Hi Guys I have a 9780, and was thinking of something, can I use my ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Deraboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Using BIS through laptop?

Advertisement

Hi Guys

I have a 9780, and was thinking of something, can I use my BB 9780 and like it's BIS internet services through my laptop? I have tried the tether app, but it's not working and a friend tried it, but it charges or takes off money from the contract. Is there a way that is free using your current BIS service on the BB

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Deraboy View Post
    Hi Guys

I have a 9780, and was thinking of something, can I use my BB 9780 and like it's BIS internet services through my laptop? I have tried the tether app, but it's not working and a friend tried it, but it charges or takes off money from the contract. Is there a way that is free using your current BIS service on the BB
    Try Fixmo Extend...

I've used the free version to tether my 9650 to my laptop a number of times over the last several months and it works well as far as free apps go.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Hi Guys

I have tried tether , and it will work, but you might be careful, as some carriers dont allow that and will slap you with some heavy fees BC of it. You dont specify who your OSP is or What laptop, and there are some settings that have to be adjusted depending n your carrier/device combination. Give us some more info and we will be happy to help all we can.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Hi JavaBratt

Thanks for the reply, I am in South Africa, and my carrier is Vodacom(Powered through Vodafone). I am using a HP Compaq, don't know the full specs of the laptop, and it's running on Windows 7 Ultimate. Hope this helps

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I will have to relent this one to someone more common with them. I only know US carriers. Do you know your carriers policy on DATA??

Do they have specifications against tethering??

Just found this, I knew it existed somewhere still. These are the settings that you need to be sure your web access is correct(especially if you have an unlocked phone or one from a different carrier) TCP/APN/WAP settings
    Last edited by thbassman; 08-04-2011 at 04:06 AM.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Hi JavaBratt

Thanks for the reply, I am in South Africa, and my carrier is Vodacom(Powered through Vodafone). I am using a HP Compaq, don't know the full specs of the laptop, and it's running on Windows 7 Ultimate. Hope this helps
    You're quite welcome Deraboy!

Keeping in mind what Thbassman stated, you do have to be careful as the vast majority of carriers do require you to pay a fee for tethering your device to your PC. Which is why I opted to go with Fixmo Extend rather than Tether because I found a number of reviews for Fixmo which stated the carrier cannot distinguish what the data is technically being used for as it appears on the carrier end as just being data used by an app as any other. I did not see anything stating the same about the Tether app. Plus, I am with Verizon who is a carrier that charges extra monthly for this feature ($20/2GB on top of the $30 I pay for so-called "unlimited").

I can't say that I know for sure if Fixmo Extend is available in South Africa or not, however, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Just search App World for it when you get time, that's where I got mine and for someone like me who has an allowance on my home internet, it has saved me quite a few times. I also have Windows 7 and it hasn't presented any real issues to speak of. It will drop occasionally, but I think that may be a Verizon issue and not a Fixmo issue.

But if I come across anything else, I will make sure to let you know
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Java bratt thx for the info, i have won tether, but the other sounds worth checking into. . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    Java bratt thx for the info, i have won tether, but the other sounds worth checking into. . .
    You're welcome

I wasn't willing to part with the money to get the Tether app personally. Now if I had won a copy, it would be another story LOL! But as I said, for a free app, Fixmo has done the trick for me. Plus I like what a lot of the reviews said as far as carriers detecting it

I believe the free version will get you 50MB/month and the paid version is unlimited for a one time price of $14.99. But the free version has suited me well this far
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

JavaBratt

Thanks a mill for the reply, you have shared some valuably information regarding Fixmo, which is something I will definately be checking out. I gota love technology hey, it's good that even though we are not even close and reside in different countries, we can share knowledge and ways that can benefit us, will revert back to you with the outcomes of Fixmo, once again thanks, you are the Man!!!!

JavaBratt

Thanks a mill for the reply, you have shared some valuably information regarding Fixmo, which is something I will definately be checking out. I gota love technology hey, it's good that even though we are not even close and reside in different countries, we can share knowledge and ways that can benefit us, will revert back to you with the outcomes of Fixmo, once again thanks, you are the Man!!!!
    You're more than welcome. I'm always happy to help in anyway that I can :-)
    I agree... technology is a wonderful thing!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
    You're welcome

I wasn't willing to part with the money to get the Tether app personally. Now if I had won a copy, it would be another story LOL! But as I said, for a free app, Fixmo has done the trick for me. Plus I like what a lot of the reviews said as far as carriers detecting it

I believe the free version will get you 50MB/month and the paid version is unlimited for a one time price of $14.99. But the free version has suited me well this far
    Good to know!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    JavaBratt
    once again thanks, you are the Man!!!!
    JavaBratt is a woman, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    JavaBratt is a woman, fyi.
    Thank you! I get tired of being the one to point that out LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Hey Java, my bad, I stand corrected then, you are the Woman...lol

But on the fixmo note, I installed the desktop manager and the app on my blackberry, it connects and the connection is active, however when I load the internet explorer, it does not connect, what I am doing wrong. Please help

Hey Java, my bad, I stand corrected then, you are the Woman...lol

But on the fixmo note, I installed the desktop manager and the app on my blackberry, it connects and the connection is active, however when I load the internet explorer, it does not connect, what I am doing wrong. Please help
    This may be a silly question, but did you install the Fixmo desktop manager or the Blackberry desktop manager? I only ask because when I originally got it with my 8530 I thought it was referring to the Blackberry DM and it wasn't lol.

If you have both the fixmo DM and app the only suggestion I can make is to contact support because I honestly couldn't tell you why it won't connect. I use IE 8 and Firefox, neither of which has given me a problem. I did have the newer IE, 9 I believe, that gave me nothing but problems. Can't remember if I tried it with fixmo or not, but I know it was bad enough I got rid of it and went back to 8.

I really wish I could be of more help on this, but unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about the technical end of it. I do know their support is pretty good though. I had emailed them recently and it only took a day or two for them to get back to me.

Again, sorry I can't be of more help
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info