Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why in the world would they release the Storm with no wifi? Or am I ... BlackBerry Storm forum

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

How Come no Wifi?

Advertisement

Why in the world would they release the Storm with no wifi? Or am I missing something? It's got every bell and whistle but no wifi? I live way out in a very rural place so no 3g for me...

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    One more of verizons lockdowns from what I hear. I don't know of a Verizon phone with wifi. Anyone else? Sounds like a way to be sure people have to use their data network to get internet.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

laxmetal23 no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    30B63ACF
    and WiFi kills your battery anyway
    Matt Urenovich
    E-Mail:MUrenovich@vzw.blackberry.net
    Pin:3048D85A
    Verizon Wireless Blackberry Storm 9530

keizerjrr no está en línea Stack level 3
    mmmmm wonder if that will be the case with AT&T. I currently have an 8310 and was thinking of upgrading ...... but I do want WiFi. My 8310 dosen't allow for that. What about the Bold? Will the Storm on AT&T be WiFi less? Decissions Decissions?

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by scootersdaddy View Post
    Why in the world would they release the Storm with no wifi? Or am I missing something? It's got every bell and whistle but no wifi? I live way out in a very rural place so no 3g for me...
    Their rationale is that Verizon's 3g network is everywhere their voice network is (unlike ATT/Tmob). So there's no use in having WiFi for data if you don't have Verizon for voice where you live. If that's the case you won't get a Vzn phone anyway.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

korp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305422EE
    Yeah there is no need for wifi when you can access 3g in all places. It would be nice just for an extra bell but I prefer the network because then my messengers all stay on. Can't wait for Friday woot woot.
    Blackberry rocks my world....

HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have Verizon and I've never needed wi-fi.

steppi no está en línea Stack level 1
    No wifi thats just dumb Of Rim to release the storm seeing that they are trying to compete with I phone .And rim should make a dual sim black berry am tiard of changing sims when i travel.

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    OK, so supposedly the 3g network is everywhere and good internet speed will be achieved on any of Verizon's Blackberries with no need for wifi. I guess that's what all that advertising is about that I'm always seeing during football games... I admit it is still a little hard for me to believe since I live out in the sticks and in my humble experience none of this cell phone stuff ever really quite lives up to it's hype. But maybe things have finally progressed enough that we really are ready for prime time now after all.

I'll be heading down on Friday to check out the Storm. But I'll have to be really impressed if I'm going to be persuaded to make the switch from TMO to Verizon. Otherwise I'll probably stay with TMO and try out the Curve.

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm in Montana right now and I'm connected via "3G" and it's slow as ****.

Wi-Fi would be nice, but then again, I'd have to pay an extra 10 bucks here at starbucks.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987
    Lack of WiFi is the only thing preventing me from purchasing a Storm. I fully believe it's not RIM's fault(since the Bold has it) which is sad, it's all Verizon and their need to treat their consumers like toddlers("Eat this and swallow it, it's good for you" mentality). Show me a Storm with WiFi and I'll be all over it just like I'm all over my iPhone right now.

laxmetal23 no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    30B63ACF
    Quote Originally Posted by HolidayDre View Post
    I have Verizon and I've never needed wi-fi.
    same here and when i havent been able to get 3g (which has been few and far between) im in a place where if the phone had WiFi it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. WiFi is great for computers and pocket pc's but its not essential for phones.
    Matt Urenovich
    E-Mail:MUrenovich@vzw.blackberry.net
    Pin:3048D85A
    Verizon Wireless Blackberry Storm 9530

Xader no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    Quote Originally Posted by laxmetal23 View Post
    WiFi is great for ... pocket pc's but its not essential for phones.
    The entire point of a smartphone is so that you dont have to carry either of those.
    Which makes Wifi pretty dang important

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    The entire point of a smartphone is so that you dont have to carry either of those.
    Which makes Wifi pretty dang important
    I agree and it doesn't drain my battery.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    I think that what people are missing is all that the device has to offer. All complain about getting rid of the laptop and the PDA, but with all of the radios included and the gps add the chips for the wifi and the antennas and the duplexor for the antenna and you might as well just have oneof the Asus EEE devices as you are nearing to that size. I believe that the GSM version will have the wifi as it will not need the CDMA chip and can replace it with wifi, but that is just my 2 cents worth. I used to have a Verizon Samsung I730 and that had wifi so I don't believe that it was wholly V's fault or choice (come to think of it, the htc vx6700 and vs 6800 had wifi as well). I believe it was cost and size constraints driving their thoughts. Putting CDMA and gsm radios in takes lots of engineering. They chose the wifi over gps and giventhe choice most would choose gps over wifi when asked (at least that seems to be the response from most).
    Last edited by squeakr; 11-19-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast