Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It lasts incredibly long! I've owned quite a few phones before and this by far ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3

What's with the 9700's battery life?

Advertisement

It lasts incredibly long!

I've owned quite a few phones before and this by far last the longest.

I'm not a business user but I can see how it would be very reliable.

Just thought I'd point that out

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Every one compliments the battery life on the 9700-- specially with a good OS
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Cause the 9700 is just the best there is lol
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Not to mention memory leak, or lack there of!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's THE BOSS !!!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Its GROOVY!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    It's FAR OUT!!

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    With the new OS, battery life doing me good!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Not to mention memory leak, or lack there of!
    I noticed that myself - I go to Status to look at available memory, my right hand poised to pull the battery cover and then the battery. But then I have to stop myself - the available memory is the same as this time yesterday! Huh?!? This 9700 ain't no mealy-mouth Pearl or sweet-jeans Curve, it's a BOLD, Dad Burn It!!

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    isnt it so nice not being forced to do a battery pull... i hated doing that with the OG pearl
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Quote Originally Posted by SeRViiCiiO View Post
    isnt it so nice not being forced to do a battery pull... i hated doing that with the OG pearl
    But the improvement is not with the device, it is with the OS. The battery drain we had been experiencing on BlackBerry devices for so long is because of File Handles. When an application closes on a PC and on a BlackBerry, it reserves a little memory for itself so it will open faster next time - this little bit of memory is called a File Handle. Test it on your PC - Cold boot your PC, then after it's up and running, start Microsoft Word (or any program of your choosing). Time how long it takes to open. Then close the program, and open it again. You'll notice the second (and subsequent) time it opens, it starts much quicker. On a BB, file handles stack up: meaning every time you open an application, it reserves an additional file handle - hence, the dreaded battery "leak" and the need for battery pulls, which releases file handles. On a PC, the file handles release simply because power is removed (because they use RAM). On a BlackBerry, removing power does not work to remove file handles because BB uses Flash. However, the file handles are removed when the OS re-allocates memory during a cold boot. RIM has changed their OS (5.0+) so that applications either no longer create file handles, or the file handles are "hidden" in the 128mb of memory that is used by the OS. For us here on planet Earth, it means no more battery pulls to increase memory. This, to me, is the biggest advance in 5.0 over previous OSs.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^ Mark THE Man ! Thanks for this explanation. After we read it, it all makes sense, doesn't it ?
    I'm grateful.

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Geez, I wish I could agree about the long battery life... I recharge every night, and by the end of the day, I'm almost completely drained! I try to always close programs when I exit them, but when I exit Google Maps, I do leave Latitude running. Is that perhaps my leak?

Quote Originally Posted by manx driver View Post
    Geez, I wish I could agree about the long battery life... I recharge every night, and by the end of the day, I'm almost completely drained! I try to always close programs when I exit them, but when I exit Google Maps, I do leave Latitude running. Is that perhaps my leak?
    Maybe. What OS do you have? (The newer OS releases seem to have better battery life). Also, there's the possibility that you have a bad battery . . .First thing I would try is to upgrade to OS 5.0.0.680 and see if that helps

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Tks. I have .330, so I'll install .680 this wknd to see if that gives me any improvement. If not, I'll talk to TMO about the battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast