I have a monthly allowance on my minutes (500 shared) as well as my home ... BlackBerry Bold forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Voip on BB?

Advertisement

I have a monthly allowance on my minutes (500 shared) as well as my home internet (5GB monthly), so I'm wondering if there is a way to make calls from my BB which won't use either, but instead will use my unlimited data plan?

I was told by someone that I should look into voip, but that if I use it from my BB it will sound bad as well as use my airtime. This is something I don't know much of anything about though. But am under the impression that Skype and Google Talk are examples of apps that use voip (correct me if I am wrong as I don't know)

Does anyone else here use this method to make calls? If so, could you give me some more information on how it works and what are the best apps to use?

Thanks in advance!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Not sure about voip and blackberry, I know that wifi at home does not use data

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    From what I understand, Skype is somewhat limited on BlackBerry, but Google Voice is definitely an option. If you already have a Google Voice number, just download the app on your device, set it up, and voila!

I only had limited use of it when I had a BlackBerry, but it worked as advertised.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Skype works with a skype to go number which you call from your phone (local number normally free), then it goes throgh VOIP, allows you to call international cheaply . If you are with Verizon there is a BB App for Skype. Does not work on any other carrier, this would be fully VOIP I had no problem with quality

Google Voice works as Roger says

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Not sure about voip and blackberry, I know that wifi at home does not use data
    Yeah I would prefer to not use Wifi so I can conserve on my home internet since I'm only allowed so much a month

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    From what I understand, Skype is somewhat limited on BlackBerry, but Google Voice is definitely an option. If you already have a Google Voice number, just download the app on your device, set it up, and voila!

I only had limited use of it when I had a BlackBerry, but it worked as advertised.
    I don't have a Google Voice number as this is something I've just started looking into, but do you know if it will still use my airtime? I thought I read somewhere that it does

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Skype works with a skype to go number which you call from your phone (local number normally free), then it goes throgh VOIP, allows you to call international cheaply . If you are with Verizon there is a BB App for Skype. Does not work on any other carrier, this would be fully VOIP I had no problem with quality

Google Voice works as Roger says
    Yes I am with Verizon and I had the Skype app at one time for IM. Do you know if it will still use my airtime though?

Thanks to everyone for the replies, its appreciated as always
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, GV will use your minutes, but who's your carrier, JB? If you have a "friends" plan or something like that where calls to your friends are free, just add your GV number your "friends" or "favorites" and it will in essence be free.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Yes, GV will use your minutes, but who's your carrier, JB? If you have a "friends" plan or something like that where calls to your friends are free, just add your GV number your "friends" or "favorites" and it will in essence be free.
    That's a bummer

I'm with Verizon and they do have plans which include a "friends & family", but my plan is unfortunately not one of them. The plan I have has not been available for years, however, I've been grandfathered into it. So I've not wanted to change to another plan (all others are more than I pay now) because I won't be able to switch back later if I need/want to.

But thanks for the info
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info