Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

The challenge that T-Mobile faces when it comes to the new BlackBerrys with 3G is ... BlackBerry Storm forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

The challenge that T-Mobile faces when it comes to the new BlackBerrys with 3G is that T-Mo uses the non standard 1700MHz band. No other GSM carrier uses this. Thus 3G phone that T-Mobile offers, has to have the radio setup just for them. Thus they are going to be last on the list. Best bet, switch to another carrier, as T-Mobiles phone selection is not going to be getting better anytime soon.

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    You have a valid point, Archer. Only problem is that AT&T are pricey. They'll sell the phones pretty reasonable but then the voice & data plans are at times absurd. Especially for a T-Mobile customer who sees customer friendly voice & data plans.Its a tough decision in these economic times.
    ~via DaXBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Well why would storm come to att while they hate it coz they got the iphone? oh and also wasn't cingular (Att) the carrier that had blackberries from the begining? why would they hate it now? lol its just funny

Last edited by mac14x; 11-12-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Quote Originally Posted by DaX05 View Post
    You have a valid point, Archer. Only problem is that AT&T are pricey. They'll sell the phones pretty reasonable but then the voice & data plans are at times absurd. Especially for a T-Mobile customer who sees customer friendly voice & data plans.Its a tough decision in these economic times.
    Yes I certainly agree with you. However there is a workaround for alert shoppers. I'm an AT&T and T-Mobile customer. If one watches carefully, from time to time AT&T runs special promos, where new customers get great rates. For existing customers such as myself, if we call 611 via our phone and ask for a matching rate, be pleasant, be persistent often they will say yes. If you get a no, ask nicely to have the call escalated to a supervisor (who has more authority) and you will likely get the good rate. I've done this three times over about a 5 year period.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    Well why would storm come to att while they hate it coz they got the iphone? oh and also wasn't cingular (Att) the carrier that had blackberries from the begining? why would they hate it now?
    I believe the key here is that AT&T wants as many phones as possible. Remember to them it's just inventory. The more phones they have to offer, the more phones they are going to sell. It's the customers choice as to what they want. The customers all have different reasons for liking the phone they do, thus not everyone thinks the iPhone is the best, nor do they want one. Loyal BlackBerry buyers are more likely to buy the Storm, and mainstream buyers also have there own criterion for any phone they buy. Thus it's simply good to have as many phones to choose from as possible.

Cheers...

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    That's a real good idea, Archer. On my spare time I'm going to be calling customer service from time to time. Sometimes you're also eligible for promotions (Ex: $4.99/month for unlimited text instead of the normal $14.99)
    I've heard people call customer service and ask if there's any promotions & that was one they received. I wasn't as lucky. But it doesn't hurt to call from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaX05 View Post
    That's a real good idea, Archer. On my spare time I'm going to be calling customer service from time to time. Sometimes you're also eligible for promotions (Ex: $4.99/month for unlimited text instead of the normal $14.99)
    I've heard people call customer service and ask if there's any promotions & that was one they received. I wasn't as lucky. But it doesn't hurt to call from time to time.
    A lot of people like to bash AT&T, however I have been with AT&T for several years and enjoyed great service. An example is about 3 months ago, I was overcharged by $108.00 on my bill. I called in, was courteous and simply called the error to their attention. They reviewed my account quickly, noticed the error and immediately removed it. In addition, they gave me $100 credit against my next bill. They thanked me for my courtesy and business. I was very surprised and happy at the great service I received. Often times I think that perhaps people calling in forget to be courteous, and they act upset because a simple error was made. The way I look at it, is we all make mistakes, why not be nice to them as they get yelled at enough by the irate customers. It certainly paid off for me.

Cheers...

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    A lot of people like to bash AT&T, however I have been with AT&T for several years and enjoyed great service. An example is about 3 months ago, I was overcharged by $108.00 on my bill. I called in, was courteous and simply called the error to their attention. They reviewed my account quickly, noticed the error and immediately removed it. In addition, they gave me $100 credit against my next bill. They thanked me for my courtesy and business. I was very surprised and happy at the great service I received. Often times I think that perhaps people calling in forget to be courteous, and they act upset because a simple error was made. The way I look at it, is we all make mistakes, why not be nice to them as they get yelled at enough by the irate customers. It certainly paid off for me.

Cheers...
    Thats exactly the way i act with ANY customer service reps not matter what company im calling.
    They often thank me for being so polite and understanding - especially since more than often people yell at them for somebody else's mistakes.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I'll second Archer's motion on being kind and understanding with them. They have a job to do and I'm sure it's a pretty thankless job at times.

ATT has given me exceptional service over the last 5 years I've been with them and I really cannot complain. In the end, they aren't that much more expensive than T-Mo. They also don't offer a 1400 minute plan for families which is what I have under ATT.

I think if I were to switch to T-Mo, it would actually be about $15 cheaper (I get an ATT discount through my employer). However, I get devices much cheaper through my Premier ATT account (again, through my employer) so that's a huge consideration for me too.

Overall, I've been very happy with ATT. Great phones, decent rate plans and exceptional coverage in my experience. To be fair, ATT is the only carrier who has coverage at my house so I'd be forced to use them regardless of their plans...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

Cheers...
    Archer has some very solid and useful points here. No company is going to be perfect, and no one company is going to get all the new goodies. Ive been with AT&T, and before that Cingular for about 5 years and I have never had a billing or service issue, which is more than I can say about my previuos carrier Alltel.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    I'll second Archer's motion on being kind and understanding with them. They have a job to do and I'm sure it's a pretty thankless job at times.

ATT has given me exceptional service over the last 5 years I've been with them and I really cannot complain. In the end, they aren't that much more expensive than T-Mo.
    Regarding the cost differences between T-Mo and AT&T, now that T-Mobile has raised their rates they are actually a tad higher than AT&T.

I just checked the rates and when comparing family plan rates the closest comparison is the 1000 min for T-Mo vs 1400 min for AT&T. When you do the math and calculate the per minute cost so as to have a fair comparison T-Mo is 7.0 cents vs. 6.4 cents per minute for AT&T, also if you compare their prices on the 83xx Curve models, AT&T is $20 less than T-Mo. So one can see that currently the lower price both in air time and handset cost is AT&T.

WorldOfJohnboy no está en línea Stack level 1
    OK, I have the Bold with AT&T through my business account. (I prefer the hardware keyboard as opposed to the heat sensing touch KB on the Storm, but that's just my preference.)
    Many others at my job have Verzion BB's. I also do all of the Computer (IT) purchasing for my company and as such, have been in contact with both Verizon and AT&T account executives.

I talked at length with my AT&T rep and here's the lowdown:

-iPhones are for consumers only, business accounts typically cannot get them added as it requires a special contract to be signed and (in my case) my State disagrees with some wording in Apple's iPhone contract. So, it looks like for the time being, there is no way I can get an iPhone under our business account.

-Blackberry Storms and iPhones are VERY different, not only in technology, but in services. The Storm is heat sensative and the iPhone is pressure sensative (I think)... not only that, iPhone requires your Exchange/Email admin to setup a special service so that the iPhones can talk to your email service. The Blackberries typically have an Enterprise server (my company has one with about 200 CALs on it) and services many phones, so it's more centrally administered.

-The iPhone requires a special monthly data plan and the BB require a different monthly plan. (Not sure what the cost difference is)

-I asked if AT&T was going to get a Storm version or not... here is a direct quote from the Exec:
    "We will eventually have the Storm in the enterprise edition. Right now their Storm will not work with BES."

So basically, the iPhone shouldn't be considered a competitor with the Storm... one is going to be considered primarily a consumer phone, and the other will be considered primarily an Enterprise phone. I believe that Verizon has an exclusive window to sell the Storm and eventually RIM will open it up to AT&T. (If you remember, AT&T had the 8310 Curve for a long time before Verizon released a version of the Curve... I'm guessing that AT&T had an exclusive window for the Curve.)

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by WorldOfJohnboy; 12-05-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typos found and corrected.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Great information. I really can't argue with those points from an Enterprise standpoint. I know that many of us can't understand the full corporate end of things and this gives some interesting insight into the process.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    i have read more and more threads and posts about the storm hitting AT&T ....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! im waiting on it....i have a couple of friends that have the storm for VZW and its ok...AT&T to me is a beter company, at least in my area, so i'l just wait....biting my nails until its arrival.lol

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    This is a quote from Crucial over at CB: "Considering that AT&T should have it's 7.2Mbps HSPA Network upgrade finished fairly soon, the 9520 will be flying on AT&T. And much faster than any CDMA carrier"

Pure awesomeness.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast