Results 1 to 13 of 13

So, been thinking about putting a black bezel on my phone [again] and wondering if ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    darryl71's Avatar
    darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Posts
    716

    Void my warranty... really ?

    Advertisement



    So, been thinking about putting a black bezel on my phone [again] and wondering if I put it on, something happens to my phone, and I switch back the silver bezel again, send it back to Rogers and get a replacement......

    Will Rogers actually charge me for opening up the other phone? Or does it depend on the damage to the phone, cause really the damage would have occurred regardless of me opening it up.

    ex..... phone slipped in the hot tub
    ex..... coffee cup spilled all over the keyboard and LCD
    ex..... fell in the shredder [ok... probably not possible]

    Any insiders know what the big "R" would do?

    Just speculation... my bold(s) are fine

  2. #2
    x doubl3 a's Avatar
    x doubl3 a no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    249FA6EC
    Posts
    47
    im pretty sure they would not cover any damages regardless of accident or not. I know from working at att, they will NOT cover it if you open up your device. Its pretty much CRAPPY but i do it anyway! On my att bold they put a white sticker over one of the screws to let them notify if it has been tampered with. When i had my curve there was actually nothing like this, so i would take it apart all the time! But apparently att has improved their minds! i Just replaced my att bold with a black bezel, buttons, and black trackball. IT LOOOOKS SO SHARP. You can check it out in a thread on the main page.
    Rockin' a 9530 on VZW(OS 4.7.0.141), 8330 on VZW.
    [BEST OF BOTH WORLDS]

  3. #3
    darryl71's Avatar
    darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Posts
    716
    Yeah I opened up my first bold and noticed the white tab, I also replaced, painted curve cases and changed them all the time (iin fact I have a few shades still untouched) but I guess they are cracking down on this. A shame... I might switch my black onto the bold I am using now..... I do have a backup one now lol

    Just wondering if Rogers has policy on this or not.... or how strict they would be IF it was to happen.

    thx for the post !

  4. #4
    offthahorseceo's Avatar
    offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Posts
    1,562
    if you switch out the bezel because its scratched, and do a good job of replacing the white sticker or otherwise, youll be fine.

    but if any of that other stuff happens the warranty is void anyway

  5. #5
    BenTrovato's Avatar
    BenTrovato no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Here... let me help you out with it.

    #1 Read the service agreement.
    #2 Ask for permission:
    Dear Rogers, my screen is scratched and I would like to add a new one. I am fairly competent with technology and can do it myself without compromising the device. I have purchased the screen and am ready to install, can I have your consent that doing this myself does not void the warranty? If you feel it does, you can offer to replace the screen yourself at no cost to me and I will provide you with the new screen. Your non-response within 10 days of receiving this letter indicates your acceptance that I can replace the screen without voiding the warranty.

    Regards,
    Happy customer

    #3 Send through registered mail and wait. After 10 days go ahead and replace it, if in the future they give you warranty hassles, you have evidence they consented to you replacing the screen and they agreed not to void the warranty.


    Remember, always ask for consent but put the stipulation of what their non response means. If you are not competent with technology, do not lie. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do this. You must remain in honour at all times.

  6. #6
    Ge's Avatar
    Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    738
    Rogers does not offer insurance for any of their devices. All phones are warrantied for one year from defects. Not from accidents.

    Once you buy the phone, it is yours. Do as you wish, if the phone is defective, you will get a replacement (refurb). If you dropped or scratched it, well, too bad.

    They will however, in case of a lost or damaged phone, give you replacements at a reduced price if you commit for an additional 3 years. There are rules for that as well, your must have a price plan that is over $30 per month and have to be at least one year into your contract.

    I could be wrong, but that is what I am led to believe.

  7. #7
    Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
    Here... let me help you out with it.

    #1 Read the service agreement.
    #2 Ask for permission:
    Dear Rogers, my screen is scratched and I would like to add a new one. I am fairly competent with technology and can do it myself without compromising the device. I have purchased the screen and am ready to install, can I have your consent that doing this myself does not void the warranty? If you feel it does, you can offer to replace the screen yourself at no cost to me and I will provide you with the new screen. Your non-response within 10 days of receiving this letter indicates your acceptance that I can replace the screen without voiding the warranty.

    Regards,
    Happy customer

    #3 Send through registered mail and wait. After 10 days go ahead and replace it, if in the future they give you warranty hassles, you have evidence they consented to you replacing the screen and they agreed not to void the warranty.


    Remember, always ask for consent but put the stipulation of what their non response means. If you are not competent with technology, do not lie. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do this. You must remain in honour at all times.
    Just remember that even if they don't answer, it may not supersede the warranty. I don't think they are obligated torespond.

  8. #8
    Ge's Avatar
    Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    738
    Even if you try to claim the warranty with your letter in hand, I doubt they will honour it. Unless it was signed by Ted himself.

  9. #9
    jdk2's Avatar
    jdk2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Even if you try to claim the warranty with your letter in hand, I doubt they will honour it. Unless it was signed by Ted himself.
    Agreed. Their legal department would tear that letter apart.

    Interestingly having Ted's signature now may actually be worth something. May he rest in peace.

  10. #10
    BenTrovato's Avatar
    BenTrovato no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    Agreed. Their legal department would tear that letter apart.

    Interestingly having Ted's signature now may actually be worth something. May he rest in peace.
    This is because you do not understand contract law. You have created the contract and their non-response creates the dishonour which they are now obliged to conform to. This is the nature of our world - if you believe otherwise that is fine, but how things work differs from what you believe. You can only hope they don't respond, that's great news!! The legal department cannot tear the letter apart they can only tear you apart for not understand what you did.

    To avoid getting yourself into trouble, your response to them not wanting to do something is "ok that's fine, put it in writing". They'll never do that because they'll be in hot water beyond belief. It sounds like these comments are made because you have been made to fear "legal departments" or whatever. There is nothing to fear, you paid good money for something and if you remain in honour through communication, they are the ones who must fear you if they choose to not respond. Your knowledge is the only hinderance here. Let's be honest, at least say "I'm scared to do this" or "I don't have the knowledge to do this" or "I don't believe this" but please don't say "the legal department will tear you apart" - it's simply not true. If the letter ever made it to the legal department (which you would hope - they generally don't get involved for $500 phones) they would replace your unit immediately because they understand contract law. Your obstacles are low level csr's who do only what they are told and do not have the knowledge to complete this, this is why you ask for it in writing
    Last edited by BenTrovato; 01-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.

  11. #11
    jdk2's Avatar
    jdk2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    63
    OK, I'll bite. I don't have the knowledge to do this. Only many years of experience with large corporations who make it to the top on the consumers back. RIM, Apple, AT&T and many others have warranties in place to ensure the consumer will be protected in case of material defect. It could be argued that these warranties were produced because of consumer demand or outright legislation on the governments part. I don't know. To expect any one of them to provide warranty service for a device that's been altered is ludicrous at best. However, if you want to alter your phone and circumvent the system by sending certified letters asking permission and setting a timeline for a response, that's your business. I stand by my statement that their legal department would chew your defense to shreds. And I don't believe you'd have any luck in pursuing legal action against them either. But who am I?

  12. #12
    darryl71's Avatar
    darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Posts
    716
    I think you are right JDK, if you tamper with it.... no matter what minor thing you do to it, would in effect void the warranty. Now how far they will go to verify that you did or didn't tamper with the device I guess would be up to the company.

    If they have already replaced the device before they receive it, I remember them saying if its not returned I would be charged 5xx for it. But if I returned it in "Pretty good condition" with their original case, not beat to hell, no significant scratches on it that would indicate a damaged board or abuse, then I am not sure they would charge me 500 or 600 for a piece of missing white tape on a screw.

    It would have to be significant (screw driver scratches on components, crazy glue all over the board, or something ludicris and obvious like that that.

    Legally i would assume they could say I alterted it and charge me... but I doubt they would be that harsh to a customer of x years.

  13. #13
    BenTrovato's Avatar
    BenTrovato no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    OK, I'll bite. I don't have the knowledge to do this. Only many years of experience with large corporations who make it to the top on the consumers back. RIM, Apple, AT&T and many others have warranties in place to ensure the consumer will be protected in case of material defect. It could be argued that these warranties were produced because of consumer demand or outright legislation on the governments part. I don't know. To expect any one of them to provide warranty service for a device that's been altered is ludicrous at best. However, if you want to alter your phone and circumvent the system by sending certified letters asking permission and setting a timeline for a response, that's your business. I stand by my statement that their legal department would chew your defense to shreds. And I don't believe you'd have any luck in pursuing legal action against them either. But who am I?
    Thank you! At least you are honest.

    I said what I said because I have done what I said. You can't go around buying devices and doing what you want to them, that's why you have to remain in honour - legally that means something. It means communicating and giving the opportunity for input. The letter I suggested is an amendment to the service contract. IF they do not agree, they have an opportunity to respond.

    If someone sues you, do you just not respond and then when you feel like it, "chew" them to pieces? It doesn't work that way. Non-response is very powerful. I never screw Rogers, I pay them - they give me a service. I don't write them and say I want to put purple sparklies on my device, it's not honourable. If my trackball breaks, I'll write them explaining I prefer to fix it myself. It's just how our commercial system works, it's actually very powerful when you learn to use it to your advantage. I have a great relationship with Rogers.

    Again, don't take what I say as advice, I'm just sharing what I do with devices. When you pay a few hundred bucks for something, it's nice to have the warranty and I take the proper steps to ensure the warranty is not voided. I'm not telling you what you should do, I'm sharing what I do. Everyone is free to proceed as they wish

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •