Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

As most people on here I am crazy about the storm. The device is amazing. ... BlackBerry Storm forum

puertoricokris no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

Bad news for ATT users who want a Storm

Advertisement

As most people on here I am crazy about the storm. The device is amazing. I got to play with it today at work (best buy) and at BJ's (they have a Verizon booth set up and there is no1 really there so i got to play with it for like 20 mins )

I had posted a thread earlier saying that i had heard from the best buy mobile supervisor and the GM that the exclusivity for the storm was only for 3 months....unfortunately when i asked them again to confirm the rumor they said that they werent sure anymore because they are getting mixed info.

I talked to two verizon reps today for a while and was trying to get some info out of them and I got a lil info.

1. The Storm is to Verizon like the iPhone is to ATT. EXCLUSIVE. Soppossedly ATT or any other carrier will never actually sell the storm.

2. You can unlock the phone and use it with att and other carriers, BUT you will not be able to use 3G. (SUXS)

3. If you unlock the phone, The GPS wont work because verizon has it blocked for verizon navigator. (damn Verizon and blocking all the features) Also im not sure if this was just him trying to get me to swtich to verizon or if its true...so if anyone knows please correct me.

Also right now im on a family plan with att with three phones. 2 of them being blackberries with blackberry plans, 1 just having a regular plan. well when we did the math verizon actually ends up costing you about $20 more per month. plus insurance if u wish to get it.

So for me, instead of paying $220 a month i would end up paying about $260 and right now I am not looking to raise my costs in any way shape or form...

So while im still hoping for the best that in january the storm will become available for att and other carriers, im not getting my hopes up.

I know RIM is going to be launching a bunch of other devices in 2009 (javelin ect ect.) thanks to Karabear's info...and instead of switching over to verizon for the phone of my dreams, im going to take KaraBear's advice and (unfortunatly) wait. lol

I almost cried today when i got to play with the phone and experience its amaizingness and know that I could not get it.

im posting this out of sadness :'(

ALSO, just a side note...if anyone knows the awnser to this please say it cuz it sounded like a lie to me.
    One of the Verizon reps said that Verizon was actually offered the iPhone before ATT and they turned it down because of the fact that they (apple) wouldnt let them (verizon) service the phones or allow insurance for them and that their customers would have to go to an apple store to get their phones fixed.
    Is this true? sounds like a load of bull to me

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    From what I understand Verizon will not have any dual devices until Q2 next year...and even then they will be limited on device choices (think Samsung and Sony Ericson stuff)....SOOOO...I for one would fully believe that the Storm will remain a Verizon exclusive, ONLY because ATT doesnt' want to challenge it's iPhone sales...

And yes, you have to go through Apple to fix your iPhone not ATT...so that's not bull

Also---are you eligable for any discounts? I am paying $0.78 less on Verizon than ATT....LOL...hey, saving change adds up right? LOL
    Last edited by ItsNowOrNever; 11-24-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

PIN/ID
    ask
    I think ATT should think about it differently. they want to make more money (who doesnt) then they shouldnt think of the storm as the "iPhone killer" but as another option they have to offer their customers.

and yeah what i ment by the iphone thing is that Is it true that the iPhone was offered to Verizon before ATT?

PIN/ID
    Dunno about that....but you dont bring in direct competition to selll out of your store..you only face "shifting" not resales.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

PIN/ID
    just like you dont see a BMW dealer selling Lexus or Mercedes...same concept

PIN/ID
    ask
    hmm i dont see how that metaphor really works since both carriers sell blackberries. But i guess ure right. I just hope ATT realizes how much business they are going to lose to verizon. Im thinking about switching myself lol

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by puertoricokris View Post
    and yeah what i ment by the iphone thing is that Is it true that the iPhone was offered to Verizon before ATT?
    Not confirmation, but I've heard from a couple places (no really reliable sources unfortunatly) that Verizon tirned down the Iphone before it was offered to ATT. Its either true or a pervasive rumour.....

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by puertoricokris View Post
    hmm i dont see how that metaphor really works since both carriers sell blackberries. But i guess ure right. I just hope ATT realizes how much business they are going to lose to verizon. Im thinking about switching myself lol

Because we arent talking about one carrier selling the Bold and one selling a Curve....we are comparing the Storm to the iPhone...go back and read your questions. They are competing phones the same way the cars are competing cars.

PIN/ID
    ask
    yeah..maybe it is true. Verizon's internet coverage rapes ATT's...and thats what the iPhone is all about.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Because we arent talking about one carrier selling the Bold and one selling a Curve....we are comparing the Storm to the iPhone...go back and read your questions. They are competing phones the same way the cars are competing cars.
    True. sorry bout that im kinda slow sometimes lol

I guess ill have to wait till the price goes down to buy one at full price and use it on att

PIN/ID
    OK....well, by that time your contract with ATT will be over. LOL...still very very rumored that Verizon will make their phones unlockable with other carriers....which means if that never happens, then no storm from verizon will work on ATT...have you looked at Vodafone Storms? (I think it's Vodafone)...they are a GSM carrier and a few here have gotten them from the UK...dont know if they have sucessfully unlocked them or not though

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    AT&T is NOT going to lose any business to Verizon. First off, GSM carriers will get a "version" of the Storm. Also, the GSM lineup for '09 is absolutely incredible. I can think of 3 GSM devices that are going to blow the doors off the Storm! And theres a touchscreen for GSM that is going to put the Storm to absolute shame. Also, there are 9530's unlocked on AT&T that use Google Maps with no problem.

PIN/ID
    ask
    yeah the vodafone 9500. supposed to work fine with att, minus the 3g, BUT have you looked at how much people are selling them for? over a grand. i cant spend $1,000 for a cell phone...i just cant it doesnt seem logical especially when i know people who are getting it for $200 lol

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Meh, it's hard to take what these guys say as 100% true as in reality only the head honchos from verizon know what's truly going on. Some random employee at a store will probably just be speculating on rumors he heard as well. It makes sense that it'd remain a verizon exclusive, but it'd also make sense to hit other carriers as well. Until somebody 100% flat out confirms from the upper echelon of verizon reps, we just don't know.

MonkeyBizIU no está en línea Themes Pro
    Two things:
    1) It was established that Verizon gets the Storm exclusively as long as it meets it's sales targets. Now, given the iPhone like frenzy we've seen in the last few days, I have no doubt that they have and will continue to do so. Even my 53 year old mother wants one. Consequently, the Storm will most likely not be going to any US Domestic carrier. AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are all S.O.L.

2) The iPhone was first offered to Verizon. However, Verizon wasn't interested in putting up with Apple's nonsense and huge take of the profits. AT&T was. Hence, the AT&T iPhone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast