I am not sure what is causing my battery drain. After 4 hours I have ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3

What is draining my battery??

Advertisement

I am not sure what is causing my battery drain. After 4 hours I have lost 2 bars on the battery meter. In comparison, my friend who also has the Bold has a full battery meter after the same amount of time. We even traded batteries to see what would happen and the results are the same. The big difference between his setup and mine is that I have the following programs running:

GMAIL mobile app
    Google Synch
    Facebook

Does anyone know if any or all of these apps are particularly bad in terms of battery drain? I cant imagine that they would be that bad on the battery.

Thanks in advance.

Mandizzle no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CB937C
    Press and hold the ALT button and press the BACK (button to the right of the trackball) and you can scroll to see which apps are running. Just shut down any extra apps that may be running. Chances are you have a number of other apps running in the background that are causing the major battery drain.

Try doing a reset (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and see if it still drains as fast.

Also, try upgrading to the latest official release (.216) if you're using an older version.
    Blackberry BOLD 9700
    PIN: 21CB937C
    O/S: Hybrid

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    that's a good question, my battery drains so often, its not even funny, i practically have the same apps running in the back ground, but can't for the life of me figure out why my Bold is dyeing so fast... maybe i'll update the OS, and see if that makes any changes to system performance...

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thank you for the replies.

First of all, how to I shut down an app completely? I usually go to menu then close but I still see the app running when I press ALT BACK

Also, I checked and it looks like I am running OS version 4.6.0.167 (Platform 4.0.0.157). Is this latest official release?

slucky no está en línea Stack level 1
    Turning of the 3G network helped me a lot. As my battery lasts for about 2 and a half days. I only switch it on when I need to use the web for a long period. And I listen to my music as well on the train.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cestlavie77 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've recommended this post from Hayden before... it's awesome. Made a HUGE difference with my battery life. Check it out:

http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/10_tips_help_extend_blackberry_battery_life-50079/

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    Things you can do:

*Lower Backligh brightness to 10
    *Lower Backlight Timeout to 10-20 sec
    *Turn off LED Coverage Indicator
    (all the stuff above are located under options/screen keyboard)
    *You can also try activating the security lock for 5 min, this will keep your screen dim.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mandizzle no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CB937C
    Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

First of all, how to I shut down an app completely? I usually go to menu then close but I still see the app running when I press ALT BACK

Also, I checked and it looks like I am running OS version 4.6.0.167 (Platform 4.0.0.157). Is this latest official release?
    Certain apps will always be running: Phone, Browser, Home Screen, Messages, and BBM.

.167 is not the latest official release. It might be for your carrier but the latest official is 4.6.0.216. You might want to give it a go and see how that works for you. I know there's been a lot of changes since .167 especially when it comes to battery life and memory management.

Search the 9000 Forums for 4.6.0.216 and you'll find all the information on where to download and instructions on how to install.

Good luck!
    Blackberry BOLD 9700
    PIN: 21CB937C
    O/S: Hybrid

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
    Things you can do:

*Lower Backligh brightness to 10
    *Lower Backlight Timeout to 10-20 sec
    *Turn off LED Coverage Indicator
    (all the stuff above are located under options/screen keyboard)
    *You can also try activating the security lock for 5 min, this will keep your screen dim.

Hope this helps, good luck!
    That's basically all I did and now I can go at least a second day on one charge. Disabling 3G and Wifi didn't do much, what did was dropping screen brightness to 10%.

I don't really see any downsides to the lower brightness as the LCD kicks up to 100% brightness while watching video and while outdoors.

GuyThaLizard no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20944ef6
    I find that any GPS or map type apps will drain my battery quickly especially if you don't realize they are running in the background. I use the "task manager" and scroll through and exit all map and GPS apps when not needed. This makes my battery last much longer. If I am going to use the GPS or mapping apps I use an external power source. Ie: AC or DC adaptor or an external battery pack until the app is no longer in use or the internal battery is fully charged. I also found the photo app will drain power rapidly because I have it enabled to geotag my photos. Handy feature btw when you post your photos to Picasa or Panoramio.

I LOVE the GPS feature on my Blackberry just make sure the app is "Exited" when not in use.

Hope this helps!

Guy

rhin0247 no está en línea Stack level 2
    are you using the Gmail app you downloaded or are you using the Enhanced Gmail Plug-in... because the app used to drain my battery all the time on my bold... now I have the plug-in and my battery will last all day with heavy use

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    For around 4 or 5 days I had the problem of my battery going down fast and then it stopped. Was thinking my battery might be going bad because I checked everything from what was running to rebooting several times a day to see if it helped. Nothing did and I had changed nothing on the BB for a long time. Wondered if something was spying on my phone making it go down because of polling or something. It has stopped so I'm not sure what was going on with it.