Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Originally Posted by reesemachine Well, bad news for me today. I had to get my ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by reesemachine View Post
    Well, bad news for me today. I had to get my Bold (purchased Tues 11/4) exchanged for another already. It would go into Reset every time I laid it down. Examples: On phone, put it on Bold speakerphone, set it down on the desk and -- boom! -- screen goes black and Red LED right into reset. It took a few minutes to come back up and then another few minutes for me to reach the person who called me to apologize and get things back on track.

The same Reset scenario occurred three more times today before I went back to the AT&T store to make an exchange (once when reading emails, once when playing back some media on the device, showing a video and laying the device on the table). I debated reinstalling the OS, but as a 4 day old device (counting today), I opted to exchange it for another Bold rather than go that route.

So far, this unit is not having any issues. Hopefully, I just got the bad luck of the draw. From the many posts on various forums, that would seem to be the case. I've been gentle with the Bold until I can put an invisishield on the screen and an Otterbox or other good skin case on it to ensure day to day durability.

As far as size, the Bold fits nicely in my pocket (jeans or slacks) just as good as it does in a jacket pocket. I've not had any issues with the Bold being too big, but that is just me

Here's hoping my (new) Bold keeps ticking....
    Sorry to hear that you got a bad unit the first time around. Hopefully your second one will be better and function properly. The basic concept behind the Bold is terrific, now it's a matter of execution on RIM's part to resolve the issues that have caused this model to get off to such a late, and rocky start.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Is that a Bold in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    Well that's a shame, BES Noob, and having pulled the battery door off today I can see how one might be concerned about the tabs on the battery door. I have a skin on my Bold so I suspect whatever tumbles it takes it will cope with just fine. Besides, replacement battery doors are readily available and reasonably priced on ebay with just a cursory look, so it's not something that worries me.

It's fascinating how critical people are so soon. Sometimes I think people just don't want to be happy.
    Well, this thread is to discuss what you like as well as DISLIKE about the bold. So, it only seems normal for users to discuss just that

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Thumbs down

ditto indeed! however i am very sad for all the bad issues i am having with my new bold! thank goodness i still have my curve
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Sorry to hear that you got a bad unit the first time around. Hopefully your second one will be better and function properly. The basic concept behind the Bold is terrific, now it's a matter of execution on RIM's part to resolve the issues that have caused this model to get off to such a late, and rocky start.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    After reading through all these posts, I'm seeing that while people are overall very excited about the Bold, they are a little disappointed with quality assurance. I've actually talked to two people who have gotten them and one of the two got a defective unit.

Glad to hear that some are really excited about theirs!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    Well, this thread is to discuss what you like as well as DISLIKE about the bold. So, it only seems normal for users to discuss just that
    True but there's a difference between listing things that you dislike and just outright bashing a new device. I forgot how critical BlackBerry users are since I had been happily using my Curve for so long.

I also forgot how many problems a device has when it is first launched. I think archer is right when he says it may not be until the second generation of this device that people will generally be happy with it. I had two 8300s. The first one was XBMd because it went into the reset loop on calls. The second one never did notify me of a calendar appointment. My 8310 worked really well but was laggy as hell. And I am remembering now just how much people bitched about the first batch of 8300s on at&t a year and a half ago.

On the other hand it's nice to see that there are people more OCD and more critical than I am.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    I love the Bolds Speed, and now with the New flycast. I love how the bold can stream high quality radio and multitask without the slightest skip or hiccup... wow O.O !! i been using the bold the over a month now, and it keeps finding ways to surprise me....... some of my friends have older computers and i feel as if i got them beat with my phone lol

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    One plus I do like is when you go to mass storage mode two drives open up one for the media card the other for the device memory!

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    I also forgot how many problems a device has when it is first launched. I think archer is right when he says it may not be until the second generation of this device that people will generally be happy with it
    I have brought this up at least three times in three different threads. A friend that used to work for ATT specificaly told me you should wait 3 to 4 weeks to purchase the "hottest" new phone. Allow the manufactuer to work out any remaining kinks in hardware or physical structure. Usually by the second, if not third, production units are just fine

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I am thinking about waiting just for the sole reason that the price may come down.

Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    I am thinking about waiting just for the sole reason that the price may come down.
    I'm quite sure the price will be reduced. RIM put a high premium on the Bold & has plenty of room to move the price downward while still making money. As soon as the initial demand subsides, we should see some price cuts. The timing could not be better, since there are only weeks remaining till years end. RIM has every reason to reduce the price so as to boost sales numbers for the year.
    sent via Curve 8310 the BlackBerry that just works ..

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    When? After the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I'm quite sure the price will be reduced. RIM put a high premium on the Bold & has plenty of room to move the price downward while still making money. As soon as the initial demand subsides, we should see some price cuts. The timing could not be better, since there are only weeks remaining till years end. RIM has every reason to reduce the price so as to boost sales numbers for the year.

It all depends on demand, which I am watching closely, via polling my sources. That said, its my feeling we could see a price cut on Black Friday. If not, then anytime in December. RIM is eager to boost their sales numbers & Verizon is not doing their part as the Storm continues to get pushed back. Therefore RIM will have to reduce the price of the Bold to stimulate year end sales. I would watch carefully. That's just my take.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

CharlieV no está en línea Stack level 1
    Likes: great features (OS) for business use, keyboard is best yet, case is rock solid (doesn't creak like 8888 did), screen is beautiful.
    Easy conversion from 88XX or Curve, leather back looks nice and keeps it from sliding around, 3G, sound quality is superb.

Dislikes: battery hungry, free headset subpar, when it kicks down to EDGE it takes a long time to go back to 3G, and the browser is too small to read in the default mode.
    B (wap.pinstack.com)~

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B
    So, I'm wondering if someone who has a bold can provide some further input (good stuff in this thread already though.)

I went into an AT&T store to play with one, and one thing that struck me (coming from an 8800) was the trackball seems way smaller or inset too far, or something.

Does anyone else feel like just to touch the thing, the rest of your thumb is making contact with the phone, and therefore causing friction trying to roll the thing around? Maybe its just me, but I have relatively skinny fingers of average length (My hands are certainly bigger than the average woman, but somewhere in the average range for a man. ) and I almost feel like I want to use a stylus to push that tiny trackball around.... it doesn't look much smaller than the 8800, but it feels microscopic.

Am I on crack?

I liked a lot of the other things about it, though it was hard to get a perfect feel with that obnoxious security tether on it. SD door definitely felt destined for breakage with frequent use. I forgot to check for this, but does it just charge with a mini-USB plug like the 8800?

I also noticed what appeared to be a second convenience key.

So I think some good questions to ask would be:

How does it charge?
    Is the button on the right another convenience button?
    How do you feel about it's GSM radio? (For phone calls. Good reception compared to previous blackberry?)
    Does it have a "normal" headphone jack? (Another thing I forgot to check in store, though I think the answer is yes?)
    As I think both have GPS, camera, and WiFi, what on earth is the difference between this phone and the upcoming Javelin/Curve?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast