Hi, I've never seen the benefit of having Wifi but now that I have it ... BlackBerry Bold forum

dazzpowder no está en línea Stack level 2

Wifi Power consumption

Advertisement

Hi,

I've never seen the benefit of having Wifi but now that I have it I love it. My question.

Does anyone know what impact if WiFi is left on has on battery consumption, is it more the same as bluetooth?

is it even negligeable?

Thanks peeps

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    What I've heard is it has the same effect on your battery as bluetooth, most of the battery loss is caused by leaving wifi on all the time and even when your not around a wifi network if could be trying to connect to one, personally I leave mine on all the time and just plug my BB into my desktop. Via USB while I'm working that way my battery is always full and when I'm in one of the areas I have a profile with wifi it automatically connects without me having to turn the wifi feature on and off

dazzpowder no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks rjs87 I do the same now. We have WiFi @ work and I have it @ home so I now just leave it on all day.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I accidentally left the WiFi enabled on my 8120 a few days ago. I forgot I had it on and put it in my backpack. When I remembered it was on several hours later, I had 2 battery power indicators left. The battery was full when I left the house that morning.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    yeah Wifi is a power drainer as it is constantly searching for a network to connect to.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    That's a very good question. WiFi is a small radio in itself that receives the wireless signal from the AP (access point) so it must be powered. The actual amount consumed is far less than the display on your BB, however it is one more component that is operated by the battery. Thus it's important to turn it off when not using it, that way you are saving your battery run time.