Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so apparently, i go over the 5gb limit every month with my blackberry ( i ... BlackBerry Bold forum

poloflyer no está en línea Stack level 1

Question WTF? 5GB cap with T-Mobile?

Advertisement

so apparently, i go over the 5gb limit every month with my blackberry ( i have the unlimited data plan with tmobile). I talked with the blackberry/PDA support line within customer care ( which are now tier 3 reps) and they told me if you go over the "limit", your internet gets dropped to 50 kb/s or less ( i was at 11.2) and employees get 80 kb/s or less.

the reason i go over the limit is because im either streaming, downloading games, or playing online ( all while being tethered). i average 264.7 kb/s while being tethered and my gf's phone ( htc with tmobile gets 374 kb/s).

SO MY QUESTION IS: HOW DOES ONE BEAT OR TRICK THE "SYSTEM" ON THE 5 GB CAP/ THROTTLE BACK.

I already know why tmobile caps its after 5gbs so i dont need anyone else to explain to me. and stupid comments like "that sucks man" doesn't help me or anybody else. thank you in advance for your help and insight. -Mike

Do what I do - Bypass Tmo altogether by using Wi-Fi over your home network (or your neighbor's unsecured network hahahaha). I don't even have a data plan, but run like a crazy person all over the internet on my turbo 9700 - games, youtube, instant messaging, fb, it's all out there.

adperdue no está en línea Stack level 2
    Let me get this straight, you signed the contract, which you were supposed to have read, then you tether to your puter and suck up data like mad. Then you gripe when your carrier does what it warned you it would do if you go over 5 gigs. Man, gotta love the me generation.

tclaremont no está en línea Stack level 2
    One way to beat it is to use less than 5 GB. That way the charges that they warned you about when you signed the contract will not come into play.

Or, as has been suggested, use WiFi as much as possible. I have mine set to use WiFi FIRST, and only use the my bandwidth when nothing else is available. You might be suprised by how often an unsecured network is within reach.

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    So... the 5gb limit is only for counted for non-wifi data access? They don't count gigs when we pull data using wifi? They count the voice minutes when we use wifi. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by miltw3 View Post
    So... the 5gb limit is only for counted for non-wifi data access? They don't count gigs when we pull data using wifi? They count the voice minutes when we use wifi. Right?
    Yes, they count the voice minutes (uma). The 5gb is only applicable to the data plan (if you have one), therefore whatever you do on a wi-fi network that is not owned by tmobile doesn't count. And why would it, anyway? 1. You own the phone. 2. The network you connect to has nothing to do with Tmobile. It's none of Tmobile's beeswax if you use YOUR device to wi-fi in to the 'net while you're sitting at a coffee shop or in a hotel somewhere. Set your phone to "Mobile Network Only" then wi-fi to your heart's content. You can even do it without the SIM installed!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I use wifi 99% of the time. When I had my BB I had it set to wifi preferred. I Love Wifi. I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't have wifi. And, wifi is faster than 3G.

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E
    [lol] <- This is me giggling inside. (You see, the OP told us to only make posts that would help him out so I have to giggle inside instead.)

Sorry poloflyer, you are SOL. Tethering is not for your primary internet use, it's a good strong backup when all the other options are unavailable. There is no way to cheat the system, the bandwidth monitoring is done inside the Tmo network. They measure what you use, on their network.

@miltw As for the Wifi voice use. I verified this with Tmo last week. Wifi voice still uses minutes, Wifi data uses nothing from Tmo.
    Last edited by Kortanis; 08-25-2010 at 08:35 PM.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Telling the OP to use wifi is the only help I can think of. We get wifi through our wifi router at home.
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 08-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E
    Well that seems to be the problem. It looks like he is using her mobile device as their primary source of internet service meaning he has a lack of available Wifi to use in the first place.
    Last edited by Kortanis; 08-26-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
    Well that seems to be the problem. It looks like he is using her mobile device as their primary source of internet service meaning he has a lack of available Wifi to use in the first place.
    That's possible, if the OP lives out in the sticks - But it's more likely that they simply either don't know how to use Wi-Fi on their device, or they don't know that if they use Wi-Fi it doesn't count against Tmo. In West Texas, I have not yet found a spot in my city where at least two or three unsecured networks are available, whether they be commercial or a home network where the user has not secured his router.Tmobile's marketing strategy won't allow them to tell you this, however. You'd be surprised how many Stackers believe that you cannot buy a BlackBerry from Tmo without buying a data plan!

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    I was told something like 6 months or so give or take a month or two; if u want to activate a bb on tmo that it automatically adds the data plan, did this change recently?, not that i care cuz im grandfathered into the 20$ real unlimited plan, but im just saying.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by adperdue View Post
    Let me get this straight, you signed the contract, which you were supposed to have read, then you tether to your puter and suck up data like mad. Then you gripe when your carrier does what it warned you it would do if you go over 5 gigs. Man, gotta love the me generation.
    and you, are you telling me you read your entire contract before you left the store? because i seriously find that hard to believe. Its 20 friggin pages. the BB TOS device Terms and conditions which is 14 pages, and that doesnt include the software terms and conditions for using app world and all the other mainstream apps on the smart phone you probably use like hmmm idk Google. btw i have links to all the above just in case u dont want to be a hypocrite. We all skip them because we dont wanna spend the entire day reading contracts. I dont suck up bandwidth but im still shocked to learn this
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Remy, if you buy service with the unit through either renewing your contract or beginning new contract service the dealers are required to add the data plan on. It was put in place to eliminate two problems. First is that it increases the ARPU (average rate per unit) which impacts their bottom line. The second one was to cut down on customer returns and complaints. People were saying they bought a phone and it didn't do everything it was advertised to do. Those same customers were the ones who said they didn't "need" a data plan.

Now if you go and buy a unit with no service involved (full price) then you will not have to add the internet (with a few exceptions such as the HTC and Motorola Android devices) to make use of them or purchase them.

The only exceptions that I know of are the BB Curves (8520 and possibly the new 3G unit). I have spoken to many customers who bought them through customer care without the data plan but were told by customer care that the 9700 would require it.

As for the original OP, wifi is your only out as has been mentioned (wanted to stay on topic. )

Zo

I got my 9700 on April 10th online, $129 with a two-year contract, which is 6 months ago next week - and they haven't bothered me about a data plan or attempted to add one at all. I tried to get it at the Tmo storefront, and they told me a data plan was required. But when I went to the T-Mobile website, it was not. And with Wi-Fi I haven't needed it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast