device to use. What I think should be the question is why didn't V pursue the 3G rev that would allow concurrent data and voice as that was an option to adopt instead of the current one that they did (I know there is a bean counter somewhere with all of the forecasting and documentation to answer that, but with all of the power users on here screaming about their business needs, why hasn't that question been repeatedly hashed out?? which also points to another need for wifi as the radios can be used concurrently for this)
    I hope this doesn't come off as rude but...uh...PARAGRAPHS, USE THEM!

and, somehow, I doubt that people would choose GPS over Wifi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12