Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just upgraded to a Storm a couple days ago and have been adding a ... BlackBerry Storm forum

wanska13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30595C68

Free up app memory?

Advertisement

I just upgraded to a Storm a couple days ago and have been adding a few of the new apps to my device. I just tried to add a new one, and was told that I don't have enough space. I checked the memory and it says that I only have 1.3 MB of space for App Memory, but 878.9 MB of Device Memory open. Is there a way I can take some of the device memory and transfer it to the Application memory? I've only added a few apps so far, so it seems odd that I would have used all my available app space already. If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    a couple of things....

1. you cant use your device memory to install apps...
    2. ive got a bold and have installed close to 30ish apps on there... and still have abt 30mb to spare... what apps have you installed so far?
    3. when was the last time you did a battery pull on your device? blackberries regularly drain memory and its best that you do a battery pull every couple of days (but you havent had it that long... )

let me know abt what apps you have and maybe we can figure this out... and do a battery pull anyway...

hope that helps...
    i see RED...

PIN/ID
    30595C68
    Thanks! I tried the battery pull and that seemed to do the trick. I actually had to pull it last night because froze on something, but the apps I downloaded today must have gotten it all screwy. Anyhow, I am back up to 20 MB, so I should be okay for now.

Thanks again!

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Let us know what OS version you're running... The newer ones have really made it work much better...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Yeah the latest ones are much more stable. . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

RukusFB no está en línea Stack level 1
    there are several things you can do to free up app memory, besides battery pulls and removing apps you dont use, there are tons of cod files that are never in use and that you will never use, if you would like to try this let me know, i have a tutorial i can post

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    RukusFB, I love tutorials!!! There is (most of the time) ao much knowlege that can be achived that way, so hit us up!!! Thanks for taking the time to build it in advance.

-Hank

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yup, definately shoot us a tutorial... Definately interested in reading up... Thanks...

RukusFB no está en línea Stack level 1

how to

This is also posted over here with some other helpful how tos!!

For our Berries to run like we want them, we need somewhere around 12MB of free file space... Are you losing past calendar entries, text messages, e-mail, etc.?? Our Berries are pretty decent from the store, but like anything else, could use some modification... Because we don't need programs starting up and erasing vital information you need...

Install DM (Desktop Manager)
    If you purchased a new phone then it should've came with a disk for your CD-Rom. If you bought a re-furb or from a friend, and/or you just want the latest and greatest(4.5) go HERE
    Just select your carrier and download the DM of your choice. Download and run or download and save. Either way, you need to install to your computer, and theres a Wizard to help you, besides it's pretty straight foward.

BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
    This is very Important. Plug in your Berry, open DM, select Backup/Restore;opt for the back-up function.

Install OS
    You can get the OS from the link above. Also, you can upgrade if you please but as for this Optimization, we are just working with what we already have. In order to determine what exacly what that is hold the Alt key and type E A C E
    This will display a screen with your Vendor ID, Platform, Application Version, and some other information. We are only concerned with the version number which should read something like 4.2.2.170. Make sure to download the Version number and not the package number. Now, find your carrier and download the corresponding OS. Once downloaded, install in the same manner as the DM.

Delete Vendor XML
    I'm not familiar with Vista, so this is a Windows version and I apologize. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and delete the VendorXML file. It should be on the bottom right hand side. Don't freak out, this only tells the DM which carriers OS to load into your device, nothing else.

Voice Activated Dialing
    This feature I do not use, and it's a must go on my list. Now If you remove this you will lose your about screen if you are running OS 4.3 and higher. So what, but if it matters to you, then don't do it.. Now, I remove ALL vad.cod files, others do not, but if you're going to take some out, then why not all? I mentioned cod files. These files are located in C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles--then click on your version OS. You should see a Java folder;double click on it. Here are the .cod files. Now we DO NOT want to DELETE these files. You need to make a new folder inside the Java folder and name it "Removed". It is in this folder in which the .cod files will live out their days. Now scroll through the files and look for files like this:

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource_en.cod

Drag all of the vad.cod files and drop them into the "Removed" folder.

Themes
    I don't use alot of themes, so I delete all that I can. However, you need to keep your carrier specific theme, and all basic net_rim_theme_bbdimension themes.(these themes will NOT have a vendor number associated with them)
    So, if you're on AT&T I recommend you leave AT&T's theme and bbdimension themes...delete the rest. Carrier vendor numbers are as followed:
    AT&T: 102
    VZW:105
    Sprint: 104
    T-MO: 100
    Rogers: 107
    Bell: 109
    Telefonica: 129
    TIM: 115
    T-MO UK: 114
    Vodafone: 120
    O2: 125
    Orange: 119
    Also, you can remove:

net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod

This is "my faves" from T-Mobile. If you have T-mo and use this then do not remove. **OS's lower than 4.5 will be net_rim_bb_media_ and not media loader.**

PTT (AT&T ONLY)
    Now if you're on AT&T like myself and don't use Push-To-Talk, this is something you definitely want to remove. Look for:

KnJCDE.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod

Pre-Installed Wallpaper
    Now this takes up quite a bit of memory so it's good to remove it. Look for:

net_rim_bb_medialoader_240x260_b.cod (Blackberry Pearl)
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.cod (Full QWERTY)

**Once again, OS's lower than 4.5 will be net_rim_bb_media_ instead of medialoader**

Password Keeper
    If you do not use this function, it can go..Look for:

net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper.cod

And any other .cod's associated with passwordkeeper.

DoD Root Certs
    Unless you work for the DOJ, it can go..Look for:

net_rim_DoDRootCerts.cod

Foreign Fonts
    I doubt you need them, so look for: net_rim_font_korean.cod
    Don not delete the Latin font, but any other foreign fonts. I myself, delete foreign anything, as I don't need them.

RIM Internal Tools/Apps
    This is where the Infamous brother Quincy, Bugreport, & Batterylog come from. However, it is not loaded into every OS. I belive it's only bundled into OS 4.5.0.44 and higher for the 8310. If you have a 8310, and are installing .44 or higher, go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and just remove the program from your computer. Thats all it takes.

Finish
    Now it's time to connect your device into the computer with a USB cable. Then click on Desktop Manager. Select Apploader, you should see a list of of Applications in which you can check or un-check. I make sure I check:
    Core Apps
    Blackberry Attachment Service
    BB Messenger
    And any 3rd party apps such as Weather-eye, Foxnews, etc.
    Make sure anything you're not going to use, like MDS runtime, Sample Video, etc...
    Click Next, and the Apploader will begin. It will also show you a list of Modules that are being deleted.. This could take a little while, so go take a break, relieve some stress, and think about your new optimized Berry... Once done, the DM will prompt and say "Loading operation was sucessful". And PRESTO!!.. You're done.

PIN/ID
    30595C68
    Thanks for all the tips - and big thanks to Ruckus for the tutorial. I will definitely get in there and take some of that extra stuff out.

I am using 4.7.075 right now - as that is what came with my device. I was looking at the .109 update, but I heard that is a European only version, so I do not want to chance messing anything up - though if other folks are using it, then I may give it a shot.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Many of the things listed in that tutorial are not going to be on your BB anyway like the vendor themes. Just your verizon theme and the dimension themes will be there. The extra languages you can remove right from the BB itself if you didn't do it already o initial setup. There are many things that show in the java folder on the PC but are not actually on your BB.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by wanska13 View Post
    I am using 4.7.075 right now - as that is what came with my device. I was looking at the .109 update, but I heard that is a European only version, so I do not want to chance messing anything up - though if other folks are using it, then I may give it a shot.
    that is not true. 109 works great,give it a shot.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Many of the things listed in that tutorial are not going to be on your BB anyway like the vendor themes. Just your verizon theme and the dimension themes will be there. The extra languages you can remove right from the BB itself if you didn't do it already o initial setup. There are many things that show in the java folder on the PC but are not actually on your BB.
    very true az. i have removed several cods from my 109 os and haven't been able to increase the memory at all.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    30595C68
    Loading the .109 OS right now - wish me luck, everyone...

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Dude... Good luck !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast