Hi, I got my Bold today. It is my first BB with wifi. I manged ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Wifi or GPRS

Advertisement

Hi,

I got my Bold today. It is my first BB with wifi.

I manged to get it connected to my wireless router easily enough - though I had to add it manully as it would not find it automatically.

My question is, if I am surfing the web, will the Bold use GPRS or Wifi, and if it is uses Wifi, presumably it will not count as data on my data plan - or have I got this all wrong?

Thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

paulRN no está en línea Stack level 1
    hi

The BB default settings are to use the wifi first is theres an available connection.

if your in a wifi area and you go online with your BB a wifi symbol will be in the top right of your screen, you wont be charged on your data plan. likewise if the GPRS or EDGE symbol come up, you are being charged. hope this helps.

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by paulRN View Post
    hi

The BB default settings are to use the wifi first is theres an available connection.

if your in a wifi area and you go online with your BB a wifi symbol will be in the top right of your screen, you wont be charged on your data plan. likewise if the GPRS or EDGE symbol come up, you are being charged. hope this helps.
    That helps perfectly.

Thank you so much
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    WiFi does not count against your data plan.

WiFi is great if you have unfettered open access to wireless access points. Unfortunately most WAP's are setup to ask for a password.

Some BB applications are able to switch between GPRS/EDGE/3G and WiFi but some apps cannot use WiFi and depend on GPRS/EDGE/3G data connectivity. You might want to consider stepping up to the extra $10-$20 a month charge for the unlimited data plan just in case.