I know this has been talked about before but just thought I would bring it ... BlackBerry Storm forum

hatch.duffy no está en línea Stack level 1

Disabling Surepress

Advertisement

I know this has been talked about before but just thought I would bring it up again. Anyone have any idea if RIM plans to offer an option to disable the SurePress? Personally I love it for selecting options in menus, selecting links when browsing, etc. I would like to see the option to turn it off completely or be able to choose which functions use the screen press as the input and which simply allow input by touch.

And no, I should not "get an iphone" before those comments post. Not the type of response I'm after. Just want to see what the rest of you think about it or the possibility of it.

Personally I think RIM would attract a lot more storm owners. The SurePress is def innovative, however for some of us it misses the mark when it comes to typing. I have had 2 other blackberries (7250, 8830) so I am very used to the idea of having a physical keyboard. But I feel like I could actually do without the click while i am typing. I type much faster than the screen rebounds. So why not try and attract both audiences? That's what they are in it for, to sell devices right? Probably a much larger market base if they were to offer the disable.

BTW, part of the Lucky Storm club that has had no problems since I got it on Nov. 21. I have upgraded from .65 to .75 to .76 to .83 and am now running .85 since it was first leaked!

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    that would be very interesting.. i wouldn't mind it being disabled as well at least when typing because i agree with you about typing faster than the screen rebounds.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't think that's gonna happen. I think the surepress screen is more or less part of the phone's overall makeup and disabling it would mess up more than you think. People get used to it over time just like they do the iphone's screen. You say you like surepress for selecting links and options, that's the thing I hated about it (love this with the iPhone). Some things are easier to do on the iPhone, some are easier on the Storm. There's no perfect screen.
    Last edited by TheBigNewt; 01-07-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

WiseGuy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30490E4B
    id like the option.
    david

aaronnieves no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305F72EB
    This would be good for games and some media apps IMO

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I dont think RIM would allow that because it would simply look like them saying : " Oh and in case you dont think our new revolutionary technology is good just use the good old touch".
    The Storm was meant for SurePress and thats how itll always be (on this one at least) - just MHO btw.

RCode no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F0A29
    If RIM doesn't do it, i'm sure someone else will figure out how to create some 3rd party software that can. I think it's a good idea to give the option. If you want to use it, you can. If not, then don't. I don't think it would mess anything up in the phone. Either you click or you don't. And either you highlight something or you don't.

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    I doubt this could be done since the whole OS experience it made around the "touch to scroll, press to select" functionality....how would the browser work if you touched a link when you meant to scroll?

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    i actually love how opera mini works on the storm.. there is no clicking involved other than clicking on yes to download and connect.. also with the menu options you must click. but the browsing interface is all touch functionality. and it's 100 times faster than the bb browser.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by rrife View Post
    I doubt this could be done since the whole OS experience it made around the "touch to scroll, press to select" functionality....how would the browser work if you touched a link when you meant to scroll?
    I actually love it for browsing and selecting menu items as I stated in my post. So I'm completely with you there. Mainly just concerned about the the typing because I type way faster than the screen rebounds. I actually played with a Samsung Behold and an Ipod Touch this weekend and was much faster typing on those than I am on the storm (not that I'm bad at the storm I'm just wicked quick like that) with very few errors...no more than I already make with the storm. Personal opinion of course but I am sure there are others that would like to see the disable at least for typing. I don't think there is any point in not being able to disable it strictly for principle ("we want to be different from all the other touchscreens", etc...). Fact is RIM has revolutionized the touchscreen experience with the ability to click. However, it's what consumers want that are going to sell their devices and I would go so far as to guess that at least half of all storm owners would want to OPTION to do this. Use the click to type if you want; touch to type if you want.

I'm a java programmer, so I don't see why they can't have the input recognized by a touch. When I touch a 'T' it knows i'm touching 'T' because it lights up. Seems like they would just need to change the listener to input the letter on touch rather than input on click.

Maybe they should hire me! :-)

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    theres no doubt that its not a hard fix, trust me... either input method is actually pretty easy and straight forward, whether or not they will allow the option to disable it... doubt it! I dont like typing with qwerty, but I find the sureType method(portrait) just as easy and fast as a physical keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by dean0uga View Post
    theres no doubt that its not a hard fix, trust me... either input method is actually pretty easy and straight forward, whether or not they will allow the option to disable it... doubt it! I dont like typing with qwerty, but I find the sureType method(portrait) just as easy and fast as a physical keyboard
    Wishful thinking I suppose. Either way I still love my storm.

~Blackberry Storm 9530 OS 4.7.0.86~