I've had my Bold 9700 about 3 months now and have noticed a couple of ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ablefton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a0f56c

Question Would appreciate some feedback on 9700 performance issues

Advertisement

I've had my Bold 9700 about 3 months now and have noticed a couple of performance anomalies. If anyone else has experienced the same, I'd appreciate knowing. OS being used is: v5.0.0.405; carrier is AT&T (sad to say)

1. Why does the 9700 take so long to reboot? I have probably an average load of applications, a little over what comes with the unit; but when I have to reboot, it can sometimes take upwards of 5 minutes. My iPhone boots, is far less time, with far more apps.

2. I've noticed a screen refresh problem in the email queue. Sometimes there are no emails showing, when I know they are there. It requires a reboot to see the queue. At other times I see a partial email queue, and scrolling up and down is needed to refresh the screen.

3. I seem to get a lot of hourglass activity even though I'm running 3G and/or WiFi. Along with the hourglass I get quite a bit of application freezing and need to reboot. Could be bad app code, but these appear to be well known, proven applications from AppWorld.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    -------------------------------
    Andrew (Gaithersburg, MD)

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ablefton View Post
    I've had my Bold 9700 about 3 months now and have noticed a couple of performance anomalies. If anyone else has experienced the same, I'd appreciate knowing. OS being used is: v5.0.0.405; carrier is AT&T (sad to say)

1. Why does the 9700 take so long to reboot? I have probably an average load of applications, a little over what comes with the unit; but when I have to reboot, it can sometimes take upwards of 5 minutes. My iPhone boots, is far less time, with far more apps.
    Stop comparing a Blackberry to an iPhone... 5 minutes is what it usually takes... it's a Blackberry, not a different phone.

2. I've noticed a screen refresh problem in the email queue. Sometimes there are no emails showing, when I know they are there. It requires a reboot to see the queue. At other times I see a partial email queue, and scrolling up and down is needed to refresh the screen.
    Use the letter "U"... it should bring up your Unread emails.

3. I seem to get a lot of hourglass activity even though I'm running 3G and/or WiFi. Along with the hourglass I get quite a bit of application freezing and need to reboot. Could be bad app code, but these appear to be well known, proven applications from AppWorld.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Could be your not closing all your apps when you finish using them, so they are still downloading information or taking up processor clock time... you should use the Menu > Close or Exit options when leaving every app... you can check if you closed all apps by holding down the Menu key for a couple seconds... this brings up the App Switcher... scroll left and right... the apps you can not close are: Phone, Home, Messenger, Message and your Browser... and possible Visual Voice Mail if you have that... all others are because you are not closing them properly.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    What you report, and especially the screen refresh, can be attributed to a damagíng theme you might have installed. Try the standard theme for a while and see if that helps.
    Reboot time can be 3 to 5 Minutes.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    BlackBerrys have always had really slow reboot times. You'd think it would be something RIM would have addressed with newer devices and OS's.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yes, a reboot can take up to 5 mins. I agree with fatboy, you might still have apps that are not closed properly. This can use a lot of processor. delfim is right on the money, it sounds like a theme that is causing a refresh issue, as well as the email queue. Try a different theme, and make sure it's for the 9700. As for the iPhone, the processor for the 9700 is actually faster than the processor used in it.