Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with everything Jpost has noted. One thing that's not working for me is ... BlackBerry Storm forum

chrismwallace no está en línea Stack level 1

Noah Beta for Storm

Advertisement

I agree with everything Jpost has noted.

One thing that's not working for me is the notes. Awesome to be able to add them. Would like to be able to touch on the verse and have menu to add, edit or delete note. Touch doesn't seem to recognize the verse, so I have to keep using menu to go to "next verse" until I get to the one I want to add the note. Did I miss something?

kolev no está en línea Developer
    I get an error message:
    The downloaded module is incompatable with data already stored on the device. Upgrade anyway (some applications may not function)? Yes/No
    Can you try first uninstalling the previous version of Noah to see if that helps?

Does anyone else gets or did anyone else got the same error?

We know there is a problem with invalid COD on the simulator...but it's for the Bibles and not for the program...we actually are still not sure why the simulator rejects most of the Bibles...we think it has to do with the file size.

Anyway, it does not affect the real device.

The 907 errors are most commonly due to either carrier or BES manager imposed limitations...and this is actually the very first one we hear of that affects the application itself.

So , again, is anyone else getting it?

davidrudman no está en línea Stack level 1

Download

Can the Beta version be downloaded onto my desktop. I live in an area where mobile coverage is patchy and use my Storm when away from home.

Thanks to Safiy, rwrightny, pjost and everyone else who provided feedback so far.

The next build, due out soon, will address some of your notes, especially the most easily addressable ones. Others may be left for later releases.

How would Goto a Note work? How would one identify the note you want to go to?

Re: @4 of pjost - the search will unavoidably get significantly slowed down if we have to include text from the verse along with the output; also, if the words being searched are far apart enough, apparently it'll be either hard to display them all or some of them will be missing...how should that be resolved, presuming one is still willing to sacrifice some speed (or lots of memory) in order to be able to see part of the verse in the search result? Comparison with a desktop does not quite work here as a desktop has a whole lot more of a real estate.

Re: @6 of pjost - agree, but that will likely happen in the next version

pjost no está en línea Stack level 1

Searches

As I stated, the search function is really useless unless what you are looking for occurs only a couple of times. I just tried a search of the NIV on my Treo for the word "king." It only took about 2-3 seconds to find 500 occurences and list them with the context. Not a significant delay.

auburn1975 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Clean install, very usable and easy to move around within any one translation.
    -- I really likes the ability to have sub-folders within bookmarks but there is a reference to move your 'trackwheel' rather than touchscreen there in sub-folders.
    -- would really like ability to highlight in color within the verse (like underlining in your Bible)
    -- Must have ... a Holden Bible translation
    -- really like font size adjustments
    -- search function seems to work quickly and well on my Storm ...but I also would like a few words with the verse (if possible) so I could select from the context.
    -- found the break that occurs between chapters a bit strange but not a big deal.
    -- I would also really like to have an additional small function within the reader as a Simple prayer list structure (like a Note folder): all it needs is 4 parts as a prayer request, a start date, results/comment and an answer date... this would be so great to have within an eBible just like I have in a physical one.

Well, after I use it more, I may have additional comments; but I sincerely like the direction your beta is going in....Thank-you for the opportunity to test it out.

~~~
    -- another feature that would be most benifitual would be to have a 1 year plan that is hyperlinked to that day's selection. ) in a perfect application.
    Last edited by auburn1975; 02-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjost View Post
    As I stated, the search function is really useless unless what you are looking for occurs only a couple of times. I just tried a search of the NIV on my Treo for the word "king." It only took about 2-3 seconds to find 500 occurences and list them with the context. Not a significant delay.
    Right. But the program on your treo is likely running *native* on an ARM processor whereas every BlackBerry program is running on a virtual machine with virtual Java processor bytecode; not just that, but your Treo's OS is 8-byte one whereas the BlackBerry's OS is 16-byte one, meaning each character takes twice as much memory (although not twice as slow to process).

That's not an excuse these days, but Noah was created while BlackBerries were not only slow, but also didn't have any external storage whatsoever. And the internal one was flat out incapable of handling files larger than 100kB.

The solution is a total replacement of the indexing mechanism at the time when majority of BlackBerries can afford larger databases...which is about now...except we don't just do that overnight.

As my original post clarified, the focus is on providing maximum convenience to Storm users and not just all users.

if it wasn't for the Storm we'd probably be beta-testing the next major Noah release by now.

TouringMN no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Struggled with

The download was the first obstacle. Support was very responsive and provided different links to get me to the right URLs. Finally after I by-passed our BES blocker, I downloaded the new release for the Storm.
    The functionality was right on. This should be very sweet.

Glad to see that it takes on the features of my Storm for portrait and landscape.

Considerations to offer.
    Some were previously mentioned.
    1. the space between chapters; that is very awkward.
    2. paging between chapters would be awesome.
    3. the search capability is not functioning the way I suspected it might. I have been very used to other products that I used on my PDAs.
    4. When I do a word search, highlighting the 'sought for' word in the verses found would be the expected behavior. That was very disappointing that that did not happen.

I will be playing with it quite a bit more. I do need to get used to the menu options.
    Would like to be able to add some more Bible tools into the mix - Strong's type of features, Bible atlas.
    Love the notes capability - but have not exercised that yet.

Look for more notes from me in the next couple days. I appreciate what I have seen from others as they post their observations.

Support - thanks for your very considerate fast responses.

rnielsen7222 no está en línea Stack level 1

Noah Reader for Blackberry Storm

The "Go to" screen requires quite a bit is scrolling. It is acutally faster to find the text in a paper Bible. Is there a way to make it quicker to navigate / less scrolling?

Also, if you scroll up or down too much, it automatically moves to the next chapter which can be a problem if you are a little anxious reading up in front of the congregation. Maybe you could allow more space at the top and bottom of the chapters before it changes so you are not so likely to scroll too far.

It would be nice if you had up and down arrows that would move one screen at a time as well as back and forward arrows that would move a chapter at a time, and double arrows to move a book at a time. Maybe something like this.

<< < (Down arrow) ^ > >>

rnielsen7222 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I got the same error. Had to uninstall the previous version first.

auburn1975 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Looking very forward to your next release but enjoying what I have til them. Will you send me an email?
    Thanks.

JSB5717 no está en línea Stack level 1

1st Impressions

Just installed it and navigated around a bit. Installation was easy and seamless. Navigation is easy and smooth.

Just personally, I don't like the spaces between verses...too much scrolling. I do like a separation between books and chapters, even though they are artificial, it just helps to keep track of where you are. However, I don't like the large space between chapters that jumps to the next screen and interrupts smooth scrolling. I would rather that it move to a chapter header so it is clear that I am changing chapters. OR come to the end of a chapter and have to click the suggested Forward and Backward buttons to move to the next chapter or book.

Is there a plan to add study helps? Dictionaries? Concordances? Strong's links to Greek/Hebrew definitions directly from the passage?

It's a good start

ElectricPE no está en línea Stack level 1

Suggestions

1. Instead of chapter and verse numbers (ie. 1:1) before every verse, it would be easier to read, and take less space on the screen, to show just the verse number and have the chapter showing in just one place at the top of the screen. This would improve readability significantly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12