My wife and I both have Curves right now, but I'm planning on getting to ... BlackBerry Storm forum

traljnky no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31d34aca

Desktop manager for Storm

Advertisement

My wife and I both have Curves right now, but I'm planning on getting to my local Verizon store around 3:00am on Fri. to get 2 Storms. Do I need the latest version of the manager to backup my Curve and restore it to the Storm ? If so what version is the newest and where do I find it. Finally does my Curve have to be activated to back it up, as I plan on putting the Storm on my current number and the Curve will not be activated when I leave the store. Or at least I hope it won't be .

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    If you're on a Curve I would imagine that your are at least on DM 4.3 at this time at a minimum. Your curve does not need to be active to back it up. You can use your desktop manager's backup and restore feature to create and IPD file through your USB link. Don't hold me for it but I was able to use 4.3 to restore my files from my curve to my BOLD but then again my Curve was on the 4.5 software as well so the transition wasn't a huge difference. I would assume that it is possible but I would link the Storm onto your desktop manager to see if it communicates with the Storm first to confirm it.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah, that's good question the OP asked. I'm probably gonna do the same thing soon. My wife and I both have BBs (me 8100 her 8320) and use different DMs on our pc. I'll just dl the latest DM and backup my pearl (I hardly ever use it anymore) and when I get a storm just connect and restore the latest backup so I get my calendar and contacts from Outlook right?
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Isn't this what the "switch device" thing is for in DM? When I went from a Pearl to a Curve, I used that, and it worked like a champ!

kabeeo no está en línea Stack level 2
    Doesn't it just pick it all up on the first sync that you do?

traljnky no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31d34aca
    I was under the impression that you needed to have the latest version of the DM. Maybe I'm wrong, thats why I was asking in the first place. I have the 4.3 os on my BB.

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    The Storm is coming with DM version 4.7. It is downloadable at RIM's website. I have already loaded it and am preparing my 8830 WP....

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    to be safe...i'm not going to use device switch wizard. just going to sync with outlook and start from scratch. some had issues when the used the wizard to switch to bold.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    to be safe...i'm not going to use device switch wizard. just going to sync with outlook and start from scratch. some had issues when the used the wizard to switch to bold.
    That is a very smart and good move. I just want them to port my contacts in the store from my 8830 to my storm and I can do the rest from my PC.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Latest version of DM can be found Here

You can use device switch wizard, shouldn't have issues or do as cat suggested.
    Also be sure to back up your Curve as a precaution prior to starting.