Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I like the Bold but I want a bigger screen. Thus, I'll rather wait for ... BlackBerry Storm forum

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Bold or Thunder?

Advertisement

I like the Bold but I want a bigger screen. Thus, I'll rather wait for the Thunder to come along. Even if that means switching to Verizon (chills)

brandonmccall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I'm buying the Bold. However, I'll give the Thunder a test drive when it drops.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Like the idea of a bigger screen on the thunder but no keyboard. So might get a bold, once its not too big as don't want a phone any bigger than my curve.
    I just don't know what to do. Time will tell

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    I like the Bold but I want a bigger screen. Thus, I'll rather wait for the Thunder to come along. Even if that means switching to Verizon (chills)
    ---
    The best sequence of events is to choose your carrier _first_ based on who has the best coverage of your home area.

Then choose a phone.

Switching carriers to get a certain phone is not a good idea unless they have the best, or equal coverage. Also remember that it's best to test coverage yourself during the trial period, than to simply rely on the coverage maps they hand out.
    Good Luck!

via: Red BB 8310

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    ---
    The best sequence of events is to choose your carrier _first_ based on who has the best coverage of your home area.

Then choose a phone.

Switching carriers to get a certain phone is not a good idea unless they have the best, or equal coverage. Also remember that it's best to test coverage yourself during the trial period, than to simply rely on the coverage maps they hand out.
    Good Luck!

via: Red BB 8310

That's one of the reason why am a little upset; each carrier having a different model. I understand the concept of this; i.e using this method to bring in customers; but it still upsets me.

I am with T-mobile; thus far it has been the best service I have had since i was with nextel before sprint screwed it up. I will not switch carriers if they do not have the bold or the Thunder. I will just have to get by with what I have.

But luckily they will be carrying the bold and will hit the market at the end of August. So the wait is on.

I too luv the big screen, and I like the buttons as well. I currently own a Ipod touch; touch screen is not all that bad. Will have to test the thunder out.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I would/will be going with the bold, but does anyone know if it'll be possible to use the bold on a non-gsm network? If its not or won't be then I may end up switching providers, not sure yet.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    I would/will be going with the bold, but does anyone know if it'll be possible to use the bold on a non-gsm network? If its not or won't be then I may end up switching providers, not sure yet.

No, unfortunately you will not be able to use the Bold on any other network protocol. The Bold is GSM which stands for Global Systems Mobile. It's the dominant world wide standard, using a sim chip to store your account info and your user info. The beauty of this system is when you upgrade or change phones all you must do is move the sim from one (GSM) phone to the next. Therefore it makes it possible for someone like me to have several phones and simply move the chip into whatever phone I wish to use.

Now that said, the two GSM carriers (in the USA) just in case you are unaware, are AT&T, and T-Mobile. Thus you could purhase a Bold and use it on the T-Mobile network, but that would be the only alternate choice.

I have a few lines most with AT&T but one with T-Mobile for testing purposes, as they both feature coverage in my home area. Between the two for me it's no contest. AT&T has the clearest signal , the best choice of phones and the best customer service. And yet T-Mobile also has pretty good customer service, but the phone selection is limited. Pricing wise, while the common Myth is that T-Mobile is less, that is only on certain promotions as a one time discount. After 5 years with T-Mobile and 10 years with AT&T both companies charges today for each of my lines are nearly identical. The one other difference which is also a one time charge is that they are usually at least $75 to $100 higher on a model per mode basis when it comes to BlackBerry's.

So there's a little background for you, hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    I am with T-mobile; thus far it has been the best service I have had since i was with nextel before sprint screwed it up. I will not switch carriers if they do not have the bold or the Thunder. I will just have to get by with what I have.

But luckily they will be carrying the bold and will hit the market at the end of August. So the wait is on.
    Here's my take on it. You have two choices if you want a Bold.
    1) Buy one from AT&T, unlock it so that it works on T-Mobile.
    2) Wait until it comes out on T-Mobile.

Here is what I would do. Since the wait between the release at AT&T and T-Mobile is simply a matter of months. I would wait. The advantage of waiting is:
    1) It will save you from having to pay the full price of the phone at AT&T and incur charges to have it unlocked.
    2) By waiting, you get a T-Mobile specific model that may have a few very subtle but important improvements to allow it to operated at maximum efficiency on the T-Mobile network
    3) The models for T-Mobile may include any small bug fixes for issues discovered once the were in the hands of the consumers at AT&T and being tested by a huge number of people.

So from where I sit, the best is to wait, and your in good shape....

Cheers

rayjr13 no está en línea Stack level 1
    switching to Verizon for a phone....

Verizon has great coverage and excellent data package (price notwithstanding).

But Verizon is known to cripple the capability of a catchy clamshell, or candybar cellular...hows that for alliteration. Point being is that I agree with "choose your provider first"

I am on VZW but there is no way in the world I would switch to VZW for the sake of a phone. You'll likely find yourself disappointed.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I just hope its possible for the bold to operate on a network that doesn't support GSM, as I don't wanna pay full price for the phone or switch providers either.

will the thunder come to rogers soon you'd guys say or 6months to a year? im not really crazy at all about touch screen phones and i love my bold and theo nly thing i see the thunder having that the bold wont have isthe bigger screen and touch screen apart frmo that i dont see anything major at all the bold seems to offer more actually but that being said its a blackberry im intersted lol

BERRYCURVE no está en línea Stack level 5
    The bold for me, though I'd like to test drive the Thunder

I want a BlackBerry with a screen that's FIVE times the size of the Thunder....oh wait! I already have a laptop...
    sent via BlackBerry
    while not driving...

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    wait till November 2009 when ATT releases the bold - I'm sure you'll dig it.

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~bith for me since the thunder/storm is a world phone and my brother has vzw I'm just buying the phone and unlocking it lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast