the props for this goes to jolly burner at a different website these are his ... BlackBerry Storm forum

jeffthehammer no está en línea Stack level 2

Google maps temporary fix for TELUS/Bell 9530

Advertisement

the props for this goes to jolly burner at a different website

these are his words not mine!

"""""""""""OMG its Google Maps w/GPS on 9530 Telus!!
    ok dudes, i figured out how to get GPS working on googlemaps if your on a 9530 w/Telus, or probably any other carrier with which you are experiencing similar difficulties. if youve read everything, tried everything, your BB maps GPS works, you have latest gmaps 3.0.2 and its still not workin, this post is for you.

tl;dr : go to turns

let me start out by sayin im on .109, that may be crucial to your success. ill update with my results on .114 later.

i HAVE NOT done the Telus GPS fix posted here, its for improving the speed at which you acquire your gps signal not making it work in the first place. if you cant get a signal atall, your most likely reading the right thread. it says GPS temporarily unavailable, shows you a blue dot with a big area around it, mine says 2200m, and its way off target. again, ill update with results of that fix when i try it, im sure it does improve functionality.

now, the good stuff. im not sure exactly what has caused this conflict, but after some careful analysis i believe the problem to be caused by Telus's network trying to aid your location, googlemaps trying to use that info, but without success due to it being a CDMA network or somethingorother...

how i came to figure this out was i ran across a post on some random forum i found during a google search which said if you switched from 1xEV to GSM all a sudden your googlemaps GPS will work.

so i try this, sure enuff, it does work. interesting. googlemaps CAN use the GPS on my Telus Storm. now we face a new problem. you cant load map images if your not connected to your network. and were now not connected.

so just to make sure im not trippin, i reconnect to Telus, load up a bunch of resolutions of images where im at. leavin the program runnin i then disconnect from the network without changing the network technology from 1xEV to GSM/UMTS. go back to googlemaps, click locate button, nada. no GPS signal, shows me a mile away at its usual spot. back out, change net tech to GSM, back in, locate.... wait... its doing something... BANG! GPS tracking on my preloaded satellite map.

so now were really happening, im walkin around, its showin me within 3m. nice. only remaining problem: still not connected to mobile network, cant load new areas/make calls. but i know now i can definately make this work.

i quickly went to apps, allowed all for googlemaps, (not sure if this has any effect, but u might want to do it just incase) then i went back to mobile network options, and i see thers this Global option... hmm... says it will auto detect my network. so im thinking, maybe, just maybe, well get the best of both worlds here.

i select global, leaving the network unconnected i return to googlemaps to see if i still have GPS. confirmed, GPS still works. ok thats the first good sign. back to connections, connect to mobile network. fingers crossed i hope that this works.

well guess what. it does. it connects me to my 1xEV. so now im on global, connected to Telus, its the moment of truth...

i enter googlemaps.... oh no! not this spot again! ffs... i am not across the river! well lets push locate just to make sure. wait... wait... omg! omgomgogmomgogmomg its movingggg!!1

YIPPEEEE!! GPS tracking, while connected to network. scroll to load new map images, confirmed working. back out of gmaps, call my fax line, phone works. email works.

GPS + network connected... AT THE SAME TIME!

now theres just one last thing to check out, power off device, power on, n see where were at. (did a pull, unsure of effect on our situation)

turns out, when we power back up, it doesnt work anymore. it also turns out, if i repeat the process of switching to GSM, loading Gmaps, gettin GPS locked in, then switching back to global with gmaps still running, it works. you can exit and open it back up, it still works. the only thing is it takes a bit to locate you, at first it looks like the same old no GPS, it starts in the same wrong spot, but wait ~ 15 secs and it will snap to.

*2 important things to note about this as of right now*

1) this may be dependent on having the area preloaded at certain resolutions, if this is the case then well have to look into how the data is stored, if and when it gets automatically wiped, and what the limitations are as to total saved area, aswell as the possibility of backing up/loading this data thru utils.

2) i believe it may somehow revert to its original inactive state even without powering down the device after some time, or perhaps as a result of using certain functions. u just rinse/repeat the gsm switch to get it goin again. well have to keep an eye on this.

now, if anyone has read all this and its not working for you, and your on telus, id guess some of your options are set different than mine. also im on a pretty barebones OS load atm, ditched alot of stuff i dont use, but basically the settings are mostly default .109, so try that first. """""""""""""""
    Last edited by jeffthehammer; 03-30-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: removed outside links

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sounds like a awful lot of work for a solution not very repeatable and only useful on foot. What does Telus say, its supposed to work? It just started working with 3.0.2 for Verizon Storms. The way the LBS API works Requires connection with a server on Telus for location to work at all, so if Telus hasn't turned that on (it is confirmed on for BBMaps) then any hoops like this jumped through are only lucky at best that they work at all.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jeffthehammer no está en línea Stack level 2
    I know google is aware but I'm sure Telus and Bell dont really give a damn because BBmaps is working out of the box so any 3rd party software is not their problem. I just came across this guy's post trying to help out another user, hopefully they let their carrier know the issue and tell them what they had to do. And hopefully someone there can figure it out. I've found that using forums is far easier than talking to tech support at my phone company. The last time I did that I was on the phone trying to explain that all i wanted to do was swap phone numbers from my old account to a new phone. It took nearly an hour before I talked to someone with brains and they did it in 5 minutes.

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    Sounds like a awful lot of work for a solution not very repeatable and only useful on foot. What does Telus say, its supposed to work? It just started working with 3.0.2 for Verizon Storms. The way the LBS API works Requires connection with a server on Telus for location to work at all, so if Telus hasn't turned that on (it is confirmed on for BBMaps) then any hoops like this jumped through are only lucky at best that they work at all.
    He's right.. BBMaps works straight out of the box. :-\

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    I have a bell storm and have no issues with GPS not working. Had a telus curve an it worked fine too.

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    And I can MMS on mine.

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetneo View Post
    And I can MMS on mine.
    Teach me the ways of MMS!!

jamie_2692 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Why go through all of that for an inconsistent solution when BB maps does basically the same thing. Even better would be to get Telus Navigator. Get real time traffic info with time delays on your route plus everything else most people probably wasted $400 on a GPS only device last year.

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Have to have bell to mms.