Hey everyone was wondering if someone could explain to me this whole gsm stuff. I ... BlackBerry Storm forum

shooterzroll no está en línea Stack level 1

Gsm

Advertisement

Hey everyone was wondering if someone could explain to me this whole gsm stuff. I am going away in a couple weeks and was wondering how I was gonna get dinged for this. I called my provider (Telus) and I could tell they weren't too experienced in the whole matter. My girlfriend is bringing her storm as well and if I wanna call her is it local or long distance? And vise versa? If I call a local number is it local or long distance charges? I am under the impression that my phone uses local rates to make local calls. Is this true? If so is there any unlimited evenings and weekends or is it straight minute usage? If it makes any difference I am going to Jamaica. Thanks in advance.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You would need to call Telus again and ask to talk to somebody in the international department. same people that will activate your Telus SIM.
    It works like a phonebooth for long distance IN CANADA (with Rogers). Meaning if you are in Toronto with an Ottawa number then local calls to Toronto are local rates, calling back to Ottawa is more expensive.
    Im not sure if it works the same way for Roaming with Telus.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterzroll View Post
    Hey everyone was wondering if someone could explain to me this whole gsm stuff. I am going away in a couple weeks and was wondering how I was gonna get dinged for this. I called my provider (Telus) and I could tell they weren't too experienced in the whole matter. My girlfriend is bringing her storm as well and if I wanna call her is it local or long distance? And vise versa? If I call a local number is it local or long distance charges? I am under the impression that my phone uses local rates to make local calls. Is this true? If so is there any unlimited evenings and weekends or is it straight minute usage? If it makes any difference I am going to Jamaica. Thanks in advance.
    Generally when it comes to roaming charges it is as follows;

If you call your girlfriend while you are abroad, you will be dinged for ''calling home''(long distance) and she will be dinged for roaming, so its very expensive to do this.

If you call a local number.. its not as cheap as a regular local phone call with a local phone, but still cheaper than calling home or your girlfriend

Generally your phone does not make local calls at local rates. It is a much better idea to always have a cheap unlocked phone with you and buy a local pre paid sim card.

Below are the links for telus' roaming rates/ all you have to search for is ''international roaming rates'' on their site.

http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/cove...ming_pay.shtml

http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/cove...ing_maps.shtml
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

PIN/ID
    AskMe

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    no problem........... if there is 1 thing i know about, its roaming. I have sim cards from atleast 6-7 countries. and carry at least 2 different ones at a time.

I forgot to mention that yes, shooterzroll was correct when he mentioned telus is very inexperienced when it comes to world roaming. I have travelled with someone who had a telus 8830, and they had nothing but problems with data and making calls... everytime we called telus, they blamed it on the carrier where we were travelling.. which is B.S. because we had the same problems in the bahamas, europe and dubai. The people with rogers' BB's had no problems what so ever and I have a fido sim card which I have used all around the world for the last 6 years without any issues.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 01-04-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Indeed we at Rogers are really proud of our seamless roaming.