Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Originally Posted by Berryadict ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Very good assessment by BES Noob, outlining my ... BlackBerry Bold forum

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Very good assessment by BES Noob, outlining my impressions entirely. Sold it after one day. Cheap build quality. Couldn't deal with the browser. Waiting for Javelin
    I am curious what you would consider good build quality? What phone have you used that you would consider to be well built? I just want to know what your reference point is so that I better understand your perspective.

Personally I feel like I could injure someone with the Bold ... I mean, it's not quite a Sanyo M1 or a Nextel brick, but having had a Curve and a Pearl the build quality seems improved to me though if you take issue with the painted silver plastic that is pretending to be chrome I can totally understand that.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    A great example is the fact that I received my Bold with a broken Battery cover. There is only 3 clips that hold that cover. Two on top and one main one on the bottom which was the clip that was broken on mine. I don't think that cover will handle much of a tumble if you were to drop your Bold and I really don't want to be the first one to test that theory out!

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well that's a shame, BES Noob, and having pulled the battery door off today I can see how one might be concerned about the tabs on the battery door. I have a skin on my Bold so I suspect whatever tumbles it takes it will cope with just fine. Besides, replacement battery doors are readily available and reasonably priced on ebay with just a cursory look, so it's not something that worries me.

It's fascinating how critical people are so soon. Sometimes I think people just don't want to be happy.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

mikedoan no está en línea Stack level 3
    having gone from the petite pearl to the plump Bold... I miss the one-handedness of the pearl, but i love the functionality of the Bold, the OS is soooooo much slicker.
    BB 7100g (R.I.P.)
    BB Pearl 8100 (R.I.P.)
    BB BOLD 9000 (on the shelf)
    BB STORM (R.I.P.)

iPhone4

yankeed1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    215DEF87
    I just got the bold a couple days ago. I carry two phones, one is an iphone and the other is a bold now which replaced a blackberry pearl 8110. I've also had a curve before that. The iphone definately has the better internet browser over the blackberry, as everybody already knows. The ipod feature beats the bb media player, and the thing that bb hasn't beaten yet, is the compatability with macs. I have two and it sucks the software to sync that comes with blackberry is for windows. Bb really needs to accept the fact its an increasingly apple world and throw in software for it. I don't mean to make this an apple versus bb post, so I'll just say that the bold blew me away. I thought it might be too big, and it is big compared to a pearl, but it's not as big as I thought it would be and it is amazingly thin. If I had to choose just one over the two, considering the main priority is as a communication device I would definately stick with the bold and dump the iphone. I just love this thing. It's a pleasure to type on and the new software is just really cool. I recommend you get one if you were thinking about it. Its a little pricey, but well worth it!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeed1 View Post
    I just got the bold a couple days ago. I carry two phones, one is an iphone and the other is a bold

It sucks the software to sync that comes with blackberry is for windows. Bb really needs to accept the fact its an increasingly apple world and throw in software for it.!
    As a fellow Apple Laptop user I could not agree more with your comment on RIM's oversight regarding Desktop Mgr for the Mac. I will also take it one step further, as I also believe they need to have Desktop Mgr software for Unbuntu Linux. I work in all three environments, win/mac/linux. It would be very easy for rim to make a DM for those three. It's just not that difficult.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    As a fellow Apple Laptop user I could not agree more with your comment on RIM's oversight regarding Desktop Mgr for the Mac. I will also take it one step further, as I also believe they need to have Desktop Mgr software for Unbuntu Linux. I work in all three environments, win/mac/linux. It would be very easy for rim to make a DM for those three. It's just not that difficult.
    Definitely not but to give credit where its due they are working on a whole set of Mac Tools but indeed it took them more than enough time to actually START this process of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Definitely not but to give credit where its due they are working on a whole set of Mac Tools but indeed it took them more than enough time to actually START this process of doing it.
    Thank you for bringing up a fact that I overlooked while writing my post. Albeit incredibly late for them to respond to this valued segment of the BlackBerry user group, at least RIM has finally decided to acknowledge their loyal Mac using customers.

Tito no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203ABD1E
    Too big...

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Too big in size?

I really need to go into a store and check one out before I pull the trigger. I think the larger size may be too big for my liking. Disclaimer: I am a Pearl user.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    Too big...

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    Too big in size?

I really need to go into a store and check one out before I pull the trigger. I think the larger size may be too big for my liking. Disclaimer: I am a Pearl user.

If you didn't care for the size of the 8800 series its really going to be a huge deciding factor because that is what is killing me right now. It's just a shave larger and thicker than the 8800. Definitely too big to place in your pockets.

For Reference, the Bold & the 8800 are exactly the same size:

114 x 66 x 14 mm

source

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    I don't have one. But I have used one. The only thing so far is the trackball and the "two" keys on either side of it. The Trackball is deeper in the device than say my curve, so it's a little bit harder to scroll.
    "Who Dares Wins"

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I don't mind handling a larger device, its just carrying it around that may bother me. I use the OEM leather swivel holster to carry my Pearl. I did handle an 8800. It was not terribly big, but I did not like how square it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    If you didn't care for the size of the 8800 series its really going to be a huge deciding factor because that is what is killing me right now. It's just a shave larger and thicker than the 8800. Definitely too big to place in your pockets.

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well, bad news for me today. I had to get my Bold (purchased Tues 11/4) exchanged for another already. It would go into Reset every time I laid it down. Examples: On phone, put it on Bold speakerphone, set it down on the desk and -- boom! -- screen goes black and Red LED right into reset. It took a few minutes to come back up and then another few minutes for me to reach the person who called me to apologize and get things back on track.

The same Reset scenario occurred three more times today before I went back to the AT&T store to make an exchange (once when reading emails, once when playing back some media on the device, showing a video and laying the device on the table). I debated reinstalling the OS, but as a 4 day old device (counting today), I opted to exchange it for another Bold rather than go that route.

So far, this unit is not having any issues. Hopefully, I just got the bad luck of the draw. From the many posts on various forums, that would seem to be the case. I've been gentle with the Bold until I can put an invisishield on the screen and an Otterbox or other good skin case on it to ensure day to day durability.

As far as size, the Bold fits nicely in my pocket (jeans or slacks) just as good as it does in a jacket pocket. I've not had any issues with the Bold being too big, but that is just me

Here's hoping my (new) Bold keeps ticking....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast