I've always wondered this, but how do you know what desktop software to download? Mine ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

What OS to use?

Advertisement

I've always wondered this, but how do you know what desktop software to download? Mine has 4.6, but I see there is a 4.7 and a 5.0. Should you always go with the highest version?

Does this apply to the Handheld Software too...Should the desktop software always match the handheld version?

Thanks for the input in advance

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    Desktop Software you can go with 5.0, if I'm not mistaken that's the latest... for OS software, load the same OS you have on your device to your PC... if not when you plug it in and run DM it will ask to upgrade/downgrade...

So to clarify, my Desktop Manager should have 5.0 AND my Bold should have 5.0 as well? Right now my BB device has 4.6.0167 (platform 4.0.0.217) and the desktop manager has 4.6.0.13, but I keep getting errors when trying to do a backup. My thinking is the DM has my 8310 version so it's not working

PIN/ID
    DROID
    For your DM update it o 5.0, *(which is a leaked version) or you can just simply use the 4.7 DM, as for the the OS on your Bold does not have to be 5.0, *(5.0 has yet to be officially released) the OS you should have loaded to your PC should be the same as the one on your device... 4.6.0.167, are you on AT&T if so you can download the OS from http://www.att.com/bbdownloads/

What is the difference between the DM and the PC version? I thought there was only a version for the DM and then one for the device

PIN/ID
    DROID
    the DM is just the desktop manager, which will allow you to add apps, delete apps, load new device OS, load music, etc... what I mean by PC version is just the OS (operating system) which you should have installed on your PC... if you're on AT&T download the OS software from http://att.com/bbdownloads, select the bold from the drop down list... download and install to your PC... once you have done this fire up the DM and you should be able to add apps via DM or remove them... if you have no OS on your PC you wont be able to use DM for your device... hope this helps... if not let me know

to check to see if you already have the OS installed on your PC... go to C:/ProgramFiles/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files, I've enclosed a screenshot to help with this... as you can see by my screenshot I have alot of OS's for multiple BB devices loaded to my PC... LOL The folder you're looking for on your PC will be labelled... "9000-v4.6.0.167_p4.0.0.217"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by impak875; 09-21-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks for the detailed instructions! Appreciate it! So whenever I update my device OS, I should update my PC OS correct? Also, I'm assuming that I do not need to delete the old OS from the Loader folder?

PIN/ID
    DROID
    Yes that is correct... update your PC OS as well... and you don't have to delete the old one, if you don't want, I prefer to keep the old OS's on my PC, just in case I need to downgrade my OS...

Thank you
    Last edited by cjeezy; 09-21-2009 at 02:57 PM.