Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by GaryF Here is PS on the 8220 browser. You would have to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Here is PS on the 8220 browser. You would have to have some pretty good vision to read this...

Not to dispute that your 8220 has problems viewing pinstack, but my Bold with .190 is nothing like that. The font is small and I do have to have to use my reading glasses to read anyway. Not as good as my 8820, but so far so good. Maybe I'm just lucky and the worst is yet to come. Just my two cents.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Female_MC View Post
    Oh no not being able to visit Pinstack on my Bold when I get it...hope they can work something out very soon.

Oh, but you are are able to view PS on your bold. It's just that the font is small and if you magnify it, you have to scroll all over the place to read it.

ygthb no está en línea Stack level 2
    i know it is not a browser, but many forums have RSS feeds, and I think Viigo carries pinstack as a default. sure it is not a browser, but the readability should be better
    ART

Mot 7868 -> Mot v60 ->
    TREO 650 -> TREO 750 (2d) -> TREO 680 (2m) ->
    BB 8100 -> BOLD

I also believe that you can subscribe to rss in the browser
    ART

Mot 7868 -> Mot v60 ->
    BB 8100 -> BOLD

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ygthb View Post
    i know it is not a browser, but many forums have RSS feeds, and I think Viigo carries pinstack as a default. sure it is not a browser, but the readability should be better

But doens't Viigo ultimately redirect you to PS, via the browser?

I am looking at it, no it does not redirect to the browser, however, it is a decidedly different experience than just working the forums. it is easy to read though.
    ART

Mot 7868 -> Mot v60 ->
    BB 8100 -> BOLD

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    The real issue with RSS feeds is that, while they are great for reading forums, they don't allow posting.

Archer is one of the more prolific posters and a very helpful one at that. I think he's really looking for a way to be able to contribute while on the go.

I do like the RSS feeds though. Good way to get news or announcements.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    The real issue with RSS feeds is that, while they are great for reading forums, they don't allow posting.

Archer is one of the more prolific posters and a very helpful one at that. I think he's really looking for a way to be able to contribute while on the go.

I do like the RSS feeds though. Good way to get news or announcements.
    At first I thought it was all forums as three of them I visit daily are just like PinStack....tiny, tiny fonts in the posting area threads. Then I went to another forum and found that it's ideal. Easily read and renders in a way that is very easy to work with.

I've switched to my Bold as my main BB now and as a result my desire to post here is nil. And it's important to note that I have perfect 20/20 and was just checked 2 months ago. Thus if it's this bad for me, anyone with compromised vision is going to find it even more impossible.

mjwood0
    , I would appreciate you looking at this forum in comparison to PinStack and perhaps you can assess what needs to be done to resolve the issue here.

Thanks
    archer

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Archer:

The first thing I notice about the other forum is that it's powered by phpBB instead of vBulletin.

The other striking thing to note is that there are no tables in the phpBB forum. Everything is done via CSS Style sheets which in my opinion, is a much better, cleaner and more elegant design.

However, those tidbits aside, my best guess for why it displays properly is that the font is not a fixed size. Instead, they use an elastic layout by specifying fonts in "em" instead of points (pt).

Here is a good link describing how this all works:
    http://jontangerine.com/log/2007/09/...youts-with-css

Essentially, the EM unit of measure allows a designer to specify relative sizes. So if the default font size on a page is 10pt (as I believe the other forum's is), a font size of 1.1 em is really 1.1 * 10pt = 11 pt. By this same token, a font size of 0.8 em is really 0.8 * 10 pt = 8 pt. (It becomes clear why most designers use a default size of 10 pt as the math is much easier!) However, as a user changes their font size via browser to make it larger or smaller, the default changes and everything scales in relation. Really, this is a much better way of design for many reasons.

However, it also comes at the risk that people will scale the sizes to such a large font that nothing looks good. While this is a risk, it can be mitigated through proper web design and careful testing.

Overall, I really prefer phpBB to vBulletin. However, both provide a decent user experience on a full browser. It appears that thorugh your experience, phpBB is slightly better for mobile devices.

Hope this helps a little!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Archer:

The first thing I notice about the other forum is that it's powered by phpBB instead of vBulletin.

The other striking thing to note is that there are no tables in the phpBB forum. Everything is done via CSS Style sheets which in my opinion, is a much better, cleaner and more elegant design.

However, those tidbits aside, my best guess for why it displays properly is that the font is not a fixed size. Instead, they use an elastic layout by specifying fonts in "em" instead of points (pt).

Here is a good link describing how this all works:
    http://jontangerine.com/log/2007/09/...youts-with-css

Essentially, the EM unit of measure allows a designer to specify relative sizes. So if the default font size on a page is 10pt (as I believe the other forum's is), a font size of 1.1 em is really 1.1 * 10pt = 11 pt. By this same token, a font size of 0.8 em is really 0.8 * 10 pt = 8 pt. (It becomes clear why most designers use a default size of 10 pt as the math is much easier!) However, as a user changes their font size via browser to make it larger or smaller, the default changes and everything scales in relation. Really, this is a much better way of design for many reasons.

However, it also comes at the risk that people will scale the sizes to such a large font that nothing looks good. While this is a risk, it can be mitigated through proper web design and careful testing.

Overall, I really prefer phpBB to vBulletin. However, both provide a decent user experience on a full browser. It appears that thorugh your experience, phpBB is slightly better for mobile devices.

Hope this helps a little!
    Excellent, Thanks mjwood0 for identifying this. At least now I have a clear vision of just what is happening. While obviously it does not fix the issue for those of us using OS 4.6, perhaps as we go forward and more of our devices are using 4.6 and higher, something can be done with this forum.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    At least knowing that it shouldn't take too long fr RIM to do something about this.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)
    Does opera mini have the same issue with rendering the small or should I say tiny font?

Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    At least knowing that it shouldn't take too long fr RIM to do something about this.
    Based on?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I thought I had good eyes until I tried wikipedia on the bold without zooming. Give it a go, yes? And report how easy it is to read that. Not easy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    Got my Bold yesterday and here's my input on the topic:

I wil admit at first that I was a little startled by the way the 4.6/Bold's browser renders some pages, but in all honesty I actually prefer it. This is going to be largely dependant on the individual however, I have outstanding vision and have literally no issues reading anything on Pinstack or any other site when the browser is zoomed out in page view. If I really want a better look at the page I don't find it akward at all o have to zoom in momentarily. While I agree that the font size in page mode (when zoomed outy is on the small side, I'd much rather have things the way they are then be forced to view everything in mobile or column view.

Again, this is all personal preference...I agree that the font sizes should be larger when zoomed out, but I have absolutely no issues with the way it is.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'm gonna give opera mini a shot, by the slim chance that it is something happening JUST with the browser itself.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast