My 9700 with 5.0 has run so well in the 4 months I've had it ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Why Six Point Oh?

Advertisement

My 9700 with 5.0 has run so well in the 4 months I've had it that I couldn't be happier. It does what I need and want out of a Smartphone effortlessly. For my personal tastes and needs, it has been awesome. I have been just as excited as every other 9700 owner about 6.0 coming up, but now I'm having second thoughts: If 6.0 is intended to compete with Linux (Android) and the Eye Phone, then what would be the point of updating when it becomes available, if that type of "smartphone" is not what I'm into? I got a good thing going here with my Bold, and I don't know if I want to muck it up with a radically different os.

Maybe I'll try it, and if I don't care for it I'll downgrade - - 6.0 is getting less and less "shiny" as the time approaches

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can always revert back to an older OS, right?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Trouble with RIM is they tale too long to do anything. The 6.0 will arrive for the 9700 and it seems to be outdated already... Só much hoopla, and then it fizzes out!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    They'll probably not even be able to run it properly. I think RIM should seiously invest on the software more than on the different housing they come out with every other three months and don't get me started on the applications and themes because they all have to be reworked and adjusted to run on that specific model. Variety's great but when you have the same platform and are not able to do something an older model could do kinda bums you out a little. If anything new models should be capable of handling previous applications and more. Kinda funny how they only seem to be strategically adding 128mbs pogression if that as the newer models keep coming out so they can say it's faster than the one before. Phones nowadays run at 1ghtz as a norm and don't play with its consumers these childish games. I pity the consumers because they are the ones getting conned left and right
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

omerw no está en línea Stack level 1
    well u cant really be sure untill you use 6.0 for yourself.
    the impression i came away with after checking a couple of reviews is that it improves alot of things while at the same time still maintaining the blackberry feel that RIM is known for.
    but like adam said ..... u can try it and if you still feel its not for you, u can always reload the old OS and things should work fine.
    i personally cant wait for 6.0 to be released for the 9700 ///

Quote Originally Posted by omerw View Post
    well u cant really be sure untill you use 6.0 for yourself.
    the impression i came away with after checking a couple of reviews is that it improves alot of things while at the same time still maintaining the blackberry feel that RIM is known for.
    but like adam said ..... u can try it and if you still feel its not for you, u can always reload the old OS and things should work fine.
    i personally cant wait for 6.0 to be released for the 9700 ///
    Oh yeah, everyone knows I won't be able to resist it when it finally rolls out for the 9700. You bet I'll try it.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Did you see this Video link of a Tour running 6.0? It's a bit buggy running an older version and is a beta version I'm sure

http://blackberryrocks.com/2010/08/1...ackberry-os-6/

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    If 6.0 is intended to compete with Linux (Android) and the Eye Phone, then what would be the point of updating when it becomes available, if that type of "smartphone" is not what I'm into?
    You act like the OS will be completely different and you wont know how to do what you do with it. This OS is going to be like a glorified theme, all you basic needs will still be there with a different icon and color scheme. I'm personally excited to see the smooth UI that the videos have shown. Lets just face it, bb browser is terrible we need this upgrade.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

The browser is just about the only thing I'm really looking forwards to with the new OS. Maybe better e-mail HTML & attachment support, but the browser is the big one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    You act like the OS will be completely different and you wont know how to do what you do with it.
    No, that's not what I said at all . . . I think anybody with as much BlackBerry OS experience as we have will fall right in to this new one with no difficulty at all.
    This OS is going to be like a glorified theme, all you basic needs will still be there with a different icon and color scheme. I'm personally excited to see the smooth UI that the videos have shown. Lets just face it, bb browser is terrible we need this upgrade.
    At the time I posted I was unclear what 6.0 would do on a 9700. Since then, we've seen video of 6.0 on the 9700 and it looks fast and smooth enough that I'm not against giving it a try. What interests me now is the markedly faster boot time. Not just because I need a faster boot, necessarily, but the quicker boot might mean a new OS instead of a revamped one (which every single BB OS in history has been), and I'm interested in seeing how it works.

I installed 6.0 (for the Torch) on my netbook and read through blackberry.alx. This alx is different than any other I've seen before. The major difference is that this blackberry.alx is just a loader and is not full of if-then statements. It was written for only the 9800 and for only AT&T and will not work for any other device or carrier. Usually an OS from RIM is tailored to run on several different machines and contains a long series of if-then statements that tell it what to load and what to not load on to a device. We've always used that feature to "unlock" other carrier's themes. A good example is that the 7290 and the 8700 used an identical OS (4.1.0.377) (the 8700 shipped with it, the 7290 had it available as an upgrade) and the OS would use the if-then statements to know what to load onto each device at installation. Not the case with this version of 6.0, it is strictly device-specific and anything loaded (like the themes) are for AT&T only. Not trying to make a point, but it does draw some interesting scenarios: the biggest (to a 9700 owner) is that the 6.0 coming to the Bold is a different OS than the one running on the Torch. Good news. Very uncharacteristic for RIM, but good news nevertheless.

I installed 6.0 (for the Torch) on my netbook and read through blackberry.alx. This alx is different than any other I've seen before. The major difference is that this blackberry.alx is just a loader and is not full of if-then statements. It was written for only the 9800 and for only AT&T and will not work for any other device or carrier. Usually an OS from RIM is tailored to run on several different machines and contains a long series of if-then statements that tell it what to load and what to not load on to a device. We've always used that feature to "unlock" other carrier's themes. A good example is that the 7290 and the 8700 used an identical OS (4.1.0.377) (the 8700 shipped with it, the 7290 had it available as an upgrade) and the OS would use the if-then statements to know what to load onto each device at installation. Not the case with this version of 6.0, it is strictly device-specific and anything loaded (like the themes) are for AT&T only. Not trying to make a point, but it does draw some interesting scenarios: the biggest (to a 9700 owner) is that the 6.0 coming to the Bold is a different OS than the one running on the Torch. Good news. Very uncharacteristic for RIM, but good news nevertheless.
    I wonder if this spells the end of installing OS from other operators before the device's operator gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    I wonder if this spells the end of installing OS from other operators before the device's operator gets it.
    I don't think so, because it looks like the only things that are carrier specific are visuals (like the theme) and sounds. If Tmobile had a 9800, this OS could be used on it (I know in my post yesterday I said it couldn't, but I've come to me senses), but you would only be able to look at an AT&T theme and use AT&T Ringtones. None of the usual selection of themes are present (Bell Mobility, Voda, Tmo, etc) and the AT&T theme is coded to simply load, rather than having a carrier number directive. Like I said, though, I like this - because it means the 6.0 issued to the 9700 Bold will be a new OS, not a reworked Torch 6.0.

I don't think so, because it looks like the only things that are carrier specific are visuals (like the theme) and sounds. If Tmobile had a 9800, this OS could be used on it (I know in my post yesterday I said it couldn't, but I've come to me senses), but you would only be able to look at an AT&T theme and use AT&T Ringtones. None of the usual selection of themes are present (Bell Mobility, Voda, Tmo, etc) and the AT&T theme is coded to simply load, rather than having a carrier number directive. Like I said, though, I like this - because it means the 6.0 issued to the 9700 Bold will be a new OS, not a reworked Torch 6.0.
    Ah OK. Maybe this is how they will squeeze 6.0 onto a 256MB device.