I wanted the storm for some time and I am well aware of new devices/software ... BlackBerry Storm forum

slider8300 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

1st impression of the Storm from a curve user

Advertisement

I wanted the storm for some time and I am well aware of new devices/software in that there will be issues. I also know that RIM is a great company and have in the past released updates to address all issues. With all that said I walked into the verizon store and Kathy handed me my Storm phone and told me that there were only 5 in the store so lets get started transferring the account from AT&T to Verizon. I asked her for a few minutes to look at a few issues that I read about for 3 months. Long story short for 45 minutes I tried talking myself into getting this phone. I loved the large screen for watching movies and the browser, it was nice to see a large internet screen for a change. The speed of the OS was slow but knew it would get better with updates along with fine tuning other areas. Then I tied to add a appointment which is something I do all day in my postion and couldn't believe how long it took to added name ,date,time etc. It was like pulling teeth. Also making a phone call without hotkeys was painfully slow. The other reason for not walking out with one is the device (all touchscreen) require two hands at times to do simple tasks. After almost coming to tears it was then that I now know rim just applied the OS trackball/phyical keyboard to a touch screen device and it will not work for any past blackberry user who are now use to the brilliant well thought out short cut and one handed operations of past devices.

I do think 3rd party software will address all issues but just think how much better a simple popup screen with month and another for days,time,am/pm would of made this device closer in speed to past devices. Anyways just my 2 cents........

taeisme no está en línea Stack level 4
    IMHO, playing with a phone ƒřr 45 minutes doesn't really give you a real idea oƒ how the device really works. I had a Curve and it's does require a 'learning period' to adjust to how the Storm ƒeels in your hand ƒřr typing, scrolling, dialing, etc. I now type ƒaster on my Storm than I ever have on any BB that I have had. Also, I don't have any oƒ the suggested tricks (cards, screw loosening, etc). I am runnin au natural and have no issues whatsoever. I recommend the Storm but only iƒ you are able to tolerate a period oƒ adjustment,

PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

adjustment

I agree with you but owning a windows mobile device for 6 years then grabbing a BB i was kicking myself for not getting one sooner but unless they make a OS for a touchscreen only I don't see how they could make it as fast as the curve. Typing wasn't a problem and to tell you the truth I thought that was awesome but I believed I was spoiled with the ease of use fro the curve.. Trust me I wanted it so did my wife who sat with me for the 45 minutes.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by slider8300 View Post
    but unless they make a OS for a touchscreen only
    it is touchscreen only....i don't understand your comment. they took the best BB os and morphed it to a touchscreen. why reinvent a steering wheel when making a new car?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

BB os for touchscreen

All I am saying is the great BB OS doesn't work very well for entering appointments by using arrow up and arrow down for month,day,hours,sec,am/pm you must admit that. I do agree with using the best OS for any smart phone. But some changes need to be made and I believe will be made on the next device. Sometimes change is good...

PIN/ID
    wut?
    All I am saying is the great BB OS doesn't work very well for entering appointments by using arrow up and arrow down for month,day,hours,sec,am/pm you must admit that.
    sorry but i think it works great. you were swiping your finger up and down and not clicking ...right?

PIN/ID
    3058d9fc
    Didn't click but did tap and still think a few changes would speed up this. I can enter an appointment in under 15 seconds changing month,day,time and location. Again this is what I need for my business all day long and most of the time with one hand. I haven't bought the BOLD yet because I still have strong feeling for the storm.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    you might need to test drive one for a week or so and if you don't like it ,take it back.

just for fun i just entered a new appointment ...new start time, new end time and it took me about 30 seconds but i'm kinda slow anyway. but it is very easy.

PIN/ID
    3058d9fc
    Problem is I have AT&T and would need to switch back to verizon. Switch for the curve when it first came out. I have a friend who just purchased one so I think I am going to sit down with it again. By the way what build are you using, I believe the current one is .85 not from verizon but floating around out there

PIN/ID
    wut?
    by the way what build are you using, i believe the current one is .85 not from verizon but floating around out there

SeanS1973 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31a3b369
    I also went from the curve 8330 to the storm and felt the same pain as slider. I kept the storm for about 21 days before returning, so I feel that was a good amount of time to test drive it. My day to day tasks I could do on the curve in a matter of seconds took me much longer on the storm. The fact I had to go through more steps to do the same task didnt make sense to me. I really missed just typing a few letters from the home home screen to call somebody from my address book. Appts took longer to put in like slider said. The main reason I took it back was almost every other incoming call, the storm would freeze up on me, (I know this will be fixed with updates) but I run a business and can't afford lost calls.
    I do miss the visual voice mail...that is a kick butt app!!
    I can admit the storm sure is a sexy phone and is gonna be great in a few months after some updates, but until then I'm sticking with my curve.

I know it will prob never happen, but I wish they would make a touch screen BB that also has a physical keyboard that flip or slides out, something like the voyager or sidekick. That would be the best of both worlds.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    I have a Curve 8330 , move to a Bold , now a Storm. My first impression of the Storm was ... wow.. beautiful screen.. and it was exciting, only had updated to the latest beta os (.85 at the time of this post) and is working quite beautifully.

People judge the Storm to harshly, Yes Curve and Storm may seem better right now, but take in to account how long they have had to be tweaked and mature

Storm is what... going on 2months old? if that? allow it another few months
    Lets all remember Bolds got bashed when they came out. now lots of people and magz clame #1

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Great point xaroc. Lots of people compare the Bold to the Storm. But they compare TODAY'S bold to TODAY'S Storm.
    Lets compare LAUNCH BOLD TO LAUNCH STORM
    Theyre the SAME lol ! So if anything it gives great hopes for the Storm which is again, getting better and better after every upgrade.