Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm eligible for new customer pricing phone with 2yr extension on 1/2/09. I've been using ... BlackBerry Storm forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Advice: Deciding between Storm and Curve

Advertisement

I'm eligible for new customer pricing phone with 2yr extension on 1/2/09. I've been using the Pearl for a year, after starting with the 8703e. I've played with the Storm in the store (finally found one that wasn't banded so you could actually test it out)...regretfully Verizon was having the problem with the internet/service books so web didn't work.

I'm primarily a business user (e-mails, etc), but found that the SurePress wasn't too hard, other than I need to wait for the screen to return to original state (I was trying to type with both thumbs). I would love some feedback on if the "PROS" of the Storm outweigh the outdated Curve. Here is my current pros/cons for the two devices. I would appreciate if you can help me make the decision (whether it's because my pros/cons are wrong, or if I missed something)

Some background: connected to BES, carry a 80GB iPod for music/video, use my cell phone as my primary phone for work (talk anywhere from 120-180 minutes a day), 200+ emails a day, typical texting, and when I can - browse a variety of sites (mostly ones that are "mobile friendly" or designed for blackberry emulation...ESPN Mobile, USA Today mobile, Pinstack, etc.)

I've carried two batteries for the Pearl and hate having to swap batteries during the day. I'm on a plane every week making connections and need to read/respond to e-mails quickly. I also do not have a wireless card for my PC, and would love to have tethering (if RevA), but haven't since the Pearl is not RevA.

PROS to Storm: RevA, html browser (may eliminate the need to even tether to PC if I can access Salesforce.com, and other websites without problem on the device), latest device BB has come out with, no trackball to get dirty and clean, faster, more memory (store more emails, etc)

CONS to Storm: not as fast to type on, still issues with OS, camera is RIDICULOUSLY slow (or is it just me?), no extended battery (2100 mAh or larger)...yet

PROS to Curve: by far the proven leader for business user, Seidio has 2600 mAh battery and cover available (would be my first accessory purchase), basically it's the 'ole reliable'

CONS for Curve: not RevA, older device/OS, Camera isn't that good (if it's anything like the quality of the Pearl, then I assume this to be correct)

Thanks for your feedback Storm-Users (and hopefully ones that had or have gone back to a Curve)

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    I'm going to Verizon to get my storm tommorow hopefully and I think you should go storm too cause well the curve is nice but since you had the pearl, what I have right now btw, your typing would be even slower than on the storm cause you wouldn't be used to curves qwerty but storm has the SureType that is a lot better than pearls suretype cause you can put what words you want to go more often besides you will be learning both types at a time SureType and qwerty. Preparing you for any type of blackberries in the future also the phones os will get fixed in the very near future Wich will fix the camera issue and they are making extended battery as from what I heard but untill then carrying 2 batteries shouldn't be a problem cause the hard pulls are a lot faster than previous balckberries and keep getting fater on every update besides how will you show of to your buddies with an old curve? well my opinion but its up to you and you should listen to other posts that will be in this thread later...

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    rev a doesnt mean jack unless you tether to a computer
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You will bite your tongue if you go with the Curve.
    Extremely reliable device dont take me wrong. But the Storm keeps getting better and better ...

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B
    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    rev a doesnt mean jack unless you tether to a computer
    Great point - as I only planned to add tether option to my plan if I went with Storm. I believe though that I read that the Storm browsing experience was fast, and I may not need to tether since Storm supports full html. I would post a separate thread to ask this, but just in case....

Does anyone who has a Storm access salesforce.com? I know they have a blackberry application, but my company does not support that application yet (i.e. internal IT and salesforce administrators are not going to take the time to setup mobile profiles that the application requires I believe)

Thanks again for the feedback.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksrussian View Post
    ...but storm has the SureType that is a lot better than pearls suretype...
    I do agree that Storm gives me the choices to use SureType/Press or the qwerty which is nice, it's merely a matter of getting used to actually depressing the screen to the point of "click" However, I would disagree that it's "better than pearl's suretype". Fact is that it's something anyone simply has to get used to.

But you are correct that the Curve simply doesn't have any street appeal with the colleagues and friends....on second thought, that also means I'll be asked often while in airports, "so how do you like your Storm?"...leading me to never get around to sending any of the emails I need to....(LOL)

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Try the storm out for a bit and return it if you don't like it. It's nice.... but if you send that much email.... a keyboard would be easier/faster. But different people have different needs... I personally wish Verizon had the Bold already.
    "Who Dares Wins"

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I normally tell users to try out the 2 devices they are considering. However, for this case, I would go for the Curve just based on your needs. Sounds like you need the reliable keyboard on the Curve (200+ emails a day to me would be really difficult on a touch screen. I've used touch screens before).

The Curve may be the older of the 2, but I think you might be happier with it. You have a remorse period if you change your mind.

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1
    Actually, I'd like to interject that I type almost as fast on my Storm (in qwerty mode) as I did on my Curve. Granted the is a much greater learning curve on the Storm's "clickable" touch screen but within a few days you'll be flying on it.
    Yet, your needs that you listed in your background scream for a physical keyboard.
    Actually, the fact that your almost finished with your contract you'd be crazy not to get the Bold. (200+ emails) Plus, I can only imagine how much time you spend pressing the phone in between your cheek and shoulder in those 3 hrs of talking throughout your day. It's tricky with a touchscreen. (though they've got an app now that locks the screen in call)
    :)

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I cannot imagine anything more appropriate for you than. Curve 8900.

The Storm will simply not work for you. That said, remember the only way to know is to try one yourself.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would wait before you decide. Give the storm some time to evolve imho ;-)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    Minus the keyboard the 9530 is more business friendly. Larger screen for on the go showcasing of your work, better browsing experience, less strain on the eyes when typing, viewing documents. Plus when you have down time, the entertainment value is better. Keep in mind the only thing the curve has over the storm is a physical keyboard. I don't miss it one bit.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Yeah if you type a lot doesn't mean you'll type slow on storm its just a learning curve but hey your coming from a pearl there's still gonna be a learning curve no matter what in my opinion you either wait for the 8900 curve or get the storm...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Safiy View Post
    Minus the keyboard the 9530 is more business friendly. Larger screen for on the go showcasing of your work, better browsing experience, less strain on the eyes when typing, viewing documents. Plus when you have down time, the entertainment value is better. Keep in mind the only thing the curve has over the storm is a physical keyboard. I don't miss it one bit.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Kudo's, you have brought up some great points in favor of the Storm. At the end of the day, when given fair consideration, your argument in favor of the Storm is very compelling.

~via BoldBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    Thanks. I own a graphics company and it was a pleasure to see this device. Its great for showing artwork on the go. Slideshows too. This even makes short displays of video practical. While it wouldn't be my first choice, I feel confident showing my work to potential and current clients right from the BB. via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast