Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Originally Posted by Instrumentality So, I'm wondering if someone who has a bold can provide ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Instrumentality View Post
    So, I'm wondering if someone who has a bold can provide some further input (good stuff in this thread already though.)

I went into an AT&T store to play with one, and one thing that struck me (coming from an 8800) was the trackball seems way smaller or inset too far, or something.

Does anyone else feel like just to touch the thing, the rest of your thumb is making contact with the phone, and therefore causing friction trying to roll the thing around? Maybe its just me, but I have relatively skinny fingers of average length (My hands are certainly bigger than the average woman, but somewhere in the average range for a man. ) and I almost feel like I want to use a stylus to push that tiny trackball around.... it doesn't look much smaller than the 8800, but it feels microscopic.

Am I on crack?

I liked a lot of the other things about it, though it was hard to get a perfect feel with that obnoxious security tether on it. SD door definitely felt destined for breakage with frequent use. I forgot to check for this, but does it just charge with a mini-USB plug like the 8800?

I also noticed what appeared to be a second convenience key.

So I think some good questions to ask would be:

How does it charge?
    Is the button on the right another convenience button?
    How do you feel about it's GSM radio? (For phone calls. Good reception compared to previous blackberry?)
    Does it have a "normal" headphone jack? (Another thing I forgot to check in store, though I think the answer is yes?)
    As I think both have GPS, camera, and WiFi, what on earth is the difference between this phone and the upcoming Javelin/Curve?
    It does indeed charge with mini-usb as opposed to the newer devices that are moving to micro-usb.

Yes the button on the right is another convenience button.

The GSM radio is amazing i get AMAZING reception and calls are crystal clear thanks to 3G.

It does indeed have a 3.5mm headphone jack which you call normal.

The differences between the Javelin and the Bold are the following:
    480x320 screen for the Bold VS 480x360 for the Javelin
    2mp Camera for the Bold VS 3.2mp Camera with autofocus for the Javelin
    3G for the Bold VS 2.5G for the Javelin
    Leather back for the Bold VS Plastic back for the Javelin
    128mb of RAM for the Bold VS 256mb of RAM for the Javelin
    1gb of memory on the Bold VS i believe none on the Javelin
    Normal trackball on the Bold VS Atomic (black) trackball on the Javelin

and thats about it someone let me know what else i forgot please.
    Last edited by ranxoren; 11-10-2008 at 11:51 AM.

xander77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Here is the end all:

WOW!!!!

What tops this? Been with blackberry since the 7290 and I have to say this cannot be better. Love the feel. Love the weight. The screen is unbelievable. The speed is hard to believe. The features are incredible. Especially the media player, which was such an upgrade for RIM. Don't miss anything about the 8800 or the 8310. This device is easily the smoothest I've ever operated. Iphone is nowhere near this thing.

If you have the opportunity, at least spend time with it.

I've read the complaints and I have to disagree....

I cannot complain.

As busy as I am, to have 30% battery life after a 16 hour day.....

Holy smokes.

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by xander77 View Post
    Here is the end all:

WOW!!!!

What tops this? Been with blackberry since the 7290 and I have to say this cannot be better. Love the feel. Love the weight. The screen is unbelievable. The speed is hard to believe. The features are incredible. Especially the media player, which was such an upgrade for RIM. Don't miss anything about the 8800 or the 8310. This device is easily the smoothest I've ever operated. Iphone is nowhere near this thing.

If you have the opportunity, at least spend time with it.

I've read the complaints and I have to disagree....

I cannot complain.

As busy as I am, to have 30% battery life after a 16 hour day.....

Holy smokes.

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Congratz! Im sure youll love it!

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    a lot of people complain about the battery life, but all in all you basically charge it every night while sleeping anyways, surly it will last a full day unless your work Demands 24/7 use of it... perhaps a little probable USB charger like i got would be a nice addition

pepelu no está en línea Stack level 1
    I love everything but the white trackball...I 'd love to see the black trackbaLl they are going to be using in the javelin also in the bold.
    Maybe it will be replaceable in the future who knows..

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    I have brought this up at least three times in three different threads. A friend that used to work for ATT specificaly told me you should wait 3 to 4 weeks to purchase the "hottest" new phone. Allow the manufactuer to work out any remaining kinks in hardware or physical structure. Usually by the second, if not third, production units are just fine
    Oh, heck yeah, the likelihood of getting a bad unit from the first batch is pretty high. I remember when the Curve came out on at&t in June 2007. There were a lot of people have all sorts of issues. About six weeks after I got my Curve I had to XBM because the resetting loop during calls was unbearable. The refurb I got worked pretty well except that I could never get it to notify me when I had an upcoming calendar event. All that stuff seemed to be worked out six months later when I got the 8310.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that after almost a week nothing has cropped up for me since I bought mine on Tuesday -- no one would sell it to me before and I wasn't going for the full price off ebay or other sellers options -- but it may take a few weeks before something comes up.

I am horribly impatient ... I was going to try and wait until the end of the month but I really couldn't deal with my laggy Curve for another minute if I didn't absolutely have to.

So, for those who can wait a month or two, I would recommend it. That'll get most of the bad first batch units out of the supply chain and allow for quality control to catch issues before they get out there.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB
    I got my hands on one in best buy and I thought the menu keys were too big
    I have a curve and its a nice size I've heard its powerful but I believe the evdo with sprint does me just right

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    Oh, heck yeah, the likelihood of getting a bad unit from the first batch is pretty high. I remember when the Curve came out on at&t in June 2007. There were a lot of people have all sorts of issues. About six weeks after I got my Curve I had to XBM because the resetting loop during calls was unbearable. The refurb I got worked pretty well except that I could never get it to notify me when I had an upcoming calendar event. All that stuff seemed to be worked out six months later when I got the 8310.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that after almost a week nothing has cropped up for me since I bought mine on Tuesday -- no one would sell it to me before and I wasn't going for the full price off ebay or other sellers options -- but it may take a few weeks before something comes up.

I am horribly impatient ... I was going to try and wait until the end of the month but I really couldn't deal with my laggy Curve for another minute if I didn't absolutely have to.

So, for those who can wait a month or two, I would recommend it. That'll get most of the bad first batch units out of the supply chain and allow for quality control to catch issues before they get out there.
    Well its a lottery chance that youre taking lol.
    I bought my bold from the first canadian batch on Rogers launch day and ive never had a single issue with it.
    Now mind you two of my coworkers did and they had problems (battery life), exchanged them and now they re fine!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Overall, it seems that the smartest thing to do right now is to wait a few weeks and then jump on the Bold bandwagon! While I know everyone wants the newest devices, in this case, I'm not sure it's a good idea!

Then again, you may get a perfect specimen... Too many decisions!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Clifford938 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a57ef3
    Having used a Pearl/Curve/Nokia E71/ and now a Bold,
    I find the Bold no faster than my Pearl even though it shows 3G
    Keeps constantly switching from EDGE to 3G, I have Razors, LG Shine, LG VU on my family share plans, and they all stick to 3G and very rarely come off of 3G
    I have to go to ATT BIS site to reenter my IMEI and send service books or else no emails come through, every other day
    The browser is bad, it drives me crazy, I have to zoom in to see or be able to read anything, then have to slide left and right to read a complete sentence. If the article is 2 or more pages, have to zoom in on each and every page
    Uses more battery than either phones I have listed, of course it's 3G so I don't fault the Bold for that
    Luckily I kept my Pearl as a backup, maybe should try it for a day and see if I really notice a difference
    Wonder if it's having BB overload because of the Bold, like ATT had when the iPhone came out????

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Thumbs down bold NOT so bold yet

ditto indeed! however i am very sad for all the bad issues i am having with my new bold! thank goodness i still have my curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford938 View Post
    Having used a Pearl/Curve/Nokia E71/ and now a Bold,
    I find the Bold no faster than my Pearl even though it shows 3G
    Keeps constantly switching from EDGE to 3G, I have Razors, LG Shine, LG VU on my family share plans, and they all stick to 3G and very rarely come off of 3G
    I have to go to ATT BIS site to reenter my IMEI and send service books or else no emails come through, every other day
    The browser is bad, it drives me crazy, I have to zoom in to see or be able to read anything, then have to slide left and right to read a complete sentence. If the article is 2 or more pages, have to zoom in on each and every page
    Uses more battery than either phones I have
    listed,
    of course it's 3G so I don't fault the Bold for that
    Luckily I kept my Pearl as a backup, maybe should try it for a day and see if I really notice a difference
    Wonder if it's having BB overload because of the Bold, like ATT had when the iPhone came out????

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I agree with you Clifford938. I played with a Bold at the local AT&T store on two separate occasions and did not find the 3G web browsing any faster the EDGE web browsing on my Pearl 8110. The Bold browser does not seem to render pages as well as the Pearl broswer. Just my opinion.

creahansen16 no está en línea Stack level 1
    The things that are good:
    Screen, overall look, keyboard, speed when using apps

Bad things:
    Fragile (dont ever drop it), gps is terrible (takes 5 minutes to find satellites with BB maps) in a major center, browser not as fast as expected, if wifi left on it drains battery FAST, buggy

And to top it all off mine just stopped working the other day. It kept cycling like it was loading, battery overheated and then it died...poor little dude had no chance. Getting new one so hopefully just had a bad unit. Loved the curve rarely had an issues it seems the bold was rushed!

Newleoness no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24a13745
    Battery life : not so impressive

Size : I've had so many versions of blackberries, size isn't an option
    Screen quality : Love it!
    Speed : Love it
    Processing power : Love it!
    Keyboard: ABSOLUTELY love it. Finally a keyboard that you can type fast on!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.......

amccaffery18 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249FCFC7
    just got my bold 4 days ago. so for the only promblem i have is when i use bbm it doesnt vib when not in case , other than that love everything else ...can hardly put it down. it is awesome

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast