Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There are lots of reasons why, but I use two devices - a 3G iphone ... BlackBerry Storm forum

StefanSmith no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206839C0

Existing users misunderstanding the Storm??

Advertisement

There are lots of reasons why, but I use two devices - a 3G iphone and Bold. I now have a third device - a Storm - my second Storm in fact (first one went back) which I am testing to possible issue as replacements to aging curve units for some of my employee's.

I am just sharing some initial thoughts on the Storm from the perspective of existing BB users who are considering the Storm vs Bold; or moving away from their Curve to a Storm. In fact, most of my comments are really aimed at what I think is a fundamental misunderstanding about the Storm when it comes to EXISTING BB users who have switched or are considering the switch.

My comments are 100% pitched at EXISTING users of BB devices; and those who have plenty of experience. I don't think my comments hold water with new BB users or users who have no BB experience at all.

A hardnosed BB user is someone absolutely familiar with the menu structures, very proficient with the track ball; and a reasonable if not quick typist on the keyboard of their existing device.

So, from the perspective of the hardnosed BB user only, how does the Storm stack up?

Unfortunately, it doesn't. At all. I absolutely love the device in so many ways. At this moment in time, it is clear from my own observations - and the observations of thousands of others across many forums, that the OS has some serious problems. And serious problems they are. From reception signals, to a very laggy OS that really must be addressed, etc. Yes - firmware updates will address these issues. Those problems will be dealt with.

What cannot be addressed is the problem with the SurePress system and the overall produtivity loss in usability. And as I own an iPhone, the same productivity loss can be seen there.

Bottom line - if you are a hardnosed BB user, you can use a BB device one handed with the track ball at incredible speed. I can compose an email with one sentence at least 80% quicker on my Bold than any other device I have owned or presently own. Touchscreen interaction means loss of speed when you become so familiar with a BB device running with the track ball. Period.

And this is very true of the Storm - and this isn't a limitation of the Storm itself - its just I truly believe touch systems are not as quick as when it comes to using them.

The other problem with the SurePress system - this is documented elsewhere in this forum and in many others too, is you cannot type as quickly as you might think. This is a hardware limitation.

To be fair to RIM, I don't think this is a major problem. And here is why. In fact, the crux of all negativity towards the Storm (other than OS problems which will get fixed & may be some UI issues), will come down to the ability to type.

Anyway, here is what I think is the central problem:

The Storm has caused quite a stir. And understandably, attracted huge attention from the EXISTING BB community.

But I am not entirely sure the EXISTING BB community was who RIM intended the device for!!!

There would always be an inevitability that people would switch. But the reason RIM has the Bold, Curve etc. is because they meet the demands of certain categories/groups of users.

The more I have used the Storm, the more I realise it is a perfect device to compete with the iPhone...and pitched very much at NEW people! People who ordinarily might not consider a BB device.

And in that respect, the Storm really is a great device. And I think RIM have created something worthy to challenge Apple.

Typing on an iPhone takes great practice - even with their excellent auto correction system, it can be a pain in the rear end. But this hasn't stopped millions of them being sold. I think there are a great many non-power iPhone users who are happy with the speed at which they can type on that particular device.

And the same applies to the Storm.

The problem comes when EXISTING BB users do the inevitable comparisons. Then everything falls apart.

It has taken me a few days to realise that my negativity towards the Storm is because I am not who RIM intended the device for!

I have a Bold with a super fast OS and top notch keyboard. And boy I am quick at using the device. About the only think I don't like is the browser and this is where is touchscreen comes into play.

I have grown accustomed to typing at such high speeds on the Bold, the Storm physically cannot compete. And therefore, my frustration with it is high.

But RIM didn't intend me to have this device. They intended me to have the Bold. And that is what I have realised.

The Storm is exciting for the existing BB community. But there is a reality attached to it. The mix of hardware styles RIM have out there (Curve, Bold, Flip, Storm) is for a reason - differing requirements for different categories/groups.

I think a huge number of existing BB users will be drawn to the Storm but if they find disappointment it will be less that the device is disappointing but more that they forget they weren't perhaps the real intended audience for the device!

For me personally, there is a little too much psychology that the Storm will measure up in everyway and it cannot.

cabinets no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow! That was all over the map!

jiggaman2g no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301D5887
    You post is very well put together. I read somewhere that you are able to adjust the reaction time on the storm screen, not sure if you have given that a try as oppose to the default setting?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    That was a pretty good analysis. I do agree that there was no way this phone was meant to attract current bb power users. This is my little opinion!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hockeymn25 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yea, good post. I have a curve and The wife has iphone and if you need your device for business, then the curve or bold is the only way to go. iphone will never be as fast for typing e-mails and so forth simply because the keyboard isn't as good as bb.

storm is a competitor for iphone, case closed. Its a nice toy but not great for business.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    With the direction that these new phones are going, the best thing to do is try it out in person before plopping down the big bucks and possibly regretting the purchase later. Or, just WAIT to buy the newest and read the reviews, talk to other users before taking a risk.

That is what's great about this site...there is always someone who is willing to share with the rest of us what they have discovered about BBs.

bassvictim no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    HEAD
    Remember the days when you had to actually hand-write a letter,and put it in the mailbox,and wait for like a week until it got to the person you were writing? So what if it takes an extra 30 seconds to write an e-mail,maybe it's RIM's way of telling us we need to slow down a bit,don't work ourselves to death,we get used to a fast-paced lifestyle, and then before you know it - you're 65 years old,and missed out on all the little things in life that we usually take granted. Life's too short, I can deal with typing a little bit slower. Just my opinion.
    "I am a robot, I like robots, I have a robot vagina." -JP,Grandma's boy

davidjohnson no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30666B3D
    error
    Last edited by davidjohnson; 11-23-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: accidentally hit button before ready to post...

davidjohnson no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30666B3D

Thumbs up Storm, almost perfect, but ready for Business? And where's Bell Mobility?

a few comments: first - well done, well written.

I've had the occasion to play with a Storm @ a trade show a few weeks ago, and as a hardnosed muti-generation BB user, it's just not up to my business needs. As cool as it, as great as the screen is, and as much as I crave the latest, I'm more likely to stick with my 8830 unless the useability of the touch keyboard improves (although it's much better than the iPhone). There may be a way to learn faster keyboarding with this new device - maybe some touch adjustments - but I'm just not seeing it.

A colleague of mine bought the Bold within a day of its release here in Canada, and man is that the unit for me. Although, I'll always expect the Storm will be the more fun unit, the core BB league is really all about business 1st, but great to see that they're considering play as well.

You've got to hand it to RIM for keeping in the game and playing it well, and reacting well to market competitive threats, and satisfying their existing users needs at the same time - well done there as well.

Now if only Bell Mobility could get in the game and satisfy the market's demand for the new RIM units - might just be worth paying out on contract commitments to get the current goodies on Rogers or Telus (saw the first Telus Storm ad for $199 tonight). Is Bell sleeping, or just really, really out of touch with their clients, trends, and market demand...

RIM, a Canadian success story, and yet Bell beats down CRTC to submit to their throttling clutch on their Internet services; Really now, what is up with Bell and where do they get off.

DJ
    Last edited by davidjohnson; 11-23-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarifying statement...

PIN/ID
    206839C0
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman2g View Post
    You post is very well put together. I read somewhere that you are able to adjust the reaction time on the storm screen, not sure if you have given that a try as oppose to the default setting?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hi - yes - settings played with. Basically, this is more about the hardware design and physics than anything else.

As far as typing goes, here are the problems.

Firstly, the SurePress system is excellent. You feel like you are hitting a key. BUT - its one button. So, around edges of the screen more force is needed to push and this becomes tiring. Secondly, you must wait for the screen to return to the fully upright position before hitting the next letter. The problem here is that you think you have typed 2 letters and only one appears...this comes about because you are too quick at going for the next letter.

Secondly, SureType in portrait mode. Now - I was a longterm user of the Pearl 8100 and 8120. For a period of time it was more relevant for me to have a smaller device to carry. And I found typing on SureType a breeze...and was extremely quick. But, this takes time to master and is not to everyones taste.

As for the Landscape keyboard, what a disaster. It is very difficult to type on this accurately and whilst I accept some people will improve considerably over time, the learning curve is going to be a VERY LONG ONE!

Example of typing speeds:

To type "The cat sat on the mat" - I can type this in 3.75 seconds on my Bold. I have timed myself a few times.

On the Storm, using SureType, 13.5 seconds. Two problems here - when you type sat it comes up as "sat" in the predictive text so you have to stop and select this;the word mat comes up as "may" and again you have to select the word mat from the drop down list.

I tried using the landscape keyboard but gave up - couldn't type at any speed worthwhile to mention here which didn't involve a typo.

I am going to be fairly arrogant here - take with a pinch of salt forum posts saying typing is ok! Why do I say that? Because typing speed or rather the perception of typing speed is so subjective. Yes - like anything - use a device for a couple of months and you there will be improvement. But I suspect those who find it ok to type on are ok to type more methodically and their perception of speed is somewhat slower than a hardened BB typist.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I have been awaiting the Storm with baited breath. However, it has become clear that I will probably not be happy with the device. The reasons stated above, and in various other forums have convinced me to go to Telus and PLAY with it, thus getting it out of my system.

I type about 55 to 60 words per minute on my Bold. I can't see being happy with anything less on another device. It is time to replace my Curve, so I will wait, patiently, for a CDMA version of the Javelin to hit the market.

Thanks for a great article. You sold me, or rather unsold me on the Storm.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    206839C0
    Quote Originally Posted by bassvictim View Post
    Remember the days when you had to actually hand-write a letter,and put it in the mailbox,and wait for like a week until it got to the person you were writing? So what if it takes an extra 30 seconds to write an e-mail,maybe it's RIM's way of telling us we need to slow down a bit,don't work ourselves to death,we get used to a fast-paced lifestyle, and then before you know it - you're 65 years old,and missed out on all the little things in life that we usually take granted. Life's too short, I can deal with typing a little bit slower. Just my opinion.
    Conversely, I like to get things done quicker. Its not just about typing but also navigating the device. Productivity is everymuch about SAVING time rather than getting more done in the same time.

I would rather work quicker in a shorter period of time and therefore work less

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    WOW....all this about the typing...LOL..maybe because I have small fingers or something, but I have no problem typing on the phone. Maybe some are more adaptive than others....but I dont have an issue. Yesterday was a day full of emails and texts regarding my business (and I consider myself a hard core user of the BB's)....and I didn't have a single issue. Often replying quicker than others in the same email chat that were sitting infront of their computer.

All in all--play with the darn thing. Get a feel for it yourself. If you are on the fence, go to a store and form your own opinion...worst case? Try it for 15 days and then return it....

Good post though
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

PIN/ID
    206839C0
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    WOW....all this about the typing...LOL..maybe because I have small fingers or something, but I have no problem typing on the phone. Maybe some are more adaptive than others....but I dont have an issue. Yesterday was a day full of emails and texts regarding my business (and I consider myself a hard core user of the BB's)....and I didn't have a single issue. Often replying quicker than others in the same email chat that were sitting infront of their computer.

All in all--play with the darn thing. Get a feel for it yourself. If you are on the fence, go to a store and form your own opinion...worst case? Try it for 15 days and then return it....

Good post though
    Thanks for the kind remarks about the post I think the issue is this - when Apple released the iPhone, it challenged the entire industry about putting keyboards on these devices (prosumer or business). Yet one of the defining "things" about BB is their keyboards. Not just that they include one, but the quality/design/engingeering that goes in.

And if you are used BB's for many years, you become accustomed.

I can type on the Storm at a reasonable pace. But the big learning curve is to untrain me from the speed I have been accustomed too on previous devices. And that is very hard to do What happens with me is I get quicker and quicker and then suddenly errors occur because of the physical limitations.

And its not just typing. Navigating too.

This afternoon, for work, I recorded 6 voice notes which I emailed to various people. The whole email process is very quick when you are used to the menu system blah blah blah. As an experiment I played with this on my Storm and this was not about typing but about menu selection and speed of use etc. Huge difference. Now - from the perspective of navigating the OS, I think this is something inherent in touch screens anyway. I really think the track ball system RIM developed when used for a period of time is MORE EFFICIENT than touching a screen (this is of course IMHO).

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    All I have to say about the issue is stick with what you're comfortable with using. Whether it's a trackball, trackwheel, touchscreen, navigational joystick, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast