So apparently this problem had been famous for the 9530 and a fix had been ... BlackBerry Storm forum

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3

Should I give up and sell my Storm2 9550??? I CANNOT find a fix for "edge"

Advertisement

So apparently this problem had been famous for the 9530 and a fix had been released for it...except I have a 9550 and this "fix" isn't fixing my EDGE/edge problem!!!!

I had spent the past 24 hours (literally) trying to "fix" this EDGE/edge dilemma and it's driving me nuts. Okay...so I have an unlocked Storm2 9550 and I'm using it with Rogers. If I don't use the internet, I get a solid EDGE and can still receive emails and BBM messages. Once I open up the browser and a page starts loading...it drops to edge. Once I open an app that requires data, it drops to edge. Every thread I've read about this, whether it was from CB, pinstack, bb forums, howardforums, ETC ETC ETC....it was from last year regarding the 9530 and the "fix" was just switching the radio in the OS.

THIS DOESNT HELP FOR ME

- I've tried the CrackUtil method...although it was pointless because I have the required Service Books.

- I have my connection settings to 2G. I figured that out before even thinking of researching the problem.

- I've tested this with APN checked AND unchecked. Still no go.

- I've installed and loaded EIGHT different OS's....5 of them hybrids. AND NADA!

I am getting extremely irritated as I do NOT want to have to rely on wi-fi to use the internet...I am paying for my data plan so if I'd like to use the internet on my device while I'm out and on the go...I should be able to do so

If there is ANY fix for the 9550 then please for the love of all blackberrys...share it with me or I will HAVE to go back to my 8900 and sell this Storm....
    ..miz melly jelly™..
    Carrier: Rogers
    Device: rooted HTC Inspire 4G
    ROM: Virtuous Unity v1.27.0 with Sense 3

TwitterGoogle+

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b
    I am not familiar with rogers, and it looks like you have been very thorough with your troubleshooting.

I don't see mention of your service books being resent. Maybe it wasn't mention and you did, sorry if this is the case.

Also, are any of the OS's you have tried directly from rogers?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticGolem View Post
    Also, are any of the OS's you have tried directly from rogers?
    i have resent the service books. and no, none of the OS's are directly from Rogers because it's a Verizon phone. i originally started using it with the default OS, had updated the OS, discovered the "edge" issue, downgraded back to default OS, and realized that the "edge" issue was always there. it didn't matter which OS i used, i cannot get the damn thing to stay on "EDGE".
    ..miz melly jelly™..

TwitterGoogle+

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b
    Can you try taking your internet (wap browser etc) service books and loading them directly onto your storm? I remember doing that back on an old 8700

I think I've discovered the problem.

"EDGE" only turns to "edge" when I have the default internet browser configuration set to Shop - Magasin, which is essentially the WAP browser. So I went into my Browser settings and made sure everything was set to Internet Browser (the default Blackberry Browser) and not the Rogers WAP browser. And what do you know...with every website I visited, EDGE didn't drop once. :eek:

To explain further...

The data relies on the device's BIS connection, therefore it needs to be connected with the simplest setting of Internet Browser, and not WAP browser. The TCP/APN settings doesn't seem to matter according from what I've tested. What made the difference for me was just the setting of my Default Browser configuration. I had it set to "Shop - Magasin" (Roger's WAP browser), which now makes sense to me why my device was losing it's connection because the WAP browser setting tries to load Verizon's WAP browser which of course is incompatible with Roger's WAP connection, thus leading it to drop the data signal, even with Rogers' Service Books loaded on the device.

I understood when I kept reading everywhere that "you have to uncheck TCP/APN and leave it blank to hold EDGE" because apps or websites that rely on streaming falls back on the Default WAP browser configuration which will make you go from EDGE to edge. But I guess to put it in most simplest terms for the average JoeShmoe: use the default Internet Browser...not the WAP browser! lol it made such a difference! I don't need a specific radio, and I can check APN with the right settings or uncheck it..neither made a difference....EDGE withheld either way with all my apps fully functioning.

I've also tested that when streaming videos, EDGE ends up dropping to edge but the video will continue streaming. When I close youtube, edge pops back up to EDGE as if I never got disconnected.

I thought I'd share this for anyone else to test this out for themself, especially Rogers' users in case it might help them solve this same silly problem that I went through @_@. lol even a poor Roges Tech rep couldn't help me out. But hey, it's all about trial and error right? Anyhow I do appreciate everyone's supportive suggestions and help ^_^.

So to conclude...it looks like I won't be selling my Storm2 9550 xD

And now I have a micro SD card problem to solve....but that's another chapter of "melly's dramatic technical problems".........to be continued. *dum dum dum*
    Last edited by mizmellyjelly; 05-21-2010 at 11:06 AM.

mzniki0921 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30FB3AD8
    i dont understand how you can have so many problems with your model i have a storm 2 9520 unlocked from vodafone and i used it on rogers took me litterally 2 seconds to set up and havent looked back since. the only thing that mind boggles me is when i did an OS update at the time i believe it was a leaked verizon i got from vodafone and the lock icon disappears when there is no password enabled. its not a problem just annoying but i cope. i cant understand how you could have tons of problems.30FB3AD8 add me if you have more problems i could try to help plus i make KILLER themes!!!

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Keep your Storm2. Change your service provider.

Just my two cents.
    Current OS: Mark Hayes 9550 v2.1 Hybrid
    Driphter.com - Help and Support Team
    Email: dlsolo@driphter.com
    Google Talk: dlsolo@gmail.com

haha thanks for your feedback and input guys but i already sold it. my boyfriend decided to get me the iphone 4 instead so i'm just back to my 8900 waiting patiently for it to launch on Rogers.

Appreciate it though
    Last edited by mizmellyjelly; 07-22-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: i should probably edit my sig xD
    ..miz melly jelly™..

TwitterGoogle+

Paulbob58 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    311A1AE6
    WOW! I am so impressed that you figured this out on your own. I work with a bunch of people that have Blackberry's of all sorts and they don't even know what OS they are running...WHAT???!!! Anyway good job on that and maybe you should look at the torch...that looks like fun and it has the new OS on it.