ok so my 2yr old DYNEX wireless G router finally took a nose dive, and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Wireless N compatability

Advertisement

ok so my 2yr old DYNEX wireless G router finally took a nose dive, and i decided to go for the next "step up" and do wireless N with a Belkin N300 router...i had no problem connecting, it was fairly easy but I'm noticing when streaming music the app tends to stop every so often and just now I was on the phone with someone while also researching on my wireless netbook and as i tried to surf the web to get on this site it would lag in loading the page but also my call began to break up (they were on a land line)... i stopped the page from running and the call became clear again. I did not have these problems with my wireless G router so I'm wondering if these "old" blackberries (Bold 9700) are fully compatible with wireless N or is it just the brand of my router?....any type of insight would help as i have only had this new router for 2 weeks so i can still return it.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Not sure, I have a wireless router with qwest and I don't have any issues, no matter what's going on around but then it always depends on the signal, locations and all that jazz hope things smooth out for you

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Most wireless N routers are not just N but normally have G/b/a capability as well since many devices are not N compatible yet. I thought the new Blackberries 97**, 98** etc did have N capability but I am not 100% sure, I will check up and see what I can find out. But id your router has only N capability I would go back and change it for one that is multi, since not all laptops are N capable, if you were wanting to network other computers/printers etc in later it may be necessary to have at least G capability.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    My suggestion is take the Belkin back! Buy a Netgear (N300 or N600)

If you current Router has Dual Band you can set it up so the wireless N networks does not get mixed with the B/G/A. Basically when your device searches for a network you would see two SSIDs coming from your router. For Example at my house my wireless B/G/A network has the SSID of "Quiksilver" while my Wireless N network shows up as "Easton". With this setup you can have multiple devices running on wireless without any delay or lag. Both of the suggested routers have Gigabite Lan ports so you will get the full potential of your internet connecting instead of having a bottle neck at the router.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    My suggestion is take the Belkin back! Buy a Netgear (N300 or N600)

If you current Router has Dual Band you can set it up so the wireless N networks does not get mixed with the B/G/A. Basically when your device searches for a network you would see two SSIDs coming from your router. For Example at my house my wireless B/G/A network has the SSID of "Quiksilver" while my Wireless N network shows up as "Easton". With this setup you can have multiple devices running on wireless without any delay or lag. Both of the suggested routers have Gigabite Lan ports so you will get the full potential of your internet connecting instead of having a bottle neck at the router.
    Hmm, well I read mixed reviews on netgear routers (the wireless N ones anyway)... and for the money belkin had the best reviews. and talk about easy setup, I just plugged it in and it was good to go. I was impressed cause I'm running Linux on my pc...anyhow, you mentioned lag which i noticed mine does in terms of keyboard input on the pc. Disconnecting my xbox from the router makes it run smoothly again....Anyhow, back to the router issue, what sold me was the "multibeam technology and the 300mbps speed which doesn't do me any good as I don't see it run anything faster than my old wireless G...And apparently this is a single band but on the box it says "b, g, and n certified"...mind you I'm not a big tech person. My knowledge tends to come through trial and error such as now....I'm reluctant in getting something that would not be compatible with linux as i wouldn't be able to even set up...(then again, what do i know) I'm still annoyed that there isn't a blackberry desktop manager for Linux...Ok, so you suggest scraping Belkin products altogether and go for a multiband netgear, I'll try to return this one and see what I can come up with... thank you all for the input....(now where did i put that receipt?)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    +1 on the N600.

jensjeep04 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Any update on this Optimus?

Quote Originally Posted by jensjeep04 View Post
    Any update on this Optimus?
    Sorry I don't have notifications turned on, so i tend to forget about this site;... anywho; I went and got a Linksys dual-band wireless N router from Cisco that is b/g/ and n with the added 5ghz frequency thinking I could split the signal and not hog up my bandwidth. apparently my laptop doesn't support the 5 ghz frequency so i would have to buy an adapter to have that option. Also the signal is about as strong as the belkin N router i returned (minus 1 bar) which is really confusing since all wireless N routers claim to have a stronger signal than the g... but on to the phone...the phone connected fine to it but when it comes to watching a video on youtube it won't play. as soon as i turn off the wifi, it plays fine...

I wish i knew the reasoning behind it although i don't see myself buying yet another router so it can do the same thing, plus watching videos isn't much of a deal breaker at this time. I could have saved myself some time and money just by going with another wireless g router but usually when things break I if not most people take the opportunity to upgrade before technology leaves us behind...this dual band router retails for about 80 bucks and i got it for 30 on amazon which is roughly the price of a "good" wireless g. so that was my thought process in buying it.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Sorry I don't have notifications turned on, so i tend to forget about this site.
    *GASP!* Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    *GASP!* Shame on you.
    i do now.