Verizon 9530 Storm: Will the GPS work when completely outside of any kind of service, ... BlackBerry Storm forum

usmcstang no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32aac660

2 Quick GPS Questions

Advertisement

Verizon 9530 Storm:

Will the GPS work when completely outside of any kind of service, say, on top of a mountain in the middle of a US federal wilderness area (Dolly Sods, WV)?

Any good, and free, GPS apps that will tell me the signal strength of the various satellites I have connected? (I know BBMaps gives you a number of satellites, but not the sat numbers or signal strength)

In a nutshell, I want to be able to use my Storm as a basic backpacking GPS, and have the Geotag feature work on photos I take when it's actually valuable to tag them, say, when I'm in the wilderness on a 20 mile hike. Any hopes of having my Storm substitute as a "poor mans" Garmin Oregon 550t?

(Posted this in the GPS section a few weeks ago...no responses)

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    For your second question: I don't know of any applications that give you satellite numbers or signal strength, as the location based services API doesn't provide that sort of detail. You might want to see if the GPS engineering screens have that info -- if they don't, it's probably not data that you can get access to on the device.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Have you looked at blackberry geocachers they have a app called blackstar. I don't know if it will have what you want. But its worth a look. I don't know the exact link but I googled blackberry geocaching and its the first one. If you try it out let us all know if you like it
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    32aac660
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    For your second question: I don't know of any applications that give you satellite numbers or signal strength, as the location based services API doesn't provide that sort of detail. You might want to see if the GPS engineering screens have that info -- if they don't, it's probably not data that you can get access to on the device.
    You're correct...I can access the coordinate information, but no luck on sat numbers or individual signal strengths for each satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
    Have you looked at blackberry geocachers they have a app called blackstar. I don't know if it will have what you want. But its worth a look. I don't know the exact link but I googled blackberry geocaching and its the first one. If you try it out let us all know if you like it
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    I'm using blackstar already, and it seems to work "offline", however, the app, while great for geocaching, isn't so great for backpacking. I've noticed, and I don't know if others have a similar issue, that my altitude is always a negative number and/or wrong, even with a good lock (for instance, I'm at 302 feet right now according to my bb...the lowest point in the state of Ohio is 800+ feet ASL).

So, I guess, what I'm looking to do is find either a more robust app that works offline, or somehow via the EScreen to "trick" the GPS antenna into believing it has service. In the "GPS Options" EScreen, under "Radio Engineering>>GPS" there are 4 different "Session" settings: Latest, New Position (was default), Tracking-Ind fixes, & Data DLoad. Under "Operation Mode", there are seven settings: Standalone, MS Based (was default), Network Only, Speed Optimal, Accuracy Optimal, Data Optimal, and Postion Ref.

I've left Session set to New Position, but changed Operation mode to "Standalone". I'm still getting a GPS lock, but only when the Wireless Radio is turned on. So I need to find a setting that allows me to turn the radio/ bluetooth off, and still use the GPS antenna (to save battery life) or, if that is not possible, I need to determine what method of operation will allow me to use the GPS when 50 miles from the nearest service area. Unfortunately, I can't test the second option right now, because 3G service is pretty prevalent in northeast ohio...it'll have to wait until I go south. I'm not anxious to spend $80+ on the Trimble Outdoors app when I'm not even sure if it will work when I need it the most...when I'm not anywhere near a service area.

What would be nice is some sort of data on what each of the various settings/ screens actually translates to in English. I'm sure theres a developers guide out there somewhere, but it's either pricey or super extra top-secret, or both.

Thus far, I can verify that Blackstar works out of a service area, but with the radio on. However, it will not allow me to save waypoints, tracks, or get proper altitude info. Sanoodi, GMaps, BBMaps, Weatherbug, etc all seem to REQUIRE data service to get a GPS lock, as if they won't function without a tower to aide in locking onto GPS...faults in the apps, no doubt.

Ultimatley, if someone has purchased the Trimble app, and can verify that it works out of a service area (maps are saved to the memory card, so I don't see a need for data service from a logic standpoint), this may all be a moot point.

TL;DR: What the heck to all the EScreen GPS settings mean? Does Trimble Outdoors work outside of cell service?

BB_KC_Boy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2079E897
    Run Blackberry Maps and it should have a dash board telling the number of sats... also Garmin mobile telmap and telnav will tell you as well..

But my Blackberry Maps will tell me all the time.
    T- Mobile G1 using Cyanogen Build 4.1.11.1 Android 1.6 On T-Mobile Network
    Running a Hero Based Theme

I AM A PC AND LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

PIN/ID
    32aac660
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_KC_Boy View Post
    Run Blackberry Maps and it should have a dash board telling the number of sats... also Garmin mobile telmap and telnav will tell you as well..

But my Blackberry Maps will tell me all the time.
    Already noted on BBMaps...what I was looking for was a readout of each individual satellite I have locked or negotiating, its sat number, and the signal strentgh for each...similar to this:

I've found an app called "MGMaps" that looks as if it may work offline, with fully detailed maps stored on the memory card. It's free too. If this app does what I need it to do, I will be a happy camper in the literal sense.