Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Originally Posted by darryl71 i love how fast it is... the full features of Wifi, ... BlackBerry Bold forum

j2bbdev no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by darryl71 View Post
    i love how fast it is... the full features of Wifi, 3G, GPS, its a little heavy, but you get used to it. I picked up my curve the other day and it felt cheap. This feels GOOOOOD.
    could not agree more. after using the bold for a few hours i found myself looking at the curve i have very differently. from the screen to the feel in my hands. i am probably in the minority, but i do not mind the weight. i love a phone that feels like it has substance. the best analogy i can make is someone who has played the piano with weighted keys versus a synthesizer without them. weighted keys provide that feeback that is priceless.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    video camera on any cell phone has been sketchy at best regardless of who made it.

Haven't seen any new OS updates for the bold lately, they used to be one a week before but it seems to have settled. Thought there might a be a new one with the release of the ATT version, but maybe next week : )

romy101 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am not one of those in love with the keyboard. I can't type as fast as I did on my curve. I for one got used to the space between the keys on the curve, as well as the raised keys. With the Bold I am making mistakes typing. I type with the edge of my fingers rather than the soft bottoms of my fingers. With the raised keys of the curve I could click them with more definition. It seems my fingers slide off the keys on the bold when I go to fast and mistype. I hope I can get used to it as I use it more. That said though I like the screen, I like the 3G speed, I LOVE the call quality both in ear and speakerphone, I love the reception I get. I don't like that I am cleaning it all the time

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by j2bbdev View Post
    could not agree more. after using the bold for a few hours i found myself looking at the curve i have very differently. from the screen to the feel in my hands. i am probably in the minority, but i do not mind the weight.
    I really like the weight and size of the Bold as well, it's just the keyboard and WiFi that are the two deal breakers for me. I only mentioned the fuzzy video cam, and the average camera for those that were interested in hearing about it. I would only use the camera about 2% of the time, and never use the video cam. But I have so much email contact with friends, and work that the keyboard just doesnt' work for me. And the funny part is I still like the feel of the 8310 Curve, the Bold didn't change that, as it's simply different. I think the issues will be fixed with the upcoming second generation Bold. Then I will buy that one. With good reliable WiFi and 3G, as well as a better tactile feedback at the keyboard, I could probably adjust to the side by side keys. As soft as they are, there is not enough positive feeling to know without looking that you have registered a keystroke. I tried really hard to adapt and to like my Bold, but it's just not there yet. And in reading the reports I have seen lately I'm not the only one bothered with these issues.

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2
    + Keyboard (better than the 88XX series, and just as good as the Curve 83XX series. Typing as fast as I did on the Curve).

+ Speed. Noticeably faster processing speed. As far as the AT&T wireless network, I've had very good 3G reception in Atlanta. Using on my Wi-Fi network, the browser is super fast.

+ The Screen = Amazing. Watched a video on the Bold and even though it has a smaller screen than some other devices, the video was much sharper.

+ Media / Music: The sound on the Bold (both the external speaker) and when listening on headphones (Shure, not stock) I notice a major difference when comparing to the iPhone. Music sounds awesome on the Bold. Just wish the stock BB media player was a bit more robust (a la MiuTunes or Flipside...).

Bottom line on screen and media is BlackBerry users won't feel like they are "settling" when comparing to other devices.

DISLIKES:

- The plastic "chrome" band edging. This banding feels cheap, and I do have concerns about the housing of the device damaging after the rigors of daily use.

- The external micro SD slot door. Hate it. While a postive is that you don't have to open up the back of the device or remove the battery (yay!!), the external micro SD slot door is flimsy.

During WES, a guy next to me accidentally snapped the door off examining the device. I chalked that instance up to the fact that the demo devices were being handled by hundreds of people. But, on the first day I almost snapped the door off when inputting a micro SD card.

Looks like the Javelin/Curve 8900 will resolve this since the micro SD slot is (again) behind the battery, but that model will not require you to remove the battery to get to the micro SD card.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    * Faster Process Speeds
    * Built in DSP in media player(Equalizer function)
    * BBM easier to update users.
    * Brilliant Screen/ Clarity
    * Camera clarity seems to respond well in darker areas.
    * More built in game choices
    * Video Camera can zoom in and out

Dislikes:

* Keyboard too much like the 8800's a lot of spelling errors
    * Size is considerably larger than a Curve and a bit larger than the 8800
    * Battery drains down considerably faster
    * Holster is a rather nuisance and too bulky
    * The icons are a little more confusing and too many subicons.
    * Only two themes to choose from
    * faux leather backing uses plastic clips to hold up back looks too fragile
    * My backing came already broke and I had to warranty it.
    * No avail. battery charger itself can't purchase multiple batteries to charge sep.
    * No possible way to do Trackball maint.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with the phone so far. I'll give it a week and if I don't like it still I'm going back to my curve. My dislikes really over rule the likes and its not something I can really justify.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think that more than one person in here will agree with me when I say the BB experience is like no other... And with all the different devices out now and the new models to come... It makes it really exciting. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    I haven't posted on pinstack in a long while ... I used a Curve of some flavor (silver from launch to January then a red one from January until Tuesday) for 17 months. I was very ready to upgrade to the Bold. I picked mine up on Tuesday morning and with that being election day I have really been too busy the past couple days (I'm a reporter) to really play with it as much as I would like so these are basic, early impressions.

-Everything is faster. My Curve was driving me crazy with horrible, horrible lag. Faster processor, faster Internet, fast, fast, fast! Being quite impatient I love that this device moves at speeds that can essentially keep up with me.
    -The screen is gorgeous. I love it thus far.
    -Keyboard is awesome. I was concerned about the keyboard because it looked so much like the 88xx series keyboard which I loathed. It was horrible as far as tactile response. Coming from a Curve with the spaced keys and lovely clickiness I was worried I would be unhappy with the keyboard. I find the Bold's keyboard to be well balanced. It is clicky without being stiff. And though the keys are not spaced apart I find that the width of the device is quite roomy. I type quite fast on this keyboard. There was virtually no learning curve.
    -Size/Build quality. This phone feels fantastic in the hand. I was concerned the width would be uncomfortable. I have medium sized hands for a woman. The 88xx and the Motorola Q9h were both too wide to hold comfortably but this seems to work just fine.
    -Did I mention it's freaking fast? Internet is so fast, even EDGE, things fly. When I saw Noah from phonedog unboxing his I was a bit concerned that I would have similar pokeyness even on 3G since in the area I live/work 3G is limited but EDGE is so quick (likely helped by the processor) that I am happy.
    -Pre-loaded software is organized. This is probably more a thumbs up to at&t because all their bloatware is on there but shoved into folders so I don't have to do that myself. Thank you. The OS is snappy and the overall appearance is clean and elegant.

Dislike/concern:

-The only thing that's bugging me right now is that there is not a way (at least not immediately obvious) to get applications out of the folders to minimize having to go through several screens to get to them. I would like to pull Google Maps and OZ IM out of the downloads folder as well as BrickBreaker out of the Games folder so they can be more quickly accessed. I haven't had a chance to really think about doing it or look for a way to do it but that's OK.
    -Wallpapers are hard to find. Heh. This is the one thing that I dislike about the screen is the odd screen size. I need to figure out a way to get wallpapers that I want onto my Bold from sources like photobucket or google images. With the Curve I could download something from either of those to my phone and use them as wallpaper and they fit perfectly. Perhaps this is user error on my part -- maybe there's a setting I need to change in my wallpaper configuration. I dunno.

It's too soon for me to comment on battery life. I'm still on the first full charge from Tuesday night. My Curve would go two to three days on a single charge. Thus far it seems fine. I haven't had a chance to pair it with my Jawbone yet or do much with media or really even mess with the camera. I've taken two pics. That will change because I do snap a lot of random shots with my phone though I do that less since I bought a DSLR about six weeks ago. We'll see.

I immediately sold my Curve and my first gen iPhone (which I had for 10 months) because I know that it will be a good month before I want to put the Bold down. I don't regret this at all as that will end up meaning after the MIR my Bold will be free. Yay.

I have loved it since the first moment I held it. I put a BSE and OEM red silicone skin on it so I am good to go as far as accessories though I may evaluate a Seidio case in the next week or so. Seems less is more anyway.

So that's my lengthy two cents on the matter.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    -The only thing that's bugging me right now is that there is not a way (at least not immediately obvious) to get applications out of the folders to minimize having to go through several screens to get to them. I would like to pull Google Maps and OZ IM out of the downloads folder as well as BrickBreaker out of the Games folder so they can be more quickly accessed. I haven't had a chance to really think about doing it or look for a way to do it but that's OK.
    You can do this. Go to an icon you want to move out of a folder and click on the BB key. Select "Move to Folder" and choose "Home" to move it to the main screen.

Only negative is you can't have nested folders. I would love to create one master AT&T folder and then put the AT&T Mall, CV, Navigator and Music icons into that folder. But I agree, compared to usual AT&T did a decent job of keeping their crap organized. And the AT&T theme is more colorful than the other theme so I like it better.

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
    You can do this. Go to an icon you want to move out of a folder and click on the BB key. Select "Move to Folder" and choose "Home" to move it to the main screen.

Only negative is you can't have nested folders. I would love to create one master AT&T folder and then put the AT&T Mall, CV, Navigator and Music icons into that folder. But I agree, compared to usual AT&T did a decent job of keeping their crap organized. And the AT&T theme is more colorful than the other theme so I like it better.
    Sweeeeet! Thanks. I knew if I mentioned it someone would have a solution. Election Day was a 12 hour day then I put in another eight yesterday ... my brain is not yet recovered.

I haven't gotten so far as to even ponder organization beyond moving things out to where I wanted them. Heh. Hopefully I'll be better able to explore the thing in the next few days.

At 35 percent battery from first charge on Tuesday night, btw.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    My first charge Wednesday afternoon til Thursday Morning at around 6am. Definitely not impressive especially since I never even made a phone call during that time and haven't even used the phone to its full potential.

chopstix no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier87 View Post

For those of you who have gotten your hands on one, does the AT&T Bold come with the belt clip holster or the slip pouch? I need to know whether or not I should get a jump on ordering the belt clip before next Tuesday

It comes with the custom leather holser (with belt clip and magnet)

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    I haven't posted on pinstack in a long while ... I used a Curve of some flavor (silver from launch to January then a red one from January until Tuesday) for 17 months. I was very ready to upgrade to the Bold. I picked mine up on Tuesday morning and with that being election day I have really been too busy the past couple days (I'm a reporter) to really play with it as much as I would like so these are basic, early impressions.

-Everything is faster. My Curve was driving me crazy with horrible, horrible lag. Faster processor, faster Internet, fast, fast, fast! Being quite impatient I love that this device moves at speeds that can essentially keep up with me.
    -The screen is gorgeous. I love it thus far.
    -Keyboard is awesome. I was concerned about the keyboard because it looked so much like the 88xx series keyboard which I loathed. It was horrible as far as tactile response. Coming from a Curve with the spaced keys and lovely clickiness I was worried I would be unhappy with the keyboard. I find the Bold's keyboard to be well balanced. It is clicky without being stiff. And though the keys are not spaced apart I find that the width of the device is quite roomy. I type quite fast on this keyboard. There was virtually no learning curve.
    -Size/Build quality. This phone feels fantastic in the hand. I was concerned the width would be uncomfortable. I have medium sized hands for a woman. The 88xx and the Motorola Q9h were both too wide to hold comfortably but this seems to work just fine.
    -Did I mention it's freaking fast? Internet is so fast, even EDGE, things fly. When I saw Noah from phonedog unboxing his I was a bit concerned that I would have similar pokeyness even on 3G since in the area I live/work 3G is limited but EDGE is so quick (likely helped by the processor) that I am happy.
    -Pre-loaded software is organized. This is probably more a thumbs up to at&t because all their bloatware is on there but shoved into folders so I don't have to do that myself. Thank you. The OS is snappy and the overall appearance is clean and elegant.

Dislike/concern:

-Wallpapers are hard to find. Heh. This is the one thing that I dislike about the screen is the odd screen size. I need to figure out a way to get wallpapers that I want onto my Bold from sources like photobucket or google images. With the Curve I could download something from either of those to my phone and use them as wallpaper and they fit perfectly. Perhaps this is user error on my part -- maybe there's a setting I need to change in my wallpaper configuration. I dunno.

It's too soon for me to comment on battery life. I'm still on the first full charge from Tuesday night. My Curve would go two to three days on a single charge. Thus far it seems fine. I haven't had a chance to pair it with my Jawbone yet or do much with media or really even mess with the camera. I've taken two pics. That will change because I do snap a lot of random shots with my phone though I do that less since I bought a DSLR about six weeks ago. We'll see.

I immediately sold my Curve and my first gen iPhone (which I had for 10 months) because I know that it will be a good month before I want to put the Bold down. I don't regret this at all as that will end up meaning after the MIR my Bold will be free. Yay.

I have loved it since the first moment I held it. I put a BSE and OEM red silicone skin on it so I am good to go as far as accessories though I may evaluate a Seidio case in the next week or so. Seems less is more anyway.

So that's my lengthy two cents on the matter.
    great post!

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Very good assessment by BES Noob, outlining my impressions entirely. Sold it after one day. Cheap build quality. Couldn't deal with the browser. Waiting for Javelin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast